Amazingly, Crow and Scheppers are both not in the first round due to signability concerns. He also provides the caveat that this will change overnight and his mock tomorrow will be different.

1. Strasburg

2. Ackley

3. Tate

4. Sanchez

5. Z Wheeler

6. Matzek

7. White

8. Miller

9. Turner

10. Miner

He says if Wheeler is gone, he doesn't know what we will do but we might take Matzek.

Uh, Crow and Scheppers out of the first round due to signability concerns? I really doubt that. If anything, these guys should be eager to sign and get their careers started. Does anyone think that Schep and Crow want to pitch in the Indy league next year? Their leverage is gone, and they'll sign, no doubt about it in my mind.

Wow, Im sorry, but I am not going to ever be able to put any weight into any thing KLaw says from now on.....Why would Scheppers and Crow dropo due top signability, but Tate still picked #3? Tate will probably get the 2nd highest signing bonus of all these guys, I dont understand Laws reasoning, maybe someone can enlighten me?

lol. There's no way Crow drops out of the top 5, let alone the first round. He has almost no signability concerns, since everyone knows he can't afford to spend another year in indy ball.

Can't believe they pay Keith Law to come up with this dribble.

lol. There's no way Crow drops out of the top 5, let alone the first round. He has almost no signability concerns, since everyone knows he can't afford to spend another year in indy ball.

Can't believe they pay Keith Law to come up with this dribble.

Seriously, let's start an email campaign and get Greg and I to take over Law and Churchill's spots.

If the draft plays out like Law's mock I would want the O's to pick up (assuming he got through compensatory picks) Rich Poythress. He is a power hitting 1B/3B...He isn't the best fielder but he hit .376 with 25 HR's and 86 RBI's...He is probably one of the closest position players to major league ready. If the O's could get him in Round 2, I would love it.

Call me crazy, as I know little about the draft process... but am I wrong in thinking that the Orioles are probably leaning towards a college pitcher? With that, I'd say I'm preparing myself for Alex White or Leake.

Call me crazy, as I know little about the draft process... but am I wrong in thinking that the Orioles are probably leaning towards a college pitcher? With that, I'd say I'm preparing myself for Alex White or Leake.

They will more than likely end up with a pitcher in the first round, I would think it would be a college pitcher, but other people might be pulling for a high school prospect. High schoolers are more risky but also are higher reward. I would like to see the O's pick Crow if he falls. He could make an impact in the near future. The two players I would like to see the O's take with No. 5 are Ackley and Crow, but there is a chance neither of them fall.

I'd bet on Crow, Matzek, or Wheeler being our pick, depending on availability. Any of the 3 will be worthwhile additions to our system.

Well, I would normally expect a college pitcher, but in our slot we may be reaching to pick a college pitcher and ignoring the BPA strategy. I would be happy with White, but that is the only college pitcher who wouldnt be a reach, Mike Leake would be a reach at 1:5, but I think he is the next Troy Patton, a full arsenal of average stuff which plays up because he has plus command and knows how to pitch. Crow and Scheppers are possibilities, and I think we would take Crow if he was available, if Crow isnt there, then we take a HS arm I think. It is looking like either Matzek or Wheeler. Apparently the O's have brought both White and Wheeler to Baltimore so the brass could take a look at them....By tomorrow we will either have drafted Crow, Matzek or Wheeler.

Scheppers used to be mentioned amongst the top picks, but within the last week, his stock has fallen off somehow, possibly his medical reports have come out and teams arent too enthused with it, but I would sure love to be picking at around 1:10 and be able to nab the pitcher with the 2nd best stuff in the draft.....But you also gotta remember that he apparently had the same injury that kept reoccuring for Loewen which forced him to give up pitching for good.

In the end, both Matzek and Wheeler IMO will be atleasdt as good as Crow and Scheppers, but with the chance to be a #1.....Though this draft is considere weak, the HS arms shouldnt be confused with that notion, they are very strong this year and we could easily come off with the next Beckett or Kershaw.....

On a side note, about 3 weeks ago, draft slots 1-11 were all very similar in ability and ceiling, but its crazy how things sorted themselves out, in the top 11 picks this year, I can safely label it into 3 tiers which would have been impossible about a month ago. Tier 1(Strasburg) Tier 2 (Ackley Crow Matzek Wheeler Tate) Tier 3 (Turner Miller Purke White Green)

You may be able to swap Turner and Tate, but it depends who you ask, I have even read one site say that Tates upside rivals Strasburg's....

Archived