Signablity vs. BPA

I figure this post probably belings in this forum.

No, it's not completely inexcusable if a few things are in play:

1. Two players are extremely closely rated...go with signable.

2. You've targeted many "signability" guys for later in the draft and need to free up money (though it should still be linked to #1).

3. You plan on heavily investing in international free agency for guys like Sano, or somewhat lesser.

Our first pick won't happen in a vaccuum.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's irrelevant. We still knew Wieters was going to be a tough sign and we drafted him and signed him regardless of who was actually in charge of either process.

Are you saying that MacPhail would not have drafted Wieters?

I think that's been alluded to in the past from some "insiders." I almost swear I saw it in print but can't seem to find it now.

To me, this idea of being "rated even" or having a bunch of players being equal is ridiculous. They may be rated closely right now, but we all know that the chances are one or two of them will go on to disgustingly successful ML careers, and one or two of them will probably either never make it or become average big leaguers at best.

So you take the guy that is just a little better than the other guys because that's the guy most likely to pull ahead of the pack.

It's like buying cars. If you test drive 4 cars and learn everything there is to know about them, they won't be "equal." At the end of the day, you will have a favorite. There may be a little about each car that you like or dislike, but, money being no object, you will go with the car that sticks out as better than the rest.

I'm not even sure this is true.

Signability should be a factor when players are rated closely to one another. Where teams can get in trouble and really hurt themselves is when they go for straight signability and reach too much. It's similar to the drafting for need in pro football. The bigger the gap between the talent of the players the less signabilty or need should be a factor. In the case of say Matzek vs Wheeler I don't have a problem with the O's taking Wheeler over Matzek since he is considered the easier sign and both are almost consensus top 10 players with similar ceilings . What would I wouldn't be too happy with is reaching for Hobgood or Minor at #5.

Signability should be a factor when players are rated closely to one another. Where teams can get in trouble and really hurt themselves is when they go for straight signability and reach too much. It's similar to the drafting for need in pro football. The bigger the gap between the talent of the players the less signabilty or need should be a factor. In the case of say Matzek vs Wheeler I don't have a problem with the O's taking Wheeler over Matzek since he is considered the easier sign and both are almost consensus top 10 players with similar ceilings . What would I wouldn't be too happy with is reaching for Hobgood or Minor at #5.

This pretty much mirrors my thoughts.

Archived