Just an overall thought: in Jordan I trust

We're hearing all kinds of opinions about who we should pick at no. 5, and it's apparent that there is unlikely to be a clear choice when our pick comes around. So I will just leave it at this: in Jordan I trust. The guy's success rate has been pretty darned good in the 4 years he's run the draft, and while you can point to some picks that have failed, or which now appear likely to fail, overall his track record has been good, especially with the pitchers. I'm glad he's the one who will make this decision, and whoever he picks, I will be supportive.

We're hearing all kinds of opinions about who we should pick at no. 5, and it's apparent that there is unlikely to be a clear choice when our pick comes around. So I will just leave it at this: in Jordan I trust. The guy's success rate has been pretty darned good in the 4 years he's run the draft, and while you can point to some picks that have failed, or which now appear likely to fail, overall his track record has been good, especially with the pitchers. I'm glad he's the one who will make this decision, and whoever he picks, I will be supportive.

True to form, Frobby nails it.

We'll have some fun discussions about who we would have preferred, and none of us will be wrong or right.

But at the end of the day, Joe Jordan has done some excellent things for this organization and I trust his discretion wholeheartedly.

If Jordan picks someone who is not a pitcher, I will become very excited about that player, specifically talking about Green here. That would mean Jordan likes him over all of the slew of very talented pitching that is available at #5.

I agree that I support Jordan, but I do have my own opinions about which picks I'd particularly like. Scheppers and White are the ones I'm not so high on. If we end up with any of Crow, Matzek, or Wheeler, I'll be very pleased.

I feel the same way. I will be comfortable that whomever we pick, it will be based on a sound scouting and baseball intellect.

I agree, I like how he doesnt necessarily go with the trendy picks. We will have a stronger draft this year in those 2-5 rounds IMO.....More talent is available this year......

The only way I'd heavily criticize this draft is if they make a broad decision to not spend very much money. If they go with close to slot picks every round, I'll be very upset. And that blame wouldn't be on Jordan, it'd be on MacPhail.

That said, I don't expect that to be the case. And I expect to be very interested in learning about the guys Jordan does end up drafting.

The only way I'd heavily criticize this draft is if they make a broad decision to not spend very much money. If they go with close to slot picks every round, I'll be very upset. And that blame wouldn't be on Jordan, it'd be on MacPhail.

That said, I don't expect that to be the case. And I expect to be very interested in learning about the guys Jordan does end up drafting.

Not that there would be an excuse for that in any year, but there's particularly no excuse for that approach this year, considering how low our payroll is. Some of the remarks MacPhail made in the paper persuade me that it's unlikely we will avoid players who may have high salary demands.

"It's an important avenue of talent for us," MacPhail said. "We pay attention to 'signability.' But at the end of the day, we know this is the most important entry of talent in our system.

"We know we can't buy three [major league] players for a half billion dollars. That's not in the cards for us, so this is an area that we are pretty aggressive."

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/baseball/bal-sp.orioles09jun09,0,529170.story

Spot on man...spot on.

I will be supportive of whomever we pick, as long as his name isn't Kyle Gibson or Matt Hobgood. :)

I hope you mean supportive of the front office, not the player.

It goes without saying we should support whatever player we draft, regardless if we agree with the pick or not.

Archived