Very solid day 1

:D

Yeah, I wasn't happy about the Hobgood pick, but after reading more about him, it's going to be one of those "trust Jordan" picks.

Givens is interesting and still might be a little bit of a reach, but as long as he's a SS and not a pitcher I can live with that.

And finally the last pick was the best of all IMO for the value. Townsend is a first team All-American on the same team as Ackley and actually beat out Poythress (who was taken in Round 2) for the spot. I think he was a steal with that third rounder and has the potential of being a Todd Helton type of player for us.

Now if we can grab Stassi or Bailey with the fourth rounder before the Mariners do (as they seem to be beating us to the good picks) this has the makings of another good Jordan draft.

You definately win the award from your post earlier today regarding should Mcphail/Jordan be fired for selecting Hobgood... I get the snap reaction, as I was in the same boat as you. But sir, you still have me laughing over that.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Have to respectfully disagree. I think Jordan was hoping for one of Nick Franklin and Jiovanni Mier to fall to 2:5. Givens is fine, and he's a great athlete, but I really don't love him as a SS. He has great hands, so it doesn't matter much yet, but he has a tendency to swipe at the ball. He has plenty of arm for SS -- more than enough -- but he I don't love his arm action when he throws across the diamond. His bat is a big question for me.

Now, Jordan gets paid to do this and has many, many years on me and many, many more resources. I just don't love Givens at this spot, though it's better than Givens the relief pitcher at this spot.

Townsend is fine, as well, but I went with Chris Domingue, 3B, Louisville. I'm not sure Townsend wouldn't have been there at 4:5 -- in which case BAL could have grabbed an arm that slipped or another high upside OF. Even a prep catcher would have worked well if you were counting on Townsend as your power guy. Heck, I would be happy selecting Dustin Dickerson (Baylor) if I was set on Townsend.

I think you are correct it was a solid first day, but I don't consider it outstanding, personally. I'm happy that Jordan and the O's were targeting the same player-types that Jon and I set in our draft strategy. It's obvious we think a little more like San Francisco than we do Baltimore...

For me, it would have been outstanding if they went Green in the first, best pitcher available in the second and Dominguez in the third.

That would have been a great day 1 for me.

As it is, I think it was solid.

For me, it would have been outstanding if they went Green in the first, best pitcher available in the second and Dominguez in the third.

There are some teams that truly had what could be incredible Days 1. I'm anxious to see how tomorrow shakes out, considering BAL should have extra money to spend.

There are some teams that truly had what could be incredible Days 1. I'm anxious to see how tomorrow shakes out, considering BAL should have extra money to spend.

Have you come up with a list of BPA for tomorrow yet?

Anyone really jump out at you?

How many players are there that could have been second round type guys?

From Roch:

Quote:

The Orioles targeted a high school shortstop or catcher in the second round. They wanted a left-handed power bat in the third.

Seems as if this draft couldn't have been scripted any better for Jordan.

Why a high school catcher this early? We have a guy named Wieters in the system already. Are they grooming his replacement already assuming that he walks in free agency?

Have you come up with a list of BPA for tomorrow yet?

Anyone really jump out at you?

How many players are there that could have been second round type guys?

Not many. Max Stassi, obviously. Goodwin could have gone early, but I'm not completely surprised he isn't off the board yet.

Some interesting arms like Kendal Volz, Madison Younginer. Bailey as a potential stud catcher provided he comes back all the way after surgery.

Jeff Malm is a power-hitting 1B was some soft-body issues and a supposedly steal-tight commitment to USC. He's a potential plus-plus power guy that would be a tough sign.

I don't see many other guys that would have been top 2 round talents that slipped.

EDIT -- Stassi is currently the top of our board -- we haven't decided if we're going to take the signability jump. We probably will -- some of the other talents we have our eye on should be around later.

Not many. Max Stassi, obviously. Goodwin could have gone early, but I'm not completely surprised he isn't off the board yet.

Some interesting arms like Kendal Volz, Madison Younginer. Bailey as a potential stud catcher provided he comes back all the way after surgery.

Jeff Malm is a power-hitting 1B was some soft-body issues and a supposedly steal-tight commitment to USC. He's a potential plus-plus power guy that would be a tough sign.

I don't see many other guys that would have been top 2 round talents that slipped.

EDIT -- Stassi is currently the top of our board -- we haven't decided if we're going to take the signability jump. We probably will -- some of the other talents we have our eye on should be around later.

Any Arrieta type guys?

Guys that were looked at more highly entering this season and maybe struggled, either with performance or injury?

Any Arrieta type guys?

Guys that were looked at more highly entering this season and maybe struggled, either with performance or injury?

College, Kendal Volz (Baylor) is your guy. Power arm (low-90s touching mid-90s) and power slider. Good feel for offspeed. Down year dropped stock.

High school, Ian Krol is your guy. Suspended for his high school season because of a silly rule and being caught at a party where there was underage drinking (note -- not drinking and driving, or even being intoxicated, just at the party). He is a top 100 guy for me, even with the layoff. He was top 50 for me pre-season.

The problem with that order is that Green would probably turn out to be a pain-in-the-@$$ signing for Andy. It would likely have taken until Aug 17 and he would've missed this year. I'm not sure who the best-pitcher-available was, but Hobgood seems very projectionable as a TOR starter (for a HSer).

The way it worked out, Hobgood likely gets in his work this season for the O's and is a legitimate TOR guy. We get a toolsy SS candidate (didn't someone say 3rd best SS prospect available this year?) - while not Green, he's a couple of years younger and could work out. Whether you'd have prefered Dominguez or not in the third round, I think you can agree that Townsend has the potential to be a real difference-making bat.

This looks like a silver lining situation to me.

This is the kind of guy I'd love to see us go after. Especially after taking two easy signings in Hobgood and Townsend (and Givens?).

I'm happy with the picks so far--although I certainly hope we can find a 3B prospect somewhere in the next 2-3 rounds.

One question: talent aside, why would we want to spend a 4th round pick on a catcher? Wieters and Joseph should be holding that position down for the foreseeable future.

One question: talent aside, why would we want to spend a 4th round pick on a catcher? Wieters and Joseph should be holding that position down for the foreseeable future.

This is what I and a few other posters said in another thread.

I still think that baseball is not like football. You draft the best player available no matter what you have. I would love a 2-3 great catchers in the system. Catchers wear down all the time. Injuries happen. Plus wouldn't it be great to have great catchers in the minors to catch our young pitchers? When you are debating the first 3-7 picks of the first round then maybe you think position, but after that draft the best person left. Time will tell, especially if a person is a HS player.

Have to respectfully disagree. I think Jordan was hoping for one of Nick Franklin and Jiovanni Mier to fall to 2:5. Givens is fine, and he's a great athlete, but I really don't love him as a SS. He has great hands, so it doesn't matter much yet, but he has a tendency to swipe at the ball. He has plenty of arm for SS -- more than enough -- but he I don't love his arm action when he throws across the diamond. His bat is a big question for me.

Now, Jordan gets paid to do this and has many, many years on me and many, many more resources. I just don't love Givens at this spot, though it's better than Givens the relief pitcher at this spot.

Townsend is fine, as well, but I went with Chris Domingue, 3B, Louisville. I'm not sure Townsend wouldn't have been there at 4:5 -- in which case BAL could have grabbed an arm that slipped or another high upside OF. Even a prep catcher would have worked well if you were counting on Townsend as your power guy. Heck, I would be happy selecting Dustin Dickerson (Baylor) if I was set on Townsend.

I think you are correct it was a solid first day, but I don't consider it outstanding, personally. I'm happy that Jordan and the O's were targeting the same player-types that Jon and I set in our draft strategy. It's obvious we think a little more like San Francisco than we do Baltimore...

I agree. I think the supplemental and early 2nd put Jordan on his head with Davidson, Poythress, and Scheppers all getting taken when it looked like we had a shot.

Me personally I would have gone Mendonca at 2, but I could live with Townsend at 3, maybe they heard rumblings of someone taking him later in the 3rd, it's one of those you could take him but he MIGHT get back to you picks, so I can see that one. I would definitely have taken Mendonca over Givens and then taken a shot at Marerro in the 4th. I mean, you never know, if as many teams were looking at Givens as a pitcher as I think, there's a good shot he slides to the 3rd and then you hope for Townsend in the 4th.

Is this as frustrating for you as it is for me sometimes? I found myself SCREAMING at the radio during some of the picks.

Archived