Big changes in the O's top 10

Frobby

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is either contradictory or just plain waffling. Are you saying you need to see more before you are sure that they are higher on your list? If your are higher on them then put them on your list. That's what it's for.

"Higher" as in "excited" - poor word choice. Not "higher" as in I have them ranked higher. If prospect ranking is ceiling x probability of reaching then I need more info about performance to know probability of reaching.

I'

Just can't buy Florimon at this point. He's hot now, but I want to see more before he makes my Top 10. Other than that, most of these lists are fine.

The most glaring absence from any O's top 10 has to be Billy Rowell. He is having the most disappointing career of any O's prospects in some time, especially since he doesn't have any injuries as an excuse. I hope that by 2012 people will stop saying he's still young for his league.

1. Tillman

2. Arrieta

3. Matusz

4. Snyder

5. Britton

6. Erbe

7. Perez

8. Patton

9. McCrory

10. Joseph

I know McCrory hasn't looked good when he was up, but I love that heavy sinker. Just missed the list - Avery, Welty, Mickolio, Waring

1 Chris Tillman

2 Brian Matusz

3 Jake Arrieta

4 Brandon Snyder

5 Zach Britton

6 Xavier Avery

7 Troy Patton

8 Brandon Erbe

9 Oliver Drake

10 Perdo Florimon Jr

11 Caleb Joesph

12 Billy Rowell

13 Chorye Spoone

14 LJ Hoes

15 Robery Bundy

16 Richard Zagone

17 Blake Davis

18 Wilfredo Perez

19 Justin Turner

20 Ronnie Weltly

I just put this together...what do you guys think?

Y'know what?

The O's have graduated two good seasons' worth of talent in the past two months, and what's left over is probably still in the top 50 p.c. of baseball.

BTW Erbe jumps way up as soon as he pitches effectively again.

Beat me too it (man I have been slow today).

While the top 4 will come up at some point over the next two years, it seems that the others are younger and will take some time. Whether Reimold, Wieters, Tillman, Hernandez, BB...do well or not those other guys should be in the minors a while.

Also, keep in mind how this team had little talent minor or majors. The fact that there is a definite improvement in overall improvement shows that we are getting there.

I think a few international signings would go a long way with me. Add the new draftees (including a few tough signs) and I think this list will still look good at seasons end.

1 Chris Tillman

2 Brian Matusz

3 Jake Arrieta

4 Brandon Snyder

5 Zach Britton

6 Xavier Avery

7 Troy Patton

8 Brandon Erbe

9 Oliver Drake

10 Perdo Florimon Jr

11 Caleb Joesph

12 Billy Rowell

13 Chorye Spoone

14 LJ Hoes

15 Robery Bundy

16 Richard Zagone

17 Blake Davis

18 Wilfredo Perez

19 Justin Turner

20 Ronnie Weltly

I just put this together...what do you guys think?

You counted right, so that's a good start! :D

We all have our opinions and can nitpick. It looks fine to me though.

Here's a name that hasn't been mentioned yet...Tony Butler. He has a heck of an upside if he comes back healthy. That's a huge if at this point though.

1. Tillman

2. Matusz

3. Arrieta

4. Snyder

5. Erbe

6. Britton

7. Patton

8. Avery

9. Drake

10. Mickolio

I really like this list. I'd make a couple of adjustments:

1. Tillman

2. Matusz

3. Arrieta

4. Snyder

5. Erbe

6. Britton

7. Patton

8. Avery

9. Zagone

10. Drake

Rowell is 11 for me and Hobgood would land somewhere between 9-11 when he signs before he's thrown a pitch, with the chance to shoot up to 7 with a good showing at Aberdeen.

Matusz is performing better than Arrieta did at high A and I have always considered him a better prospect. Matusz will have to continue his dominance at AA before I can have him overtake Tillman.

We have graduated a ton of talent so far this season and our top 10 still looks solid, with a bunch of sleepers added in a relatively weak draft class. I think we're still in pretty good shape.

Here's my best try as of right now, but it's so hard to do these because I feel like I always leave a guy or two off.

1) Chris Tillman-future #1 or 2

2) Brian Matusz-future #1 or 2

3) Jake Arrieta- future #2

4) Brandon Snyder-he'll hit, only ? is defense

5) Brandon Erbe-needs to get healthy, but he's on the verge of expanding to the Big 4

6) Xavier Avery-high ceiling athlete, he's been great at LoA

7) Zach Britton-love the GB's, has a ton of talent

8) Troy Patton-great at AA, velocity a ?

9) Pedro Florimon-pleasant surprise, now let's see if it continues

10) Caleb Joseph-can't argue w/ his numbers, hopefully D improves

11) Oliver Drake-solid stuff with middle of rotation upside

12) Rich Zagone-dominating LoA batters this year

13) Chorye Spoone-needs to prove his health, but once had great stuff

14) Bobby Bundy-high ceiling pitcher, great fastball

15) Billy Rowell-needs to show more, at least he's young

16) Ryan Adams-great bat, but where does he play?

17) L.J Hoes-solid tools, he's been okay at LoA

18) Greg Miclat-coming around with the bat, should stick at SS

19) Ronnie Welty-good year so far, I like the Hunter Pence comp

20) Justin Turner-playing well after early slump, hopefully a good UTIL guy

Intriguing Young Guys/Prospects: Jesse Beal (would love to here more about him), Tony Butler, Garabez Rosa (possible shift to 3B or 2B?), Tyler Henson (hope he breaks out soon), Wilfredo Perez, Kam Mickolio, Bob McCrory, Matt Angle, Kyle Hudson

Fringe Guys that need to produce: Tim Bascom, Pedro Beato

I can't wait to see who we sign this year because Hobgood, Givens, Townsend, Wirsch, Harris, Henry, Cowan, and Ohlman should compete for top 30 spots. This system has been an absolute joy to watch the past couple years.

Hobgood will not be starting in Aberdeen. I would also put Beal well ahead of Bundy on any list.

Why is that? I'm interesting in Beal because he's got a projectable pitcher's frame, but I haven't heard much about him since he has drafted. What kind of stuff does he have?

Why is that? I'm interesting in Beal because he's got a projectable pitcher's frame, but I haven't heard much about him since he has drafted. What kind of stuff does he have?

It could be nothing more than issues w/ fitness and command by Bundy. Hearing rumors of both. Hope it's exaggerated.

He's probably heard something: he called the Rowell OF shift (but also has been a big Rowell-basher).

Archived