Hobgood says he'll sign in two weeks

murrayfan420

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/baseball/bal-osnotes612,0,7568931.story

Matt Hobgood, the Orioles' first-round pick in Tuesday's amateur draft, expects to take a physical exam in Baltimore in two weeks, and barring any unforeseen developments, will sign a contract on June 27.

What is the plan for Hobgood once he signs? Is he gonna be pitching anywhere this summer?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Word on the streets is that he will land Im guessing at Aberdeen....JJ said he would go a level above where they normally start HS kids at....Though he is a prep arm, he could move fairly quickly with his big league stuff, poise and body.....

Word on the streets is that he will land Im guessing at Aberdeen....JJ said he would go a level above where they normally start HS kids at....Though he is a prep arm, he could move fairly quickly with his big league stuff, poise and body.....

I'm guessing he starts at Bluefield, we normally start HS guys in the GCL.

Yes, and Bluefield is higher than we start most of our HS kids.
I think the first round HS talent usually starts above the GCL. Both Rowell and Snyder started at Bluefield. So I think Aberdeen would be the "above where most HS start" location.

It doesnt really matter if he starts at Bluefield or Aberdeen because I would think he starts at Delmarva next year.

Yeah, that should be the ultimate goal.

I can't see any scenario where he starts above Delmarva next season.

Yes, and Bluefield is higher than we start most of our HS kids.

Erbe started in Bluefield (note: the Orioles did not have a GCL team at the time) and dominated at age 17. I can see Hobgood starting at Bluefield but if he is really as poised with good mechanics and the excellent curve plus big fastball that he has been stated as having, I could also see him starting at Aberdeen.

Erbe started in Bluefield (note: the Orioles did not have a GCL team at the time) and dominated at age 17. I can see Hobgood starting at Bluefield but if he is really as poised with good mechanics and the excellent curve plus big fastball that he has been stated as having, I could also see him starting at Aberdeen.

Yeah, either way, I don't see it as a big deal whether he starts at Bluefield or Aberdeen.

I'll admit, I want him to start at Bluefield for selfish reasons. I'm going to be in that area during the second week of July and I REALLY want to see Hobgood pitch.:D

I can't think of any high school player the O's have drafted in recent years who started higher than Bluefield, including Snyder, Rowell, Erbe and others. However, all three of those guys did well enough at Bluefield that they got moved to Abderdeen before the season was over, and then were in position to start the next year in Delmarva. I think that's what you'd hope for with Hobgood.

I believe Loewen started at Aberdeen though it wasn't the same year he was drafted.

I don't know if it will make any difference but Hobgood is a year older than most HS seniors. I would love to see him assigned to Aberdeen so I can see him throw.

Awesome, now we won't have to do that middle of August 11th hour signing crap that takes place every summer.

ZZZZOMG!!! Maybe we should give him more than slot?!?!!??!!? All the cool teams are doing it!

We're cool?

Archived