O's Getting Serious About Sano?

Lucky Jim

If this kid is the top talent coming out of the Dominican this year, it's hard to believe the O's will be able or willing to outbid teams like Boston or NY. I will agree with JTrea this time. I'll believe it when I see it.

I agree, as stated above, but this is AM's chance to follow through on the second half of his plan "buy the bats". Do it Andy! (yes I know it will take a while to see the fruits of a signing like this).

We have grown the pitching.....

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Here's a prediction. If Sano has multiple suitors (including the Yanks), which appears likely, then unless the O's are the top offer, you will argue it was simply a token bid, irrespective of the amount.

I think your comment will depend on the amount. Jtrea has said a lot of things I disagree with but AM hasn't exactly set the world on fire with the spending. Here is an opportunity.

I think your comment will depend on the amount. Jtrea has said a lot of things I disagree with but AM hasn't exactly set the world on fire with the spending. Here is an opportunity.

Has there really been anything worth purchasing up to this point?

You are right, here is an opportunity for him to do so.

Here's a prediction. If Sano has multiple suitors (including the Yanks), which appears likely, then unless the O's are the top offer, you will argue it was simply a token bid, irrespective of the amount.

Any bid that doesn't come close to his final offer is a token bid.

If you want him you go after him with guns blazing. Offer him $4-5 million on July 2nd

I suspect our bid will be in the $1-2 million range.

MacPhail has never gone after premium FA talent aggressively, whether it be amateur or MLB.

You gotta bet the Yankees will be all over him. By the time he'll be ML ready they'll need a replacement for Jeter.

I'd imagine, however, that it's hard to project a 16 year old as a ML shortstop. Has anyone heard anything about his defensive abilities/likelihood or not to stay at SS? Probably too early to tell either way I would imagine.

Has there really been anything worth purchasing up to this point?

You are right, here is an opportunity for him to do so.

I agree completely and understand why he hasn't spent the money. At some point we have to get the bats though. There will always be a reason to NOT spend the money. If you are looking for a reason to not do it, you will find it.

Top FA bats will almost always cost way more than everyone thinks is reasonable. So unless AM is willing to spend obscene money on a top FA bat, this is the place to "buy the bats". If the scouts say he is legit then spend $15 mil if you have to.... It will be considered to have been cheap later.

I hate dragging it up again, but we were the lowest bid for Teixeira's services regardless on whether he wanted to play here or not.

That you know of. What would be your opinion on it if the O's offer 5,999,999 million to Sano and the Yankmes give him 6? That we low balled him?

I hate dragging it up again, but we were the lowest bid for Teixeira's services regardless on whether he wanted to play here or not.

You do realize the difference between $200m for Teixeira and $4m for a 16 year old signee? Yes?

If you believe that he is a HanRam type talent, then you have to sign this kid.

People were praising the Orioles for opening up the asian market for a guy who looks like a reliever...well, this would make them put themselves out there for the top young international talent as well.

Its the same concept..Yes, Uehera was more of a sure thing but still, the principles are similar.

You do realize the difference between $200m for Teixeira and $4m for a 16 year old signee? Yes?

I'm just saying MacPhail has a history of not aggressively pursuing premium FA talent for any organization. Teixeira is just an example.

Archived