O's Getting Serious About Sano?

Lucky Jim

The kid is his age and the mother is his mother. you can go to the ESPN Magazine article and there is a picture of both of them. If you can't see how they look almost exactly alike then there is a major problem. They are just making sure. He is his age. He had a bone graft verifying it too.

I never thought there was anything questioning who he said he was, just his age. So, he has already had the tests in regards to his age? I thought this had just come up a day or so ago with the request from the Twins, and now it is in process to determine if everything is true. Is that not correct?

Someone else had mentioned something about the age not being a factor. If there is some way that he is 17 instead of 16, that will effect the money that he is given. However, the other thing that will happen is that he will be suspended for a year from signing. That would then make him 18 when he could sign, if there is something about his age not being true.

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Roch's latest:

I'm hearing that the Orioles are hesitant to throw money at the kid - and we'll assume that he still qualifies as one, no matter his age - without seeing him play a single inning. It's one thing to take batting practice and field ground balls. If you're looking to sign somebody for pre-game workouts, go for it. But how would he handle actual game conditions?

I doubt we offer more than $1-2 million and that's not going to get it done. MacPhail doesn't take risks.

And before anyone jumps all over Roch, lets remember that Roch was dead on about the Tex stuff.

I'm not going to jump on him as I think he's right on. MacPhail will not risk the money it will take to sign Sano.

He never goes "all in" after premium talent because of the risk associated with it.

I'm not going to jump on him as I think he's right on. MacPhail will not risk the money it will take to sign Sano.

He never goes "all in" after premium talent because of the risk associated with it.

Oh, I agree with you. What I am saying is when Roch came out in the winter and said the O's are not going to be a high bidder in the Tex sweapstakes, the Hangout (me included) went nuts and said Roch didn;t know what he was talking about, etc etc etc. Truth is Roch was right, and will probably be right about Sano as well.

As in, MacPhail and the Orioles will just sa no! :)

Why are you throwing MacPhail under the bus Trea? The man can do no right by you can he?

As I've pointed out, his unwillingness to take some risks is holding this club back somewhat. The Rays and A's are more than willing to go after premium amateur talent. If they can afford to take the risks, why can't a club like the Orioles with larger resources?

Two things

1. With all these questions about age, why would you expect AM to double the risk involved here. First risk is the age problem. Second risk is the fact that he is a young kid who we have no idea how he will progress as a player.

2. This may be a negotiating ploy on AM's part. The MFY's reportedly have stated that they are not going to bid on him (just like they did w/ Tex). That doesn't mean that they won't, it could just be a tactic to drive his price down.

Roch's latest:

I doubt we offer more than $1-2 million and that's not going to get it done. MacPhail doesn't take risks.

As I've pointed out, his unwillingness to take some risks is holding this club back somewhat. The Rays and A's are more than willing to go after premium amateur talent. If they can afford to take the risks, why can't a club like the Orioles with larger resources?

Can we avoid a total meltdown, please?

I hope MacPhail ponies up too, but lets just see how this plays out before completely losing it.

I'm curious how a bone scan can verify age? I know that you can determine bone age, which is an estimate of the relative maturity of a person's skeletal system, and maybe that's more important than actual age anyway. For example, as a child I had a test that showed my bone age was 3-4 years younger than my actual age, and I thus went through puberty very late.

I am not an expert by any means but we learned a little in medical examination this past semester about bone scans, x-rays, MRIs, etc. The biggest thing for a young person is looking at the growth plates to see how far apart they are and if they are closed or almost closed. If they are closed then they are normally at least between 18-21 for males and 13-16 for females at that point. I guess they could be looking at the amount of types of bone cells (osteoblasts vs osteoclasts) but that would be a guess in my opinion. I don't know if that helps. Chris

I did not go to Penn State. Been a fan since I was a little kid. I went to Haverford College and we didn't have a football team I went to see UVa play Penn State in Charlottesville years ago and wore a Penn State Jersey. I grew up a Phillies fan.

I went to that game, but I am a Virginia fan. But I went with a Penn State fan, so I was wearing a UVA jersey in the PSU section. It was interesting. I was in my stadium, but in a small pocket of hostile territory. :D

Can we avoid a total meltdown, please?

I hope MacPhail ponies up too, but lets just see how this plays out before completely losing it.

I'm not losing it, just stating my opinion on MacPhail and how it applies to a possible Sano pursuit.

I am not an expert by any means but we learned a little in medical examination this past semester about bone scans, x-rays, MRIs, etc. The biggest thing for a young person is looking at the growth plates to see how far apart they are and if they are closed or almost closed. If they are closed then they are normally at least between 18-21 for males and 13-16 for females at that point. I guess they could be looking at the amount of types of bone cells (osteoblasts vs osteoclasts) but that would be a guess in my opinion. I don't know if that helps. Chris

Yes, that was my understanding as well, and this was the same test that was done to estimate my "bone age" and predict my maturity level and adult height. But I don't see how that's more than an estimate of actual age, which could have a margin of error of a couple years. I think the more interesting question is whether bone age is better to look at than actual age as far as physical projection.

Archived