O's Getting Serious About Sano?

Lucky Jim

Couldn't the subjectivity that comes with signing a 16 year old full of projection increase the chances of an outlandish bid being made? If you've got 32 teams scouting the kid all with very different opinions about his ability, at least one of them will say that Sano is the tits and worth crazy money. What's "outlandish" for one team is reasonable for another.

That seems to me a slightly different risk - anyone could wildly overvalue Sano, sure. But the $4m price tag right now is being associated w/ Ramirez/Pujols comparisons. I'm not sure where it could go up from there.

So, we know that the he's being hyped as a once-in-a-generation type player, and that some teams are going to pony up for that. But we also know that that hype is based on projection, which means that it's far less a "fact" than a more advanced, proven player.

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That seems to me a slightly different risk - anyone could wildly overvalue Sano, sure. But the $4m price tag right now is being associated w/ Ramirez/Pujols comparisons. I'm not sure where it could go up from there.

It could go up if multiple teams see the same elite potential, know he's going to the highest bidder, and want to outbid the other interested teams. Anyhow, I'm really just playing devil's advocate right now, and I'm not even sure why.

So, we know that the he's being hyped as a once-in-a-generation type player, and that some teams are going to pony up for that. But we also know that that hype is based on projection, which means that it's far less a "fact" than a more advanced, proven player.

I don't disagree with that.

Wigginton was signed as the backup for Mora at 3rd, Huff at 1st, Roberts at 2nd and has even played the outfield. He can also be used to come off of the bench for PH roles.

Who should the Orioles have used to fulfill this need?

BTW - Wingginton is the same age as Scott and Roberts, 31 years old. That's an over the hill old backup?

Was there something wrong with Ryan Freel? Did we need two utility infielders?

Was there something wrong with Ryan Freel? Did we need two utility infielders?

IMO, Freel was the price of moving Ramon. I don't think Freel was MacPhail-compatible. He had a history of off-field issues, not a ton, but some, and MacPhails don't like guys who have issues or provide distractions. Plus, his attitude was crappy when things didn't go his way, and MacPhails don't like guys who lack the right attitude. So, I think Wiggy is the guy AM wanted and Freel is just the guy he was temporarily stuck with.

IMO, Freel was the price of moving Ramon. I don't think Freel was MacPhail-compatible. He had a history of off-field issues, not a ton, but some, and MacPhails don't like guys who have issues or provide distractions. Plus, his attitude was crappy when things didn't go his way, and MacPhails don't like guys who lack the right attitude. So, I think Wiggy is the guy AM wanted and Freel is just the guy he was temporarily stuck with.

I think you are over analyzing Freel's release. He got hurt and couldn't produce in spot duty. He is the type of player who needs steady work in order to keep sharp. Regardless, I think the team is much better without him. No loss is my opinion.

But I think the idea was that with Freel, we could get by without Wigginton, and the kind of money a Wiggie gets can net us a super-prospect like Sano. If the O's are cash strapped, it'd be a pretty salient point. More likely though, they can still easily afford the $4m on Sano, and the question is how sure they are it will be a good investment, not where else they've spent some money.

He grabs a bat and cracks line drives to all fields, from both sides of the plate. But as Ramel heads out to shortstop with his glove, Guzmán flashes a you-ain't-seen-nothing-yet smile. On a rocky field that ate up three previous youngsters, Ramel is flawless, picking the irregular hops like so many dandelions and whipping the ball across the infield.

"The arm, the feet -- he's a natural," Guzmán crows. "He is the best in the world! ¡Mejor en el mundo! You cannot find a guy like that!"

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print?id=3974952&type=story

I would not mind dishing out money for this guy. He is only 16 and he is 6'3, he might be able to grow another inch or two then fill out. We have to find a way to sign this guy.

I would not mind dishing out money for this guy. He is only 16 and he is 6'3, he might be able to grow another inch or two then fill out. We have to find a way to sign this guy.

Agreed.

If he's anywhere near as good as the players he's being compared to (Ramirez/Pujols) then I think he's worth the investment.

I agree but the quote above references another talent, Ramel Flores-García who is only 14. This is the one that refers to Sano:

The 6'3" teen takes 10 ground balls and fields each one cleanly. Every throw to first base forms a perfect line with no hump in the middle, no tail at the end, a geometry exercise in which points A and B connect in rapid succession. The crowd buzzes with each thwopp! of the first baseman's glove. Some scouts smile as they scrawl observations into notebooks or onto roster sheets. As Sano finishes, he grins too, then strides confidently through the pack of clipboard caddies.

If he's for sure the next A-Rod / Hanley Ramirez / Albert Pujols, then $5MM is a deal. Fortunately, it sounds like they'll get a closer look for 2-3 days before making a call on what to throw out there. Sounds like we're at least serious.

Having him in for a second time, for 3 days 10 days before the signing date sounds pretty serious to me. That is clearly a positive for this organization, and already demonstrates a certain credibility. Let's hope they like what they see enough to put the money on the table to sign him. Alternatively, let's hope that they've seen other talent that they compare favorably that we can sign for less!

But I think the idea was that with Freel, we could get by without Wigginton, and the kind of money a Wiggie gets can net us a super-prospect like Sano. If the O's are cash strapped, it'd be a pretty salient point. More likely though, they can still easily afford the $4m on Sano, and the question is how sure they are it will be a good investment, not where else they've spent some money.

Exactly; we can more than afford both, but my analogy was meant to say that even if $5 million is a lot for a prospect, the upside of Sano outweighs what you know you're getting from a guy like Wigginton.

Archived