MacPhail on Hobgood

http://masnsports.com/2009/06/a-little-more-from-macphail.html

"It distresses me and annoys me that, because the kid wants to go out and play baseball, somehow that's a strike against him. Like all of a sudden, this was a signability pick. They loved the kid. He's immensely talented and they just loved the kid. He wanted to pitch for the Orioles and he's a great, mature kid and Joe (Jordan) just, all things being equal, fell in love with the kid. But it's somehow a detriment that he wants to sign. It really annoys me. It's really, really repugnant that the guy who you have to beg to come play is somehow held in higher regard. I just don't see it. I'm delighted we got the kid, and so is Joe, and that's what matters."

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the pick is perceived that way because, prior to the draft, scouting publications such as BA didn't rank Hobgood as a top 5 pick, or even a top 10. So, that creates the perception that signability was a factor. It's not a case of outsiders downgrading him because he wasn't viewed as a difficult sign, it's a case of outsiders not ranking him that highly to begin with.

Joe Jordan thinks differently, and that's fine with me. I believe 100% that he went with Hobgood because he thought he was the best player available, and not because he was an easy sign. If outsiders have a different perception, I don't really care.

I believe Jordan weighed the perceived costs with the potential benefits. I think although Matzek probably would have been a better pick, his cost made it prohibitive (as he seemed to be asking for an astounding amount of money). So he looked at the next level of pitchers and really liked Hobgood and went with his gut. I have no problem with this, he probably saw a kid that was enthusiastic with a great head on his shoulders, built like a horse with plus potential and went with him over the others.

Sure maybe he is a bit more signable, but doesn't that factor into things in the business world. I have no problem with him being labled "signable." who cares, it's not like we drafted some scrub who we could low ball. We drafted a guy who we really liked, who might come a touch cheaper than some of the other guys, but we feel can be every bit as good.

That's called a quality business decision.

Plus, Matt sounds like a beast. he's no toothpick HS pitcher.

can we please just call him Hoss? Hoss Hobgood?

The guy wasn't held in high regard due to the fact as he wasn't as talented as a couple of the other pitchers going after him according to most scouts. Matzek was the most talented pitcher in the draft after Strasburg and that is why he wants the most money.

If anything this shows that MacPhail is more concerned about signablility than having the most talent, and that is not a good thing. I think he's annoyed because suddenly people are calling him on his frugality and they should given the resources this club has at its disposal.

At worst had we not signed our pick, we would have had the 6th pick in the draft next year. We didn't have to draft a signability pick.

The guy wasn't held in high regard due to the fact as he wasn't as talented as a couple of the other pitchers going after him according to most scouts. Matzek was the most talented pitcher in the draft after Strasburg and that is why he wants the most money.

If anything this shows that MacPhail is more concerned about signablility than having the most talent, and that is not a good thing. I think he's annoyed because suddenly people are calling him on his frugality and they should given the resources this club has at its disposal.

At worst had we not signed our pick, we would have had the 6th pick in the draft next year. We didn't have to draft a signability pick.

Well I'm glad to see you aren't attacking Joe Jordan's credibility as a scout :rolleyes:

Love the statement from MacPhail. It needed to be expressed not only to the national media but also to our fellow fans, who for varying reasons, have been critical or skeptical of JJ's drafting strategy.

The more I see, read, and listen to this guy, the more impressed I am with both Hobgood and JJ's scouting of him. The kid is a beast, he's first round talent (as to where is debatable), he wants to sign, he wants to start playing, so what more can you ask? If AMac could get "rep" for the things he says, I'd give it to him for that statement.

All of this is conjecture sold as fact. This is fallacy 101.

And, I don't mean any disrespect to you, but your trend is to fault AMac first, then ignore the evidence that does exist in favor of your opinion. What is the obsession with the O's being the bad guy? Seriously, I'm curious.

I hope you take a more sophisticated, less delusional approach to the world beyond the Orioles.

Where are you getting this from? I'm reading and re-reading McPhail's quote and he said it's NOT a signability pick. You have your mind made up that it was and no matter what anybody shows you, you are going to have your opinions.

I trust McPhail. I trust Jordan. You didn't scout any of these players. The MLB Draft more than anything is a crap-shoot. It's a high possibility that any player you take is going to bust. And in a year where there is considered 1 "lock" (Strasburg) and then Ackley is considered the closest this after that to a sure thing... Jordan went with a known quantity. Projectability is such a subjective thing.

The best curveball in his class. A low to mid 90s heater. A changeup that's on his way. A "bulldog" mentality like that we love about Arrieta. I think Hobgood has just a good a chance to turning into a star as any of the other HS arms.

Ive tried defending the pick for a while now and am not gonna repeat what I have said numerous times, but part of the reason for him not being a high ranker in BA is because when BA did their rankings, he was throwing 92-93. He ended up gaining velo and topping out around 97(I actually read 98, but could have been a fast gun). His 1-2 combo is better than or as good as all of the other prep arms. Matzek has more quality pitches and is a lefty, aside from Matzek, Hobgood for me is as good or better than the rest. Matzek is asking for basically our entire budget for the draft, there is no way to do that, opposite of what Trea is saying, it would actually be a bad business move unless they planned on upping the budget....Forget the BA rankings and grade his stuff and youll see why he was picked 5th.....

I think your trying to read between the lines from a superbly intelligent statement from Macphail. All he's saying is he doesn't understand why people think just because someone doesn't want to sign immediately is a defining correlate on how good someone is. It's not, its a factor, but certainly not a defining factor.

All of this is conjecture sold as fact. This is fallacy 101.

And, I don't mean any disrespect to you, but your trend is to fault AMac first, then ignore the evidence that does exist in favor of your opinion. What is the obsession with the O's being the bad guy? Seriously, I'm curious.

It really annoys me. It's really, really repugnant that the guy who you have to beg to come play is somehow held in higher regard.

There's your evidence. MacPhail doesn't want to have to recruit the player to play for the Orioles. Well I'm sorry, but the Orioles especially in the AL East may have to do some actual recruiting to get top talent here. That is MacPhail's job. The Orioles can't sell themselves, even to a HS kid.

There's a reason you have to beg. It's called the player has talent and wants to be compensated for it and would rather get a college education than possibly be stuck on a losing franchise.

Signable does not necessarily = BPA. The Orioles needed to take the BPA and the jury is certainly out if Hobgood was that...

There's your evidence. MacPhail doesn't want to have to recruit the player to play for the Orioles. Well I'm sorry, but the Orioles especially in the AL East may have to do some actual recruiting to get top talent here. That is MacPhail's job. The Orioles can't sell themselves, even to a HS kid.

There's a reason you have to beg. It's called the player has talent and wants to be compensated for it and would rather get a college education than possibly be stuck on a losing franchise.

Signable does not necessarily = BPA. The Orioles needed to take the BPA and the jury is certainly out if Hobgood was that...

:laughlol:

Archived