Sun: O's likely to make offer to Sano, have some interest in Chapman

JTrea81

You haven't read the stuff about Sano?

If you have, then why should Jtrea waste his time looking for something that you could just as easily find and have probably read.

He's just making a point that JT is going to jump on this kid as the savior of the franchise because he is an offensive player up for FA, so their should be no amount too great. He tends to do this based on those two principles alone sometimes, so he wants to know what great insight that he has read that makes him think he is worth the $4mil +.

I do think if the O's have a value in mind for him, they won't go much over that. If there is only a two team race, and they aren't exactly in a bidding war it should say that he hasn't impressed them that much in person.

The media reports are great, but I'd need some hard data before I was ready to commit that much on a whim. If you tell me he can hit 95mph fastballs and 75mph offspeed stuff on both sides of the plate, no movement in his stance, good footwork, solid glove and a strong arm you have my attention, but it's hard to do with the limited scouting resources we have on these dominican guys.

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is an important point to all you tantrum stompers, from the Swami of International Talent himself, Kiley McDaniel :

There are a handful of clubs (say six to eight) that have spent the most money in Latin America for years now, and thus have experienced scouts, key relationships, impressive facilities, recognizable Latin big-league stars, and the biggest international budgets. These teams had the infrastructure in place long before every other organization deemed it a necessity to set up shop in the Dominican. While teams can buy their way into "big spender" status as a strategic move, these original clubs still possess some advantages that can't be bought. This group of long-time big-spending clubs dominated the market in terms of quality signees for years, though some clubs with smaller budgets claim that the dominance is only in spending.

The point is that this stuff takes time and this team has crapped the bed for entirely too long for people to expect them to just dive in and takeover. MacPhail has the wheels turning on this (and I'm gonna use a Flannyterm here) PROCESS. It's a process, something that takes years to establish.

You guys act like it's easy to just buy your way in without doing the work, building the relationships and trust, etc... it's not.

Just ask Kiley McDaniel.

This is an important point to all you tantrum stompers, from the Swami of International Talent himself, Kiley McDaniel :

The point is that this stuff takes time and this team has crapped the bed for entirely too long for people to expect them to just dive in and takeover. MacPhail has the wheels turning on this (and I'm gonna use a Flannyterm here) PROCESS. It's a process, something that takes years to establish.

You guys act like it's easy to just buy your way in without doing the work, building the relationships and trust, etc... it's not.

Just ask Kiley McDaniel.

It wouldn't be a takeover, but you can bet a Sano signing can only help raise the profile of the Orioles in the Dominican, which right now is pretty non-existant compared to NY and Boston. Even if he fails, it is worth the money to raise awareness that the Orioles exist down there.

Sano is like Uehara IMO. The Orioles once again need to spend some money to convince a high profile player international player from a certain market to be noticed in that market.

Again signing Sano could speed up the inroads the Orioles are trying to make down there IMO as more Dominicans might take the Orioles seriously and be more willing to play for them considering Sano was in the organization and the money he got.

It wouldn't be a takeover, but you can bet a Sano signing can only help raise the profile of the Orioles in the Dominican, which right now is pretty non-existant compared to NY and Boston. Even if he fails, it is worth the money to raise awareness that the Orioles exist down there.

Sano is like Uehara IMO. The Orioles once again need to spend some money to convince a high profile player international player from a certain market to be noticed in that market.

You can't buy relationships, you can't buy time and you can't buy reputations.

You can buy Miguel Angel Sano though, and I'm not saying they shouldn't.

I'm saying that I'm going to let it play out before I bodyslam the organization for dropping the ball. And when I say "I'm going to let it play out" I mean I'm going to wait to see what kind of player the kid is before I judge their decision.

If we go on the cheap and he ends up being Hanley Ramirez, I'll say we made a bad decision.

If it makes you feel better to do your thing, go nuts.

Do you know what the biggest bonus ever paid to a Latin American FA was? Who and how much?

After you google it, let me know.

Again signing Sano could speed up the inroads the Orioles are trying to make down there IMO as more Dominicans might take the Orioles seriously and be more willing to play for them considering Sano was in the organization and the money he got.

I wouldn't say it's non-existent, but it is in it's fledgling stages. They just set up the Dominican Academy down there, and they are still trying to get more star-power behind it. I think the only reason they are really in on Sano is to try to draw some PR to make it known they are going to be players down there. Signing him to the dominican players down there would mean there is another team that they can peddle their services to come July each year.

Another reason is because not every team in the majors signs players from the Dominican, and not every team signs them every year. It's fairly obvious that this year the Reds have allocated their money to Venezuela, so maybe there are only a few teams that have the appropriate contacts to sign Sano down there.

That all being said, I still want to see some things before I'm ready to give him that much money sight unseen, but that's why the O's have been working him out and scouting him so much, where I can't afford just to pick up and head to the DR to see this kid and report on it :)

You can't buy relationships, you can't buy time and you can't buy reputations.

You can buy Miguel Angel Sano though, and I'm not saying they shouldn't.

I'm saying that I'm going to let it play out before I bodyslam the organization for dropping the ball. And when I say "I'm going to let it play out" I mean I'm going to wait to see what kind of player the kid is before I judge their decision.

If we go on the cheap and he ends up being Hanley Ramirez, I'll say we made a bad decision.

If it makes you feel better to do your thing, go nuts.

Do you know what the biggest bonus ever paid to a Latin American FA was? Who and how much?

After you google it, let me know.

Michel Ynoa who the A's signed last year for $4.25 million.

Here's an article about how and why the A's signed him and other teams that are spending money down there:

So to see Inoa’s bonus, and the $2 million Cincinnati gave Dominican prospect Juan Duran in March, and the $5 million the San Diego Padres – low-revenue San Diego, consistently in the bottom third of major-league payroll – spent Wednesday to sign four Latin players and one Australian – well, it’s not just unprecedented. It turns on its head the way baseball has operated, and while there’s trepidation about bonuses spinning out of control, there’s more celebration that the Little Sisters of the Poor are throwing around money like Pacman Jones at the club.

“Large shifts always cause us some concern,” said Rob Manfred, baseball’s head labor lawyer. “But these are individual club decisions at the end of the day. The best we can do is educate people as to the relative risks and rewards and the various talent-acquisition modes. You have to get your talent somewhere.”

Today, Latin America is that place. It’s a continuous gold rush, because players are renewable resources. All 30 teams have a presence there for a good reason: nearly 30 percent of major-league players are Latino, and that number only figures to rise, so long as bargains can be had.

And, yes, Inoa at $4.25 million is a relative deal. Suppose he were born Michael Inoa, raised in California, scouted throughout his high school career, coveted ravenously and picked at the top of the MLB draft. Inoa would command a bonus far greater than the one he received from Oakland.

“Look how far this is from your ‘Moneyball’ theories a couple years ago,” Buckley said. “They were drafting all college pitchers. And now who’s the team that got the 16-year-old? Oakland.”

Buckley understands that it’s not so much a philosophy change by the A’s but a continuation of the lesson “Moneyball” taught: Oakland always tries to capitalize in efficient markets, and high-end Latino talent qualifies. One of Beane’s former lieutenants, San Diego assistant GM Paul DePodesta, called Wednesday “a monumental day for the Padres” on his blog. Buckley, months later, continues to celebrate the signing for the 6-foot-5, 200-pound Duran.

“We recognize how difficult it is to compete on major-league free agents dollar for dollar,” Buckley said. “We’re trying to level the playing field.”

And what would the max you would pay for Sano be?

Whatever it takes to sign him which will be less than $6 million IMO. If we have to overpay, then you do it. Again signing Sano is more about opening the door to new market and a new talent pipeline than signing Sano himself. We can't afford to wait years and years to raise our profile. Slow and steady won't win the Latin talent race...

I want to know why its so hard to find out if the kids name is Inoa or Ynoa. Ive seen it both ways numerous times. None the less, I wish we could have gotten our paws on him more than any of these other kids. Ynoa was well wroth that 4.25 mil.....He is advanced and has polish for a 17(I think) year old. He has 3 above average pitches with his fastball being a very very nice pitch......

He woulda been a early 1st rounder and therefor got early 1st round money. If he would have been in the 09 draft, he woulda been one of the players that a team WOULD pay the premium price for. Unlike the Matzeks and Turners, Ynoa(Inoa) was well worth the money he got. Matzek and Turner on the other hand, not so much. You could maybe compare Ynoa to Matzek, but from the way it sounds is that Ynoa's stuff is a bit better, especially the fastball. And not to mention that if Ynoa is as advanced as he is at 17, hes a year ahead of Matzek and already better....

But Sano is still a nice pickup and I think we have a good shot at snagging him....

So basically, it comes down to who's opinion you trust. Plus, nothing has actually transpired yet... so I get a little annoyed at the stupid panic that occurs around here over nothing with regards to a 16 year old Dominican kid.

Let it play out. If we pass on him and he turns out to be Hanley Ramirez, I'll sit here and say, "Wow, we really blew that one."

But I'm not going have a temper tantrum today, or the day he signs, or two weeks after he signs.

I'm not sure your "cut out" for this... :D

I've read the stuff from his agent and some stuff from McDaniel about how it's difficult to buy your way into the Latin American market.

I've read a bunch of people's opinions on Sano, but apparently our scouting department feels he's only worth late 1st round money.

So basically, it comes down to who's opinion you trust. Plus, nothing has actually transpired yet... so I get a little annoyed at the stupid panic that occurs around here over nothing with regards to a 16 year old Dominican kid.

Let it play out. If we pass on him and he turns out to be Hanley Ramirez, I'll sit here and say, "Wow, we really blew that one."

But I'm not going have a temper tantrum today, or the day he signs, or two weeks after he signs.

But its a lot more fun to have a temper tantrum. You should try it!:cussing::D

If Sano is such a "watershed" player for our franchise, then why are only 2 teams remotely interested in signing this guy? Seriously, I think that's a legit question.

JTrea, I was mostly asking this question of you, since you are the most adamant about signing him, I guess I should have responded to one of your posts about him. If he is such a "watershed" can't miss prospect then why are there only two teams after him right now. This isn't a trap question, but one I would really like to know the answer to.

Somebody help me out.

There a latin american pitcher that we found a few years ago that was "reported" to be throwing 100mph. What was his name? He flopped in the minors.

Tony was on the radio once talking about him when we signed him.

It just goes to show how dicey it can be reading "reports". The only people I would trust is the Orioles scouting dept.

Archived