Other First Round Signing Issues.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090804&content_id=6245030&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

...with an FYI on one of the consensuses favorites....

11. Tyler Matzek, Colorado Rockies: All signs are pointing to this one perhaps not getting done. The two sides are far apart and it doesn't seem like Matzek is one of the high school arms who's paying attention to what the other pitchers of his ilk are doing. He's had his number from the get-go -- believed to be in the $7 million range -- and hasn't budged from it. He's been assigned a dorm room at the University of Oregon, for whatever that's worth. If an agreement is reached, it will be last-second and it sounds like the Rockies are prepared for the possibility of not signing their top pick.

Oh well, glad we didnt waste ours on him then. I just thought of it, I remember people saying"Matzek will be back in the 2010 draft", but he wont. Hes gonna go to school for 3 years and will be among the top picks in the 2012 draft, unless Im missing something....

I'm glad ours is signed and in the bag. Hopefully, Hobgood is the talent JJ believes he is.

No use in getting exciting for or against the signing of any of these guys until it goes down.

It would never happen, but it would be funny to see 10 of them go back into the pool. Which would set up for a weird draft next year.

I'm glad ours is signed and in the bag. Hopefully, Hobgood is the talent JJ believes he is.

No use in getting exciting for or against the signing of any of these guys until it goes down.

It would never happen, but it would be funny to see 10 of them go back into the pool. Which would set up for a weird draft next year.

The following players would go to college and be ineligible for 3 more years: Tate (3rd), Wheeler (6th), Turner (9th), Maztek (11th), Purke (15th), Borchering (16th), James (18th), Miller (19th), Franklin (27th), Heathcott (29th), Washington (30th). At maximum, only 9 players from this year's first round will be back in next year's draft.

The following players would go to college and be ineligible for 3 more years: Tate (3rd), Wheeler (6th), Turner (9th), Maztek (11th), Purke (15th), Borchering (16th), James (18th), Miller (19th), Franklin (27th), Heathcott (29th), Washington (30th). At maximum, only 9 players from this year's first round will be back in next year's draft.

Really? Could have sworn a couple of them were threatening the JuCo route.

If this holds true, it could be one really long and boring 1st round next year (boring if they use the whole time slot again).

After looking at the article there are 20 teams (1,2,3,6,7,8,9,11,12,13,14,15,16,18,19,20,22,27,29,30) that haven't signed their 1st rounder yet. That seems pretty crazy to me. Many were confused upset when Hobgood was selected, but what if Wheeler/Matzek choose to go off to college instead? The difference between Matzek and Hobgood (7mill-2.4mill) theoretically give us a LOT of wiggle room in the back end of the draft. Clearly, it's not a Matzek vs. Hobgood money issue, but I am still hopeful we get a few more of these guys. Giving an "offer I couldn't refuse" to a mid-draft pick got the job done.

I listened 2 years on draft day of "why didn't they pick _____", mostly because I don't really have a clue about these guys. I must say after a few months of reading about them, I start to feel better about things. Hopefully, I can remember this a little better next year and ignore some of you guys. hahaha

Well, it is down to 19 players left unsigned now:

The Braves and top draft pick Mike Minor agreed to a contract that includes a $2.42MM signing bonus, according to Maurice Patton of the Tennessean. The Braves have never given out a bigger bonus and it's the biggest bonus ever awarded to a seventh overall pick, besting Prince Fielder's $2.4MM mark from 2002. Minor, a lefty, could pitch in the Arizona Fall League to get work in this year.

So the 7th overall pick is getting as much as the 4th and 5th selections.

Really? Could have sworn a couple of them were threatening the JuCo route.

I thought I heard that Turner, Purke and someone else were. I'm really surprised that more of them aren't since there will be a rookie cap in place before they are eligible again.

Well, it is down to 19 players left unsigned now:

So the 7th overall pick is getting as much as the 4th and 5th selections.

That's because Sanchez and Hobgood were signability picks (Hobgood made at a least over $600,000 more since he was rumored for the Rockies at the earliest at #11; Sanchez made even more since he was at best a back end first rounder but more likely a supplemental or even 2nd rounder). Minor was rated higher than both although he was also considered a signability pick for the Braves.

The Orioles are tied for the 4th worst record in baseball entering today's day game. So based on that and the number of players that may go unsigned, this could be the draft order... (I'm assuming Ackley will sign)

1) Nationals

2) Nationals

3) Kansas City

4) San Diego

5) San Diego

6) Baltimore

I really don't see Tate signing and I have no confidence in the Nationals to do anything positive for the franchise.

You can't extrapolate out speculation to where our two second round picks would fall, obviously, due to unsigned picks and sandwich picks.

The Orioles are tied for the 4th worst record in baseball entering today's day game. So based on that and the number of players that may go unsigned, this could be the draft order... (I'm assuming Ackley will sign)

1) Nationals

2) Nationals

3) Kansas City

4) San Diego

5) San Diego

6) Baltimore

I really don't see Tate signing and I have no confidence in the Nationals to do anything positive for the franchise.

You can't extrapolate out speculation to where our two second round picks would fall, obviously, due to unsigned picks and sandwich picks.

It would be really great if the O's could get pick #3 or 4 somehow, well I mean by playing as usual ;)

Archived