Roch: O's may look to get a big bat this offseason

LookinUp

What would we do with Suppan?

You pitch him...If he sucks, you cut him...If he is any good, you trade him.

But who cares..That isn't the point...You trade for him so that you can get Fielder at a reduced price...If that doesn't work, then you don't trade for Suppan.

But maybe by trading for Suppan, you can keep Arrieta and replace him with DH and Britton or something like that.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But who cares..That isn't the point...You trade for him so that you can get Fielder at a reduced price...If that doesn't work, then you don't trade for Suppan.

But maybe by trading for Suppan, you can keep Arrieta and replace him with DH and Britton or something like that.

Would you require an extension be agreed to from Fielder? And how would the players sent change with/without extension(s)?

I would be surprised if the Brewers let Suppan's contract be much of a determining factor in what they get back for Fielder. Maybe it means you don't have to throw in that 4th player, but that is about all you're gonna get for it.

I think we're going to sign a DH for 1-2 years. I would be surprised if we got a big time trade done this offseason. We don't have the pitching depth yet (no, having a long list of prospects is not depth).

Agree with Frobby that this sounds like Roch has some inside guidance - though I wish someone would guide his humor away from the sophomorish Leno imitations (my dog is funnier).

I could care less about a leader than i do about adding a 900+ ops in the middle of our lineup. We will have to give up to get and that's where I believe it will be interesting to see how AM goes to work as the GM with "wants" instead of the one with the leverage.

LOL....Because of this year and his +/- stat?

That is crazy.

The guy has upper echelon defensive potential...He has showed it a lot and showed it last year...A few bad months doesn't change anything about his upside.

You are obsessed with the small sampling of these defensive stats.

Since he has been in the ML he has been a 0, a +3, a +7, and a -9 so far this season. Nothing there to indicate he is an upper echelon CF. That would be someone like Gutierez who is consistently in the +20's. I said he was good not great. That's giving him a little more credit than perhaps he deserves.

Since he has been in the ML he has been a 0, a +3, a +7, and a -9 so far this season. Nothing there to indicate he is an upper echelon CF. That would be someone like Gutierez who is consistently in the +20's. I said he was good not great. That's giving him a little more credit than perhaps he deserves.

That says that he's probably a little above average for a MLB center fielder. Which means he's a damn fine fielder.

I think we're going to sign a DH for 1-2 years. I would be surprised if we got a big time trade done this offseason. We don't have the pitching depth yet (no, having a long list of prospects is not depth).

Exactly, look for a Thome, Vlad, Huff type signing.

on competing in future: "Need to fill some holes. Going to let our young players to play next year to see where we are at. Then we may look to add via FA" : From "AM visits Twins Both" blog

Not to sure what AM meant by this, but i seems contadictorary to what Roch is saying.... I would like to see it, but do not think it will happen. Not to mention we will have to trade for opposed to a FA signing.

It seems pretty clear that the team needs something more in the middle of the order. A pure, elite hitter in the Palmeiro mold (I know he was juicing, apparently, but what a hitter).

We also need a veteran DH, a la Harold Baines. A consistent .300 hitter with 20-25 HR power.

Heck, we need a lot of things. But they would cost money, and the team would have to look at itself as a contender, which this team does not... and will not... until or unless they miraculously win 90 games in the AL East.

I ain't holding my breath at this rate.:mad:

Archived