"See The Birds" promotion shutdown

ChaosLex

Do you agree or disagree with the O's "shutting down" the WNST promotion?  

111 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree or disagree with the O's "shutting down" the WNST promotion?

Its not even that. NST KNOWS what will happen. They should know that only 500 dollar tickets are available, and they are ONLY AVAILABLE FOR INDIVIDUAL SALE ONLINE, as is clearly pointed out on the website.

http://baltimore.orioles.mlb.com/bal/ticketing/masn.jsp

Now, NST could attempt to purchase a couple hundred tickets for the game in advance, Nestor could do it - he could get some nameless-faceless inter at the studio to do it, give him the money and that would be the end of it.

But, at the end of the day, they should know that this promotion is not intended to be used by groups, that what group ticket pricing is for.

Now, if they want to get a bunch of people together to try and sit in the same section, like they did last time - they could easily do that. But to me it seems that NST is purposefully exploiting a flaw in the system to make the Orioles look bad.

The problem is Peter Angelos and company are equally as hard headed as Nestor and his gang at WNST. The Orioles could have gave a little, however WNST should not have developed this plan while one the radio. They did that so they could destroy the Orioles on the air if they didn't give them the $1 tickets. ESPN would never have even mentioned the plan until terms were agreed upon. That is terrible business on Nestor's part, but alienating a team in a two market sports town (Ravens + Orioles) is pretty silly too.

On the flip side, the $1 ticket is meant to bring people to the games and the Orioles would have made some money on concessions and maybe even Orioles gear. The $1 to the Orioles-$1 to the Markakis foundation is kind of a joke though. WNST might have brought 500 people to the yard, but WNST should have said that it will match the donation of all people attending the game. Maybe the Orioles could have matched WNST's total and Nick could have raised $2000 that night. WNST looks like a winner for working with the Orioles, the Orioles look like a winner for working with WNST, and Nick Markakis and the two businesses did something great for the community.

This feud between the Orioles and WNST has been old for a long time. I am tired of hearing Orioles rants on WNST everyday. It's like a broken record with those guys. We all know the Orioles on the field product is below average as it directly ties into a below average record over the last decade. Pittsburgh is a bad team year in and year out, but I bet their local media doesn't bad mouth them on a daily basis the way WNST does. I have said this before and I will say it again, WNST is going to need the Orioles a whole lot more than the Orioles needs WNST. Neither side is right, but crushing the Orioles as the single failure of downtown businesses is lame. Baltimore as a city needs to do a better job of drawing people into our prime viewing attraction. Why is the Zoo not located downtown? Why is there no gambling? Horse racing? Outdoor concert venue's? Promotional deals on hotels and attractions? We all can point the finger, but as fans, we are the ones paying the price of the WNST-Orioles fued.

Baseball is more entrenched in my sould than football. While I was pumped the night the Ravens won the Super Bowl, I may cry if the Orioles ever win the World Series. Bashing something I love is not the best way to draw me in. Baltimore is one of the smartest sports cities in America. Many of us could sit in a chair and talk about sports on a very high level. What they do at WNST isn't magic, but you could at least be professional at it. They alienate as many listeners as they suck in with the anti-Orioles talk. I hope some day they figure that out, but maybe they already have. If they loved the Ravens and the Orioles, how would they be any better than ESPN or CBS? The answer is they wouldn't so they find an area of radio that needs to be filled for the time being. I wonder how things will work when the Orioles start to win.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Every single thing that Nestor and Drew do in regards to the Orioles is part of their agenda to make the organization appear as though it doesn't care about fans at all.

If WNST actually wanted to do a promotion with the Orioles where they sold tickets through their website for a discounted rate with half of that going to Nick Markakis' charity, then they should have approached the Orioles about it to see what could be done. Instead they announced it on their website and over the air without consulting the Orioles, knowing that the Orioles would respond the way they did. If you read Drew's blog about it when it was announced the language was very confrontational and inflammatory.

WNST (specifically Nestor and Drew) doesn't care about fans going to Orioles games. It doesn't care about Nick Markakis' charity. All it cares about it sticking it to the Orioles and trying to make them look like fools.

Seriously, bringing a charity into their self-promotion is low.

It's what they do. Earlier this year they were asking people to change their facebook pics to the charity logo which just happened to be a ribbon with a giant WNST across it. Pitiful. Nestor and crowd know of no low they can't get below.

Pretty amusing that they are complaining about the service charges.

Have they ever bought a ticket for any even on TM? if they have, they know a service charge is always attached to it...Its a bs charge but its how it has always been done..The Orioles have no control over it.

Next thing you know, NST will want to put on a charity beerfest at a game and complain that the Orioles didn't sell them beers for $1. :rolleyes:

My intial reaction was this was wrong by the Orioles but after hearing more about it, it seems that NST sunk to another new low.

I am so glad Stoner didn't win that contest...Not sure I could respect him if he worked for NST. LOL

Pretty amusing that they are complaining about the service charges.

Have they ever bought a ticket for any even on TM? if they have, they know a service charge is always attached to it...Its a bs charge but its how it has always been done..The Orioles have no control over it.

Next thing you know, NST will want to put on a charity beerfest at a game and complain that the Orioles didn't sell them beers for $1. :rolleyes:

My intial reaction was this was wrong by the Orioles but after hearing more about it, it seems that NST sunk to another new low.

I am so glad Stoner didn't win that contest...Not sure I could respect him if he worked for NST. LOL

Yeah, it does sound like WNST is up to some shady stuff. The sooner Billick buys out Nestor, the better.

So it WNST sinking to a new low because they want to go to the O's game for the price the Orioles published of $1?

How about 12 years of losing being a new low? and an empty stadium being a new low?

Next Tuesday they will have 5k people at best, why not sell them tix for $1 and have people actually go to the ballgame. WNST had hundreds of people set to go and watch the game not protest.

And maybe just maybe they have a good time and want to return. Orioles don't care about people they care about TV and keeping the budget down. Butts in the seats and winning don't count, see Ty Wigginton, Hendricks, Eaton, Koji who?, Zaun, Freel, Izturis...Free Agents ha ha ha

I think the O's have done enough to embarres themselves....See last place again along with...

Oriole park at Fenway park or Oriole park at the Yankee Stadium

Relevant? I think its to late for you as they are relevant and contrary to the belief of many on this site, life long Orioles fans listen to the station. Sorry but ESPN radio does not cover the O's and Anita Marks only talks about Brandon Marshall and has no idea about the O's.

I think the O's have done enough to embarres themselves....See last place again along with...

Oriole park at Fenway park or Oriole park at the Yankee Stadium

Relevant? I think its to late for you as they are relevant and contrary to the belief of many on this site, life long Orioles fans listen to the station. Sorry but ESPN radio does not cover the O's and Anita Marks only talks about Brandon Marshall and has no idea about the O's.

If you continually work to embarrass an organization...and then whine that they didn't help you out...you're an idiot (especially when you're promotion is some ill-conceived, back handed attempt at generating more embarrassment).

Wait as far as promotions, didn't the O's offer to sell tix for $1?

Anyone think the Yankees and Redsox are selling tix for $1?

Oh wait they are not at rock bottom. Selling tix for $1 is embarrasing and shows you the state of the franchise and the communities lack of interest in the team.

So it WNST sinking to a new low because they want to go to the O's game for the price the Orioles published of $1?

How about 12 years of losing being a new low? and an empty stadium being a new low?

Next Tuesday they will have 5k people at best, why not sell them tix for $1 and have people actually go to the ballgame. WNST had hundreds of people set to go and watch the game not protest.

What is preventing those 'hundreds' from buying the $1 ticket on there own?

The .50 charge the O's have no control over?

Haynie is the only thing listenable over at NST and I used to listen a lot. Drew and Nestor whine so much that they really don't seem to have a clue about baseball anymore, basic facts seem to elude them, and its bleeding into there football coverage.

Oh wait they are not at rock bottom. Selling tix for $1 is embarrasing and shows you the state of the franchise and the communities lack of interest in the team.

But I thought "hundreds" wanted to pay a $1.

I am not sure if it is still the case or not but when the BRaves opened up Turner Field, they had $1 tickets. Are they a poor organization? Going to the playoffs every year in that stretch and they still did that.

And in this awful economy, it is smart to do this.

when people come into the park, they tend to spend money on other things..Its called generating revenue...Yes, the Orioles string of being pathetic means they need to do stuff like this but that doesn't take away from the intelligence of the promotion itself.

Oh and you don't sell them in huge groups because of the concern of scalping.

Yes, but apparently not to large groups and there was a limited number available.

What's your point? The Sox and Yanks are better than us now and have no problem selling tickets? Shocking, isn't it?

If you aren't sold out, it's better to get people into the stadium anyway you can. Funny, now teams get badmouthed for reducing ticket prices.

Archived