Why are the D'back winning?

wildcard

I have been researching the D'back as a model team for player development and I have come across a question I can't answer. Why are they winning? They are 14th in the NL in runs, 12th in errors, and 6th in pitching. Yet they are tied with the Mets of the most wins.

Can anyone explain this?

Because they have a pretty solid bullpen that doesn't blow leads consistently every night. They hang on and win the 4-3 and 8-7 games. That's pretty much how you can sum it up.

You could also say they are playing over their heads still, could it last all the way though October? Probably not, but they are still playing well, but they shouldn't. Example of that is the Orioles in the first half of 2005.

I have been researching the D'back as a model team for player development and I have come across a question I can't answer. Why are they winning? They are 14th in the NL in runs, 12th in errors, and 6th in pitching. Yet they are tied with the Mets of the most wins.

Can anyone explain this?

Sure!

Luck trumps performance in the short run; performance trumps luck over the long haul.

When teams are comparatively equal, a whole season can be a short run of luck.

Archived