Knott DFA'd?

Elbren

I say whatever. This isn't a matter of him being better than Torres or Stern, etc. They stink too, and they will be next on the chopping block. Knott failed to impress the Flanagan front office and he failed to impress the MacPhail front office. They didn't want him, so they let him go. He had a lousy year in Norfolk, and spare me the excuses. Maybe he is what he is - a one dimensional mediocre 29 year old minor leaguer.

Sure, I can see where it wouldn't hurt to give him a shot and see if he could contribute next year. Me personally though, I would hope any solution they come up with for next year is something way better than Knott. Why waste our time and his time?

Believe me, I'm sick of seeing the same people in the lineup that you are, and would love just to see what some new faces would do. I'm not going to lose sleep over missing out on Jon Knott though. I'd much rather complain about Moore and House not getting regular time and Reimold not getting a cup. Knott is way down on my list of people I'd like to see.

He had a down year and his OPS was over .800 at Norfolk. He hit homers and walks. Someone will give him a chance and he very well could turn into Jack Cust. That is why people are angry.

He DIDN'T get a chance and yet there is a guy playing LF for us who has an OBP under .300 and quite frankly is very average defensivly in LF.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He had a lousy year in Norfolk, and spare me the excuses. Maybe he is what he is - a one dimensional mediocre 29 year old minor leaguer.

If you don't take into account his injury and Norfolk's park effects that's sort of true. From June until now he's put up an .850 OPS. He's pretty clearly a better hitter than any Oriole outfielder not named Markakis.

Sure, I can see where it wouldn't hurt to give him a shot and see if he could contribute next year. Me personally though, I would hope any solution they come up with for next year is something way better than Knott. Why waste our time and his time?

We're wasting our time with Jay Payton and Tike Redman, and both are worse players.

Believe me, I'm sick of seeing the same people in the lineup that you are, and would love just to see what some new faces would do. I'm not going to lose sleep over missing out on Jon Knott though. I'd much rather complain about Moore and House not getting regular time and Reimold not getting a cup. Knott is way down on my list of people I'd like to see.

I want to see all of them, including Knott. This team has no room for dismissing anyone with a legitimate shot at helping. We've been shut out how many times in the last couple weeks and we're still playing Payton and Redman and Bako?

I want to see all of them, including Knott. This team has no room for dismissing anyone with a legitimate shot at helping. We've been shut out how many times in the last couple weeks and we're still playing Payton and Redman and Bako?

I agree with everything you are saying, except about Redman. Trust me, I know what he is over the long term and that is a 5th OF, however, he has at least produced when used. Jay Payton might be a great guy, but every time I see him it sets off a Pavlovian type response, except I'm not hungry I am ANGRY!

If you don't take into account his injury and Norfolk's park effects that's sort of true. From June until now he's put up an .850 OPS. He's pretty clearly a better hitter than any Oriole outfielder not named Markakis.

He played worse on the road. .226 AVG, .432 SLG. That's pretty bad.

We're wasting our time with Jay Payton and Tike Redman, and both are worse players.

One of them backs up Patterson.

And defense counts! Knott basically lost us one game this year with a two run error.

He played worse on the road. .226 AVG, .432 SLG. That's pretty bad.

One of them backs up Patterson.

And defense counts! Knott basically lost us one game this year with a two run error.

And Payton's bat has cost us countless games. Knott, over a period of years, has proven beyond a doubt he's at least a decent major league hitter. Defense counts, just not above everything else. Defense is very important, just not as important as offense and pitching. Especially corner outfield defense. This isn't an up-the-middle player we're talking about.

You would think Albert Pujols was released. The guy stuck out every 3.5 at bats at against AAA pitching. Maybe we can bring AAA pitchers along to face him at the major league level. I guess it is the ballparks fault he can't make contact with the ball. As pointed out his numbers were actually worse on the road. It's nice to judge the Orioles when we don't even know who our LF will be next year. I guess by playing him in September he will morph into a completely different hitter. Jay Gibbons may very well be our 4th outfielder going into next year for all we know..

You would think Albert Pujols was released. The guy stuck out every 3.5 at bats at against AAA pitching. Maybe we can bring AAA pitchers along to face him at the major league level. I guess it is the ballparks fault he can't make contact with the ball. As pointed out his numbers were actually worse on the road. It's nice to judge the Orioles when we don't even know who our LF will be next year. I guess by playing him in September he will morph into a completely different hitter. Jay Gibbons may very well be our 4th outfielder going into next year for all we know..

You're right. They need to keep giving chances to 31-year-old players who couldn't cut it on the Pirates and found themselves in indy leagues instead. They need to keep playing players who weren't half a good as Knott in AA. They need to keep playing 150-lb utility infielders who had an OPS 150 or 200 points lower than Knott in left field occasionally.

No reason to give a chance to a guy who's torn up AAA pitching for years. No, none at all. The O's win 90 or 100 games with this strategy every year, so it must be credible. Remember, if the O's do it, it must be right. :rolleyes:

You're right. They need to keep giving chances to 31-year-old players who couldn't cut it on the Pirates and found themselves in indy leagues instead. They need to keep playing players who weren't half a good as Knott in AA. They need to keep playing 150-lb utility infielders who had an OPS 150 or 200 points lower than Knott in left field occasionally.

No reason to give a chance to a guy who's torn up AAA pitching for years. No, none at all. The O's win 90 or 100 games with this strategy every year, so it must be credible. Remember, if the O's do it, it must be right. :rolleyes:

Like I said Redman was or is the answer. Do you really think the Orioles are saying to themselves that Tike Redman-who is only 2 years older than Knott- will be our starting LF next year?

I didn't realize utility infielders were suppose to slug well ,I always thought their job was to be able to field.

There are alot of reasons not to play him, like maybe they have judged his talents are not good enough. You don't think Knott wasn't being judged everyday at AAA. I guess playing him in September is going to change his ability to be able to hit a breaking ball or not. AAA pitching stinks. The Orioles are a 900 run offense playing against Tampa Bay, Chicago and Kansas City this year. AAA pitching is basically the Rob Bells and Kirk Birkins of the world spread in with some young prospects who may or may not make it at the MLB level. We have seen first hand this year the difference between being successful at AAA and the Major Leagues.

The reason the Orioles have stunk for 10 years is because until this year their starting pitching was weak, a poor bullpen and a lineup without pop in the middle of the order. Until Bedard developed our best pitcher since Mussina was Rodrigo Lopez. We still don't have a true #4 hitter. A team wins based on how good it's core players are not who their 4th outfielder is. I am not defending the Orioles overpaying for mid-level talent. Just because they haven't built a winner doesn't mean they are wrong on Knott. Jay Gibbons who has a MLB resume and is only 1 year older than Knott is hated on this board and Knott is loved. It is always easy to root for the underdog.

Who is making these decisions? Seriously, how can we manage to make a smart move like the Trachsel trade and then turn around and do this? It just doesn't make any sense... I can only hope that this move was made by Flanagan or Duquette as a last ditch effort to harm the Orioles future before they get fired...

How can you DFA Knott over Adam Stern and/or Elder Torres!?!?!?!?

Who is making these decisions? Seriously, how can we manage to make a smart move like the Trachsel trade and then turn around and do this? It just doesn't make any sense... I can only hope that this move was made by Flanagan or Duquette as a last ditch effort to harm the Orioles future before they get fired...

How can you DFA Knott over Adam Stern and/or Elder Torres!?!?!?!?

My guess is he is the emergency CF answer should we fail to sign one.

Eider Torres...I don't know.

"Middle infielder Eider Torres is among the least heralded additions to the Orioles’ 40-man roster this off-season, but his presence should not be overlooked. An Eastern League All- Star this season, Torres is a fast, scrawny player who excels at Sam Perlozzo-style small ball. His best defensive position is second base, although he is often asked to play shortstop and has even seen time in centerfield.

Torres was signed at age 17 by the Cleveland Indians in 2000 as an undrafted free agent. After advancing slowly through the Tribes system, he was granted free agency as a 6 year minor league veteran this off-season. In a continuing effort to add depth to the minor league system, the Orioles signed Torres and protected him with a spot on their 40-man roster. Standing 5-8 and weighing 160 pounds, he is certainly not a power threat. In fact, Torres has hit only twelve home runs in his six minor league campaigns. What Torres can do, however, is terrorize opposing catchers while on the basepaths. Last season alone, he stole 41 bases in 53 attempts at Double-A Akron as well as 3 of 4 in a short stint at Triple-A Buffalo. Last year’s stolen base champion in the Orioles’ minor league system was Lorenzo Scott, who swiped at total of 29 for Delmarva. "

Bad idea to DFA Knott, but he's been lousy this year and doesn't deserve the same level of scrutiny that the FO's handling of Cust received. The guy was hitting near the Mendoza line most of the year in the MINORS, has only 13 bombs for a so-called power hitter... but this Santos guy, at age 31, doesn't offer much promise at all.

Actually, this is a really sad truth: Tike Redman, JR House and Victor Santos are all Pirates castoffs.

Let me say that again for emphasis:

PIRATES CASTOFFS!

Actually, this is a really sad truth: Tike Redman, JR House and Victor Santos are all Pirates castoffs.

Let me say that again for emphasis:

PIRATES CASTOFFS!

And Jack Cust is an Orioles castoff. I see your point, but sometimes that reasoning doesn't work.

Archived