Snyder - "I WANT to be the every day first baseman"

SilentJames

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Orioles WILL NOT contend unless our existing players take big jumps.

The other school of thought, which I think is more than a little loony, is that the O's should trade most of their young talent for established, premium players, thereby bypassing the risk that they won't take big jumps.

Of course, implicit in that is the assumption that the O's can take on a payroll of well over $100M, they can fill all the holes created in the lineup and farm with more money and international signings, and that all of the new stars will continue to produce like stars for the foreseeable future.

So, yea, back to the original point... the young guys need to take some leaps forward or the O's aren't contenting.

So, yea, back to the original point... the young guys need to take some leaps forward or the O's aren't contenting.

The Orioles need to get into a rhythm of drafting talent and promoting those players into the MLB. If they can consistently do that faster than they lose players, eventually the talent will catch up to itself and the team will start winning. But it's only been two years... the minors are still sparse and there are still holes to be filled in the MLB. We have a ways to go before the Orioles are operating efficiently. The minors were just drained like a tub.

The other school of thought, which I think is more than a little loony, is that the O's should trade most of their young talent for established, premium players, thereby bypassing the risk that they won't take big jumps.

Of course, implicit in that is the assumption that the O's can take on a payroll of well over $100M, they can fill all the holes created in the lineup and farm with more money and international signings, and that all of the new stars will continue to produce like stars for the foreseeable future.

The other plan is to be the Yankees.

It's that simple.

Yeah. It's crazy. We stay patient through a rebuild understanding it's the only path to long-term success. Then, on the eve of any possible success, we get panicky about the re-build working and decide to spend enormous amounts of cash on FAs who we could've just spent money on way back when.

The Orioles need to get into a rhythm of drafting talent and promoting those players into the MLB. If they can consistently do that faster than they lose players, eventually the talent will catch up to itself and the team will start winning. But it's only been two years... the minors are still sparse and there are still holes to be filled in the MLB. We have a ways to go before the Orioles are operating efficiently. The minors were just drained like a tub.

Yes, that's the plan. A self-sustaining organization that rarely has to go to outside sources to fill major holes.

I don't think there's a farm system in all of baseball that could promote five or six quality players to the majors inside of one season and not have some organizational holes to fill. That they still have the likes of Arrieta, Britton, Bell, Snyder and others who're nearly ready on top of Matusz, Tillman, Bergesen, Wieters, Berken, and Reimold is a testament to how far they've come in the MacPhail years.

Yeah. It's crazy. We stay patient through a rebuild understanding it's the only path to long-term success. Then, on the eve of any possible success, we get panicky about the re-build working and decide to spend enormous amounts of cash on FAs who we could've just spent money on way back when.

Nobody's panicking.

MacPhail has said we are out of Phase I and are now looking to make a significant improvement in the standings.

And that can't be done without adding external talent IMO.

We are not going to the playoffs with a completely young, cheap roster IMO.

Nobody's panicking.

MacPhail has said we are out of Phase I and are now looking to make a significant improvement in the standings.

And that can't be done without adding external talent IMO.

We are not going to the playoffs with a completely young, cheap roster IMO.

Your second and third points are strawmen. No one here debates either point. It's a matter of timing and focus, as we've noted (repeatedly).

But your suggested moves come at enormous costs.

So anybody who thinks we should start Bell and Snyder in 2011 basically thinks we shouldn't compete until 2012 at the earliest which is contrary to popular opinion here IMO.

I think people just don't get the disconnect there.

Waiting on Bell and Snyder is basically throwing away two years of playoff eligibility IMO.

Look, it's apparently fine to repeat your same bogus conclusions in every single thread, day after day, week after week, like a broken record that nobody can stop. You don't know what you're talking about, but you are permitted to make a fool of yourself. However, you really shouldn't say that everybody who doesn't buy your knuckelheaded tripe "basically thinks we shouldn't compete until 2012", because that's just a lie.

You seem to think that saying any fool thing is OK, as long as you include "IMO" in it. You're not even trying to have a decent conversation, you're just insisting on constantly cramming your inane conclusions down everybody's throat. Why you want to submit Oriole fans to this is beyond me. I don't think Oriole fans did anything to you, but you want to subject everybody to your crap anyway.

I suspected not signing Tex would have some ramifications that would be tough to swallow...

But, I have to admit, I didn't think it would be felt most painfully in the daily erosion of any decent OH baseball conversation.

90% of threads have basically become intolerable. It's tough...at least for me.

What's the point?

No matter what anyone says, you are just going to say no, it won;t work.

its like trying to have a discussion with Rshack.

End of the day, no matter what you want to believe or think, these things are for sure:

1) The Orioles need to have a run differential of 150+ runs.

2) The Orioles WILL NOT contend unless our existing players take big jumps.

These are 2 undisputable things...All the other stuff is window dressing.

Pretty much.

Listen, the whole point of this thread:

Snyder is crushing the ball in AFL. He had a good showing at norfolk, though it seems the park killed his numbers. There really are no better 1B options out there right now and I am glad to see that the culture change of the Orioles system is starting to show tangible results.

Snyder saw the guys he played with come up and be successful. They got called up, took their lumps and stayed with the team. The organization showed faith in them - and they returned that faith with quality play that should be the building blocks for the next year or two of development.

Snyder wants to be a part of that. He is excited, THAT was the point.

Bell is in the same boat. Completely raking and counting the days to get here. I would rather go with Bell than spend money on an older Chone Figgins for two years. I genuinely think that Bell could give us near Figgins-like OPS numbers and with more power.

Who else, Troy Glaus? Why would we want to go backwards for someone who is "proven" as you put it when we could have a RISING star coming into the prime of his young career?

There is no reason to block these guys if they deserve the chance to play.

Face Trea - if it were Justin Smoak you would never dream of sigining some retread stop-gap guy. We have nothing to lose by letting these guys play.

You need to stop equating salary level to greatness. Yes the Orioles need to spend more money, and I am sure they will, but why spend money on so-so FA stop-gaps when you have two kids chomping at the bit to make the big club?

Back to the real point and subject of the thread, Snyder is saying all the right things, and it's clear he's got the work ethic and commitment to make it happen. Something we've talked about, and the young guys have mentioned, but in my view can't be underestimated or mentioned enough, is the level of continuity and success these guys have had together as they've come through the minor leagues. Snyder talks about seeing the guys that came up last year, guys that he played with, and who have won in the minors before and are now up here. They buy into it, they've enjoyed their experience, and are ready to keep it going with the big league club. Snyder wants to be a part of it.

Brandon, keep working hard, doing and saying all the right things, and hitting the living snot out of the ball and you will be in the big leagues, whether it is with the Orioles or someone else. And if you come into spring training and hit the crap out of every pitch you see, you just might be up here sooner than anyone thinks.

Archived