Snyder - "I WANT to be the every day first baseman"

SilentJames

Smoak is excellent defensively as well..Could help get him to that 5 WAR.

I don't think Jtrea's opinion of him being a 5 WAR player is wrong.

What is absurd is that he has a double standard...He is saying he doesn't want someone that isn't established yet he will for his boy.

I agree about him defensively.

But he has done nothing in his career to make confidently think he will be in the class of Teixeira, Fielder, Gonzalez, etc.

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One of the comps I've used for Snyder is James Loney, although I think Snyder can hit for a tick more power. Seems to have worked out pretty well for the Dodgers.

Well when you have Manny Ramirez, you can afford to lose some power at 1B.

There's no point in getting a stopgap if you don't have a LT solution to replace that stopgap with IMO.

Since I don't view Snyder as a LT solution unless the previous conditions I've stated are met, I want us to go after a LT solution.

I think MacPhail is more likely to trade for Adrian Gonzalez or Prince Fielder than to sign Lackey and Holliday based on his MO.

So than to be clear you want nothing to do with Glaus, Delgado etc etc etc?

I dont think anyone is arguing that we need to get better production from 1B than we have gotten, just some of us are willing to see if Snyder is that guy and also to willing to see what if we have better than average production from other positions to determine the best way to allocate resources for 1B. For example, if we are getting average to below average production from other positions then we may need to go after the "big bat". If we are getting better than average production out of say the cather and the CF then maybe we don't need to break the bank for 1B and can allocate those resources elsewhere. Either way, we need to figure out what we have and 2010 is going to go a long way to that end.

I'm certainly willing to wait and see for this as well. There's absolutely no logical reason as to why Prince Fielder or Adrian Gonzalez HAVE to be an Oriole in 2010.

It is complete against MacPhail's MO to trade multiple young, impact players, especially pitchers, for one high-priced veteran.

It's also against his MO to spend money to sign premium FAs, but out of the two possiblities, I think he's more likely to trade for a solution than to buy one in FA.

I suppose you would need to look back at all the recent championship teams. I am not as well versed in defensive prowess but I would imagine that it would be difficult to get well above average defense from all three of those positions.

I meant offense, not defense.

I doubt you see many teams at all that get upper level production from those positions.

It's also against his MO to spend money to sign premium FAs, but out of the two possiblities, I think he's more likely to trade for a solution than to buy one in FA.

Completely disagree.

If there was a premium FA that made sense, and if it was a guy who would put us over the top, I think he would do it.

Lackey isn't that guy, it won't be worth what it takes to bring him here. Holliday isn't either.

I could see AM making a splash in FA next season, but it should be painfully obvious that none of the top FA this year make any sense.

That's completely contextual. It's not against his MO. It's against the plans he laid out when he was first signed on as GM. He has said that when the time is right he will dip into free agency for a big bat. Conversely, he's said that he is not going to trade any prospects. So yeah, what you said is pretty contrary to everything he's said to this point.

I meant offense, not defense.

I doubt you see many teams at all that get upper level production from those positions.

Exactly. With that production at those positions, we should have no problem carrying a guy who's an ~.825 OPS guy at first base.

I'm certainly willing to wait and see for this as well. There's absolutely no logical reason as to why Prince Fielder or Adrian Gonzalez HAVE to be an Oriole in 2010.

Because we have a need and so they aren't Red Sox in 2010 and beyond?

Exactly, we will know a lot more about this team at the end of 2010. It is at that point to me that we should be looking for the more immediate upgrades where we feel we do not have any real answers and who knows, we may be pleasantly surprised by the current roster.

Archived