Jayson Stark reports the O's are after Nick Johnson

jdmyprez

Wow, 7 home runs...or was it 8? 62 big ribbies

what a presence

Drungo and others constantly preach that OBP is half of OPS. Actually, I think OBP is weighted higher than SLUG in other measures. Johnson's OBP was .426 last year, .831 OPS. With very good defense.

That works fine and dandy for me til Snyder is ready.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
yeah, Snyder..maybe 12 or 13 home runs without the defense or the OBP. The Orioles need an entirely different world view at first. Snyder is not the answer.He hasn't even hit at triple A.

That's the point of the one year rental at first. If Snyder can't cut it for part of 2010, or longer, then that's a hole you've defined. You get something better next offseason or next.

Bell might impress, a lot of our other young ML guys might impress. You see what they do in 2010 and make your decisions then. Johnsonson would be fine for now.

Despite his injury concerns, I'd be happy with him. Automatic .400 on base.

Roberts is good for .350-.375

Nick has a .411 career on base hitting 2nd

Johnson has a career .400 on base percentage.

That's a pretty impressive top 3. I'll be really annoyed if the Orioles decide to hit Nick anywhere other than 2nd...which they probably will. The difference between his 2 hole/3 hole splits are pretty striking and obvious.

Despite his injury concerns, I'd be happy with him. Automatic .400 on base.

Roberts is good for .350-.375

Nick has a .411 career on base hitting 2nd

Johnson has a career .400 on base percentage.

That's a pretty impressive top 3. I'll be really annoyed if the Orioles decide to hit Nick anywhere other than 2nd...which they probably will. The difference between his 2 hole/3 hole splits are pretty striking and obvious.

Yea I agree. A 1,2,3,4 of Roberts, Johnson, Markakis and Wieters would be very exciting.

Yea I agree. A 1,2,3,4 of Roberts, Johnson, Markakis and Wieters would be very exciting.

I think you missed Moose's point. It's

Roberts

Markakis

Johnson

Wieters/Glaus/Uggla/Reimold/any other better option...

Nick destroys in the 2-hole. He's not the hammer, he's not best hitter on the team, the #3 guy is yet to be determined.

yeah, Snyder..maybe 12 or 13 home runs without the defense or the OBP. The Orioles need an entirely different world view at first. Snyder is not the answer.He hasn't even hit at triple A.
I agree that it'd be ideal to have more power throughout the lineup.

Its just wrong to say we have to get that from 1B, though. That's a place where most teams get some long ball power, but you don't have to in order to win. Especially not if you are still getting good production from 1B. Snyder won't have the OBP that someone like Johnson would provide, but he likely won't be bad in that department and should hit for about 20 HR a year.

I think he'll be like Markakis without the plate discipline. He'll hit between .290 and .310, OBP between .350 and .370, and SLG in the upper .400s to low .500s. If we can get above average to vastly above average production from positions like C, CF, LF, 2B, and 3B then we can afford to be only getting average production (for no cost, mind you) out of 1B. We could always trade Snyder once he is established in a package for a power-hitting player at 1B as well.

Of course if Snyder doesn't adjust then you're still looking for an answer at 1B, but I think the potential for Snyder to be a solid-hitting (albeit for less than ideal power) is worth us waiting to look for a long term answer at 1B unless a really great option presents itself. None of the current options, including a trade for Gonzalez or Fielder, qualifies as really great right now.

I dont think Wieters will hit enough homers.
Define enough. Most people seem to think he'll end up hitting 30+ a lot of years. That's enough for me.

The guy hit 27 HR in 130 games in his one minor league season. I think he'll be in the 20's this season and in the 30's for plenty of seasons after that.

I have a lot of confidence in Matt's hitting. Last year was a mild disappointment but I still expect him to be a complete stud at the plate.

I think you missed Moose's point. It's

Roberts

Markakis

Johnson

Wieters/Glaus/Uggla/Reimold/any other better option...

Nick destroys in the 2-hole. He's not the hammer, he's not best hitter on the team, the #3 guy is yet to be determined.

Although this is what his stats show, i feel that it is more because of protection than power or skill. It's been pretty obvious the orioles haven't had a clean up hitter in the past decade. When you bat markakis 3, he has no protection in the 4 spot so he doesn't get any pitches. However this year, when we put him 2 and jones or reimold 3, he has protection and pitchers are forced to pitch to him. If we get a solid power bat this offseason, Markakis would be fine in the 3rd position.

Drungo and others constantly preach that OBP is half of OPS. Actually, I think OBP is weighted higher than SLUG in other measures. Johnson's OBP was .426 last year, .831 OPS. With very good defense.

That works fine and dandy for me til Snyder is ready.

Hopefully Snyder is ready before Johnson's next trip to the DL.

The Yanks somehow had their late 90's dynasty without having a 30 hr guy on most of those teams.

We have at least 3 guys who profile to be around 30 hr's imo.

Love how the we need a big power bat crown never responds to this.

I would be happy with 2 years of Johnson. You still have Aubrey at AAA if/when he's injured and if Snyder is tearing it up then bring him up.

I'm pretty sure Aubrey is out of options. Plus, since he's been outrighted once, he has the right to refuse another assignment and become a FA.

I just assume letting Micheal Aubrey start the year as our 1b if were looking at Nick Johnson. Aubrey was swinging a decent stick and played a good 1b defensively. I don't see a big difference between the two and Aubrey is a lot cheaper. I know Johnson is proven but he has only had a few healthy seasons. Just my opinion.

I just assume letting Micheal Aubrey start the year as our 1b if were looking at Nick Johnson. Aubrey was swinging a decent stick and played a good 1b defensively. I don't see a big difference between the two and Aubrey is a lot cheaper. I know Johnson is proven but he has only had a few healthy seasons. Just my opinion.

Aubrey has a career riddled with injury as well, but Johnson is a better hitter by light years, and I'm an Aubrey supporter. Aubrey could surprise everyone but I doubt he's ever given a fair chance given his age/inexperience.

Archived