Hall of Famer Peter Gammons leaves ESPN..

beaner

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There's more to like about Gammons than not. He's a Tarheel, he's into music (indie) and plays the guitar, he looks like Andrew Jackson ($20 bill), very knowledgeable baseball guy, and a HOF induction.

Great post! I'm sure he'll pop up somewhere soon, but ESPN.com and Baseball Tonight won't be the same.

Um...

What the heck is this?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzAR2Z52rNM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzAR2Z52rNM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Well, another reason to watch MLB Network over Baseball Tonight. Although that's a lot like using Nintendo gaining the Sonic the Hedgehog rights as another reason to buy a Wii over a Sega Genesis.

No question a guy like Gammons belongs on an all Baseball network, we're all better off. How many days until Spring training?

I just hope he keeps his Red Sox bias in check or is forced to.

Part of the reason ESPN was all Sawx all the time was Gammons IMO.

The reason ESPN was a lot of Sox talk, is because the Sox are always good..That won't change, and Gammons shouldn't have to either. He's good enough to allow a little bias IMO, he's earned it and everyone knows where his personal biases are. It's not like it's a surprise to anyone. Except maybe people in this thread who inexplicably mentioned the Yankees.

I just hope he keeps his Red Sox bias in check or is forced to.

Part of the reason ESPN was all Sawx all the time was Gammons IMO.

Well, that and the fact that they're a big market team with a huge fanbase that's spread out all over the country and thus can't get NESN. And Gammons worked for the Globe for many years, has a lot of high-up sources in the organization, and is good friends with Theo Epstein and his twin brother. It's all part of the Gammons package. I don't think you can just selectively eliminate key parts of his identity.

This has basically removed my last reason for watching BBTN. MLB Network is where it's at now.

This is a real coup for MLB Network. As to Gammons' Red Sox bias, I've never felt he was biased, he simply gave them more attention because (1) he was a long time Boston Globe reporter, and (2) ESPN wants its reporters to give us NY/Boston/Chicago/LA all day long. I will bet you that on MLB Network you'll see him give a lot of insights about other teams, including ours.

One thing I've always liked about Gammons: he truly loves baseball and the men who play it, and it shows.

Archived