KC Star: O's want Butler or Gordon for Pie?

ChaosLex

What about Pie for Hosmer + prospect? Once a player proves they can produce in the ML at a young age, their value goes up dramatically. Hosmer is still 'prospect cheap' but he looks like a great prospect, albeit a raw one. He is also going to be blocked by Butler for the foreseeable future--especially if Gordon has to move to 1st and Butler to DH.

Also, Pie for Gordon doesn't seem outlandish to me at all. They are both players who have brilliant minor league seasons under their belt, have shown flashes of brilliance in the majors, but just haven't put it together yet. I'm a little more confident that Pie approaches his ceiling, but Gordon's is obviously a lot higher.

Another option that would never happen but would probably be the fairest/best trade for both sides would be Jones for Butler. Two guys on the brink of becoming young star faces of their respective franchises but both of them are at a position of depth for that organization. We all love Jones, but Pie as our starting CF doesn't seem so bad and having Butler at 1st for god knows how long could be amazing.

I like Butler, but the value of their respective positions makes me unwilling to give up Jones.

I agree that Pie for Gordon isn't outlandish, but it probably won't happen.

Pie for Hosmer was discussed a little bit here. It might be feasible, but I'm not sure it's wise for the Orioles. If they're serious about contending in 2011, they probably shouldn't be trading present value for a future possibility. Maybe it would be different if Hosmer had raked this season. But if he had, then the trade wouldn't be feasible anyway.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For the Royals, making sense tends to be a random proposition. It made no sense for them to trade for Mike Jacobs last winter, but that didn't stop them.

I believe that they are more sensitive than most teams to PR and the fans' perceptions, and Butler is very popular. That, maybe almost as much as the value of the return package, might make this deal hard to swing. (No way in Hades do they trade BOTH Butler and Soria, as someone here suggested).

This is exactly why I could see KC doing Gordon/ Pie straight up. The KC fan base has somewhat soured on Gordon and they don't view him as the savior they once did. This makes sense on quite a few levels, but I think the KC management may still overvalue Gordon a bit. However I'm not sure what they have in their system to replace him. They would really be creating one whole to fill another.

By the way, I have to say I really like the way AM is handling this off season. It is probably the most excited about an off season that I've been in awhile. A few more solid (not spectacular) moves and we could be on to something if some of our young guys turn the corner.

I like Butler, but the value of their respective positions makes me unwilling to give up Jones.

Hmmm considering we have a more than adequate replacement at center and nothing but uncertainty at 1st, I'd gladly make this swap.

Butler looks to be a legit beast at 1st. I am one of those on this board that isn't nearly as high on Adam Jones. And I seriously doubt he'll ever materialize into the 30 HR, perennial all star CFer that many on here seem to think (although I'd love to see it).

I truly believe that with Pie in center and Butler at first, were significantly better off than with Jones in center and say Snyder at 1st.

Thoughts???

However I'm not sure what they have in their system to replace him. They would really be creating one whole to fill another.

Not necessarily. Keep in mind they just traded for Josh Fields. Some might say trading for Fields was a sign that the Royals brass is losing faith in Gordon. I'm just sayin'...

If KC countered with this proposal:

Felix Pie and Brandon Snyder for Billy Butler

How would you all react?

Absolutely. If you can obtain Billy Butler as your corner infielder, where does Brandon Snyder fit in?

Make the trade!

Butler or Gordon are the guys I'd be asking for in return for Pie. I realize they both have more value than Pie, but I'm not so interested in anyone else they've got to offer. I'll hold onto Pie if we can't get either of those guys. I'm not opposed to adding some more along with Pie, but still one of them would be my target.

Not necessarily. Keep in mind they just traded for Josh Fields. Some might say trading for Fields was a sign that the Royals brass is losing faith in Gordon. I'm just sayin'...

Didn't know that. I would have to say that it makes even more sense that they would do Pie/ Gordon. Then it really comes down to would you rather give up Pie, who is by all accounts is a very good athlete that is just now realizing his full potential, or sign (insert one year stopgap here) until Bell is ready?

I would keep Pie over Gordon but that's just me.

Butler? well that's an entirely different story, but we'd have to give up too much to get him....

Hmmm considering we have a more than adequate replacement at center and nothing but uncertainty at 1st, I'd gladly make this swap.

Butler looks to be a legit beast at 1st. I am one of those on this board that isn't nearly as high on Adam Jones. And I seriously doubt he'll ever materialize into the 30 HR, perennial all star CFer that many on here seem to think (although I'd love to see it).

I truly believe that with Pie in center and Butler at first, were significantly better off than with Jones in center and say Snyder at 1st.

Thoughts???

I think your crazy. If Jones stays healthy he will hit 25-30 HRs a year and play GG defense. Pie won't come close IMO.

Butler or Gordon are the guys I'd be asking for in return for Pie. I realize they both have more value than Pie, but I'm not so interested in anyone else they've got to offer. I'll hold onto Pie if we can't get either of those guys. I'm not opposed to adding some more along with Pie, but still one of them would be my target.

I'm with you. Now will AM make it happen.

I think a change of scenery would do wonders for Gordon. It's pretty much impossible to be the savior of an organization, especially KC at the time of his arrival. He's a very talented player and I would love to see him in an O's uni. I dunno what it would take to get this deal done, but I like McPhail's approach to this situation.

I think your crazy. If Jones stays healthy he will hit 25-30 HRs a year and play GG defense. Pie won't come close IMO.

But Butler could hit over 25-30 HR's a year. And I actually think Pie is a better defender than Jones in CF (just not LF). Much faster also, only with maybe less base running savvy.

I agree with Cerone here, I would trade Jones for Butler straight up. Butler is a legitimate power hitting candidate.

Gordon should be attainable and he should be a target of ours.

I agree with this. Billy Butler will not be traded, it would be great, but it isn't happening. Butler is working hard to become a decent first baseman, and that is probably his ceiling defensively. But he is a pure hitter, and batting titles will not be out of the question for this guy despite poor foot speed and his right handedness. The fan base in KC would absolutely revolt. It would be akin to the O's trading Wieters.

Gordon on the other hand, is ripe for the picking. They just landed Fields to play thirdbase, and Callaspo can also play third. Moustakis is the future at third. I think it important to remember that the Royals are also very budget conscious. They are a true small market team in a tough economy. If the O's would expand the deal and take back a contract like the one belonging to David DeJesus, I think a deal could get done.

Archived