Red Sox Working Hard for A-Gon. Why Not Us?

WiredinBmore

From Gordon Edes on Twitter. I'm surprised--I'm one of those "why are we even talking about this because it's not going to happen" people.

Odd if true. Again, if true, I'd be very interested in what was offered or discussed.

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The O's better be damn sure:

a. They don't give the farm away.

b. They sign him to an extension as part of the deal.

Gonzalez could be a monster. But I don't want to risk losing 3+ high-quality prospects (or good, young guys in the majors already) for 2 years of him.

That just wouldn't make sense. That quote is interesting though, about the O's and Red Sox in on him at the Meetings.

We've seen MacPhail work wonders with trades to trade away a guy and get prospects; let's hope he has the same luck and skill for the opposite.

Realistic, sure. I think that would be awful though.

Okay I'll bite - what's the awful part? Giving up Jones? Tillman?

I have no problem giving up an unproven pitcher and a guy with all star potential for a proven All Star at a huge position of need.

The only awful part to me would be doing this without getting AGon to sign and extension - which I don't see AM doing.

I flat out disagree. You get players when you can, you don't sit around and wait or you could be waiting a long time. If we were to get AGon and a3B and add another pitcher and fix the BP[ which we can do this off season] we'd be real close to playing in the postseason.

I agree with your disagreement. If we're hoping to compete in 2011, we need to start making bold moves to improve the MLB team right now. As far as a 70 win team jumping into contention, that can happen. It did with the Rays, and has for many other teams. You never quite know when it's going to happen... But it's safe to say that it won't happen in 2011 without some major moves now.

That said, I think AM's right on track. Yes, I want everything to happen now. Yesterday would be even better. And getting Gonzalez would be tremendous if you could get him without giving up Matusz, Jones, and a bunch of other top guys. Even cooler to me would just be getting another starting pitcher like Harden, Bedard or Duchsherer and letting 1st base sort itself out among Wigginton, Scott and Snyder.

I have no problem giving up an unproven pitcher and a guy with all star potential for a proven All Star at a huge position of need.

The only awful part to me would be doing this without getting AGon to sign and extension - which I don't see AM doing.

I'm pretty sure most folks are talking about these deals sans extension. I don't see AG extending with us when he knows that Boston will gobble him up in two years.

The awful part is giving up both Jones and Tillman plus a good prospect in Synder for a guy who's only signed for two years, the first of which we won't contend. Even if we did sign him to an extension, it's not like we'd be getting a deal on that.

We'd be much better off going after someone who has more time under team control or is easier and cheaper to extend, and hopefully would only cost us Jones plus minor pieces or just sign good to great free agents when we're actually going to likely contend.

This reminds me of the rumors that we might trade Roberts for Chris Getz and Gavin Floyd of the White Sox before we signed him to an extension.

The fact that Gavin Floyd was from Maryland somehow made it easier to gloss over his poor peripheral stats and the multiple indications he was due for a regression.

We can only hope the Padres' Front Office is so deluded.

We can only hope the Padres' Front Office is so deluded.

Not a fan of Jones? I really don't want to trade him, would much prefer to get the Padres to take Pie or Reimold instead, but I'm thinking his local connection might make him extra coveted.

Archived