Orioles after Adrian Gonzalez?

JTrea81

Jones + Tillman + Snyder + 2 mid level prospects for AGon and Kouz is what I'm guessing.

Moving Jones clears a spot for Pie.

Getting AGon makes Snyder redundant.

Getting Kouz clears up the 3b situation until Bell is ready.

With the emergence of Britton and the trade for Millwood and the O's seemingly looking for another FA starter, Tillman looks like he could get squeezed out of the rotation in the short term and looks replaceable in the long term.

The mid level guys might be people like Berken or Hernandez or youngsters who are a couple of years away.

I don't see a down side in this scenario IF the O's can agree to a contract extension with AGon as part of the deal.

Well thought out.

I'd be shocked.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would. You have two years to extend him. Worst case scenario you get a monster hitter in the prime of his career making a joke out of the short porch. His addition makes our lineup one of the best in baseball and takes a lot of pressure off the kids. You're giving up three guys with high ceilings, but none has accomplished anything concrete yet. I like DH, but his FB is straight. Tillman has a lot of growing to do still. And Pie is still a project, though he's advanced for a project. And if we lose AG after two years, we get a couple high picks. AG in Camden Yards vs AG in Petco? Too intriguing to pass up....he's the goods. However, expand the deal to include another prospect or require one of CT, DH. FP to be upgraded....and I say no. It's a fine line when you're talking about trading high ceiling prospects who are ML ready from a rebuilding team.

We can agree to disagree. I think we usually do, anyway. No worries.

But I can't state enough how bad a deal I think that would be. We're not contending next year even w/ Gonzalez. So, no extension and he helps w/ a one-year window to contend. Of course, this was the first year he put up a WAR over 4, so there's that.

And the fact that it's hard to know how long the compensation system will be in place - there are rumors of its pending demise.

So, yeah, one valuable year of AG, for a possible TOR starter, a productive MLB w/ the upside of a regular CF, and a fringe-y starter w/ the floor of high -leverage reliever.

It better be a good year, I guess. Like Triple Crown.

I don't think the Pads do that deal if they have Ellsbury + Buchholz on the table from Boston. Tillman isn't a strong enough piece to anchor that deal. Also, if I'm the Pads I want Snyder as the #3 or #4 player.

I think Jones is essential to give us a superior position to Boston.

Not sure why Padres would want Sndyer? Blanks goes to 1B for them.

I think Tillman, Pie, Erbe and Herandez is plenty fair. SD loads up on pitching and adds a starting CF.

Tillman Erbe = Buchholz

Pie and Hernandez = Elsbury

What if we replaced Arrieta with David Hernandez? Would Tillman, Hernandez, Pie, Snyder get it done? That's 3 players off of the ML roster, two of them being high ceiling prospective arms, a possible highly rated 1b prospect to replace Gon @ 1st and a CF high talent prospect in Pie. Is that a deal to more people's liking?

Don't know where Holliday is coming from.

Roberts

Markakis

Reimold

Gonzalez

Wieters

Jones

Atkins

Scott

Itzturis

That lineup with a solid rotation and pen could make a little noise in the AL. I think the Rays and Blue Jays would cry if the Orioles, Yankees, and Red Sox become elite teams.

He's coming from the $15 mill a year the O's would offer him in my little fantasy, and with the knowledge that he would be a piece in a potent lineup with a solid pitching staff and a solid bullpen....

What if we replaced Arrieta with David Hernandez? Would Tillman, Hernandez, Pie, Snyder get it done? That's 3 players off of the ML roster, two of them being high ceiling prospective arms, a possible highly rated 1b prospect to replace Gon @ 1st and a CF high talent prospect in Pie. Is that a deal to more people's liking?

Arrieta>>>Hernandez. That's not really a trade off.

I found this comment on Twitter from a guy in San Diego;

Interesting, wouldnt mind a rebuild --> Source close to Gonzalez believes he'll be traded to Red Sox within next 10 days (via jorgearangure)

about 9 hours ago from TweetDeck

Are they negotiating an extension? How would AG know this....if it's true?

On one Twitter site they said Bucholtz and Ellsbury are in a possible deal. Cameron takes over in CF.

Tillman or Guthrie and Jones plus two others our answer?

I am a huge Brian Matusz fan but.....if San Diego says Jones and Matusz for Gonzalez (2 for 1)? I would do it with an extension to 5 years. Sell Jones while his value is high. This would not be a blowing up the team move. It would be a positive move that really changes our future and will improve our run production and help the other hitters in our lineup.

We can sign Pineiro and Marquis to fill out the rotation. How many more wins will Matusz have over Pineiro or Marquis each year. You can find pitchers...we need the 40+ HR cleanup hitter in our lineup and AG will love the flag court. It's a huge addition for us and keeps him out of the Red Sox lineup. He's our answer to Teixeira.

He's coming from the $15 mill a year the O's would offer him in my little fantasy, and with the knowledge that he would be a piece in a potent lineup with a solid pitching staff and a solid bullpen....

Too bad he would never sign with the Orioles for $15 mil. But I guess that's why it's your fantasy. :rolleyes:

Archived