Orioles after Adrian Gonzalez?

JTrea81

Not sure why Padres would want Sndyer? Blanks goes to 1B for them.

I think Tillman, Pie, Erbe and Herandez is plenty fair. SD loads up on pitching and adds a starting CF.

Tillman Erbe = Buchholz

Pie and Hernandez = Elsbury

I'll somewhat give you the Tillman and Erbe, but how do those two equal Ellsbury?

Tillman and Jones beats out Bucholtz and Ellsbury

Jones is our trump card here. I would have a tough time trading Tillman and Jones though, tough tough time.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From a poster on MLBTradeRumors :

Wonder who the Orioles could have offered the Padres. I'd have to imagine if it gets done it would have to start with either Adam Jones or Weiters (maybe even both), and one of the top young arms. Getting Jones might alleviate at least some of the sting in losing Adrian, as Jones is a SD product himself (not to mention we could use a dope CF with a RH bat in our park).

Posted by: agonzo23 | December 16, 2009 at 11:16 PM

Good lord.. :D

How does anyone know Gonzalez will not extend with the O's? I have not read one article where Adrian has stated this. Besides, that's a problem down the road if he is acquired. The O's could always trade him next year if that is a worry. Look at the whole Texeira to Atlanta to LA Angels deal a few years ago.

The thing I don't understand about this speculation is that people actually believe that losing Tillman and Jones would be made up for by gaining A-Gon. It just doesn't make sense.

That really depends on how Tillman performs in comparison to who we replace him with. Same can be said of who we could sign in place of Gonzalez. We look at this deal in terms of what we are giving up verses receiving. If you do that then you are missing out on the players still available or even the players that may be available next year either through free agency or trade.

If Pie performs well for us then the upgade from last years lackluster firstbase options and Gonzalez is likely to be huge. If Pie performs poorly then people may regret the trade as now were are looking to find a viable centerfielder.

From a poster on MLBTradeRumors :

Wonder who the Orioles could have offered the Padres. I'd have to imagine if it gets done it would have to start with either Adam Jones or Weiters (maybe even both), and one of the top young arms. Getting Jones might alleviate at least some of the sting in losing Adrian, as Jones is a SD product himself (not to mention we could use a dope CF with a RH bat in our park).

Posted by: agonzo23 | December 16, 2009 at 11:16 PM

Good lord.. :D

Posted by: agonzo23

I'm sure he does think himself worthy of that kind of deal. He would be wrong, but he's a ballplayer so I expect that ego :laughlol:

How does anyone know Gonzalez will not extend with the O's? I have not read one article where Adrian has stated this. Besides, that's a problem down the road if he is acquired. The O's could always trade him next year if that is a worry. Look at the whole Texeira to Atlanta to LA Angels deal a few years ago.

Look at how much Atlanta gave to Texas for Teixeira and then look at what Atlanta got from the Angels. Atlanta gave up a tremendous amount and got back next to nothing. Not a good example although the basic mindset is solid.

Well let's break this down on the Padres needs.

They are said to be looking for a CFer, pitching and a catcher.

While Buchholz is a good pitcher, he simply doesn't have the ceiling of Chris Tillman. Buchholz will be 26 next year and is likely close to being what he is going to be, likely a #3 or #4 starter.

Tillman on the other hand is only 22 and his flyball tendencies will not be as much of an issue in PETCO and the NL West in general, and still has the ceiling of a TOR starter.

As for a CFer, Ellsbury was terrible defensively last season, and should move to LF eventually.

Felix Pie is a much better defender and is cheap and under team control until after 2013.

As for a catching prospect, Max Ramirez is much more advanced than Joseph, however, Caleb Joseph is more likely to stick behind the plate and is looking like he'll be a good catching prospect and will be blocked by Wieters.

Add Snyder and Arrieta to the package and what the Orioles have to offer looks a whole lot more attractive than what the Red Sox have to offer IMO.

The thing I don't understand about this speculation is that people actually believe that losing Tillman and Jones would be made up for by gaining A-Gon. It just doesn't make sense.

Adding an All-Star, Gold Glove first baseman with 40 HR, 120 RBI ability doesn't make up for losing two young players who haven't proven they can play at an all star level for one season, much less 4 or 5?

I don't see how anyone can argue that AGon is not far superior to Jones offensively. AGon is all historical production, Jones is all projection at this point.

And Tillman failed to prove that he can handle the majors last year in a fairly extensive opportunity. Where Bergesen and Matusz showed flashes of dominance, Tillman pitched to a 7.30 ERA in his last 5 starts and averaged a HR every 4+ innings. He's no sure bet, regardless of his potential.

So your trading proven production at a huge position of need (1b) for potential at two positions where the O's have other options (CF, SP).

And lets not anoint Jones a proven commodity after a half season of strong play. His injury concerns and bad 2nd half last year have to be at least as predictive as his hot start last year. Is he going to be the feared slugger and gold glove center fielder or the enigmatic free swinger who's injuries and lack of plate discipline overshadow otherwise limitless talent?

AGon is a known quantity. Tillman and Jones are not. Advantage AGon.

Archived