International FAILURES Continue...

Stotle

How come you're an O's fan? Are you old enough to remember when Dennis pitched for the Orioles?

Yes. I'm 32 years old and have a great memory :)

I've been following the O's since I was 4-5 years old.

Anyway, we have scouts here from most MLB teams, except The O's of course. The Diamondbacks signed Vicente Padilla for almost nothing and he won some games for them.

Colorado signed Cabrera (Padres new SS) for a few bucks, too.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Perhaps there are two schools of thought within the organization regarding the D.R.. One school is saying to just improve the facilities down there (which they have only recently done) and things will get better. And while I don't want to put words into Tony's or anyone else mouth' date=' maybe there are others in the organization that feel that a different approach to scouting is also necessary....but that side's voice is not currently being heard at the very top.[/quote']

That's a good point and quite possible.

This has nothing to do with the sons. Well, let me clarify that, it has nothing to do with his biological sons. There are still some "favorite" sons working in the organization in key positions.

Is Carlos Bernhardt still in charge down there? Is he part of the problem or is he being given the run around by one of these other favorite sons?

Anyway, we have scouts here from most MLB teams, except The O's of course. The Diamondbacks signed Vicente Padilla for almost nothing and he won some games for them.

We did sign guys from Colombia, Guatemala, and Curacao this year (1 each I think - first time for us for all 3). We do seem to be making some inroads in Latin America outside the DR and Venezuela (it's been very difficult for new teams to get in there due to political situations and the organizational strength of the first 5-10 teams that got there).

It isn't enough and probably isn't happening fast enough either, but it's better than it was.

Is Carlos Bernhardt still in charge down there? Is he part of the problem or is he being given the run around by one of these other favorite sons?

That's the first name that came to my mind. He's been the O's guy in Latin America for a very long time...has stuck around through numerous front office regimes. But like you suggested, maybe someone else is pulling his strings? What is odd is that it would seem he currently doesn't receive direct orders from Stockstill/MacPhail.

Did a search and found this article from just a week or two ago. It sounds like we just plain do not have the manpower.

"I don't think there is any secret; there's not a magic formula to go out and scout internationally," said Craig Shipley, Boston's vice president of international scouting. "It's a combination of hard work and having people that are good evaluators."

Shipley, an Australian who played 11 seasons in the big leagues, estimated his department is probably among the top five in the majors in international resources and spending. Not including Shipley, Boston had 14 full-time international scouts in 2009, as well as several part-timers.

In comparison, the Orioles expect to increase from two to three full-time international scouts in 2010, not including Stockstill, and will employ several part-time scouts. In addition, Stockstill also hopes to use three members of the club's pro scouting department internationally this year.

In 2009, Stockstill and his staff spent 264 days scouting in countries in which they do not reside. With help from the pro scouting department, that should increase to between 425 to 450 days, Stockstill said. The goal, he said, is 500 scouting days.

"I think John is comfortable with that [increase]," MacPhail said. "He sold me on the idea of getting the base coverage and then bringing senior evaluators through. That is a good formula for us."

There have been other advances. Felipe Alou Jr. was hired in 2008 to oversee the Dominican facility, and Bobby Dickerson, a former Orioles minor league coach, was recently hired as the organization's minor league infield coordinator with added responsibilities as the Dominican field coordinator, meaning he will be accountable for all Orioles baseball instruction on the island.

http://mobile.baltimoresun.com/inf/infomo?view=baseball_item&feed:a=balt_sun_10min&feed:c=baseball&feed:i=51297801&nopaging=1

That is simply atrocious for a team that wants to look for quantity and potential over big dollar guys. Three full timers?

Do little kids there know who Dennis is? Or is that old news by now?

Also, does everybody there play baseball when they're kids, or just some?

How does the popularity of baseball compare with that of football (soccer)?

It's a damn shame. As you may have seen in a different thread here [EDIT: Ooops, this thread. Brain damage], it sounds like the owner has a pal who is an obstacle about the O's doing a good job of scouting in the D.R. I wonder if it's the same issue with your country. Do you hear any stories about why the Orioles don't have a presence there?

Thanks, my first language is Spanish if you guys need any translation (Orioles related articles and quotes) from time to time.

But then we won't get those great Google Translator classics like Michael Roof :D

Welcome aboard. It's always good to find people spreading the good word* on the Orioles to the far-flung corners of the globe :)

*As rare as "good words" tend to be, as this thread shows.

Do little kids there know who Dennis is? Or is that old news by now?

Also, does everybody there play baseball when they're kids, or just some?

How does the popularity of baseball compare with that of football (soccer)?

It's a damn shame. As you may have seen in a different thread here [EDIT: Ooops, this thread. Brain damage], it sounds like the owner has a pal who is an obstacle about the O's doing a good job of scouting in the D.R. I wonder if it's the same issue with your country. Do you hear any stories about why the Orioles don't have a presence there?

Most kids play Soccer now, 5 years ago Baseball was the most popular sport.

We do have some talent, for a country so small we have several good prospects playing in Minor League Teams and 2 players in the majors.

The Dominican is one area where AM has his hands tied a bit. The guys who have been running the DR department for years are very entrenched with let's say, "upper management."

I've been told a lot so of stories that I can't really get into, but let's just say none of this surprises me. The guys running the show down there have been running it this way for years and years and it's the reason why no matter how many "better facilities" we build our DR talent train is not going to improve until we clean house.

:cussing: Just when we thought that MacPhail had complete control....

This thread maybe the thread that really shows us fans that everything is still the same as it has always been under Angelos. Of course MacPhail is improving the club, but I think Angelos hired AM because he knew MacPhail wouldn't spend big bucks and would not enteratain the idea of firing people Angelos likes. The ownership needs to change still and I have a hard time seeing it changing anytime soon.

But then we won't get those great Google Translator classics like Michael Roof :D

Welcome aboard. It's always good to find people spreading the good word* on the Orioles to the far-flung corners of the globe :)

*As rare as "good words" tend to be, as this thread shows.

Thanks BaltimoreTerp. Next time I go to Baltimore I would like to meet people from the Hangout. I read it everyday but very seldom write.

You have no idea how many scouts from other teams we have here, I'm talking about permanent presence. That's why the Royals gave 1.5 M to a 16 year old kid.

Not the way I wanted to end my night before going home to the family. I keep thinking, Maybe this is all a bad dream and I will wake up soon and find out it is still 1997 and Armando hasn't actually blown the ALCS. Why can I not wake up and make this all just go away???!!!!!!:cussing::angryfire:

Also, though most teams' scouts have shown up regularly for games, Mejia notes that some teams -- like the Chicago White Sox and the Baltimore Orioles -- still have not had a regular presence at games.

Wow...a four page thread hung on this slender reed of second-hand opinion.

Is it possible that this means the Orioles DR organization is a mess? Yes. Is it possible that this means nothing? Yes.

The only conclusion I can draw from that qoute is it's made one hell of a four-page-long mirror...reflecting everyone's prejudices with crystal clarity.

(Now Tony's post worries me greatly. As usual, his information carries much more weight with me than ESPN hearsay.)

Archived