O's sign Russ Ortiz

bigbird

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Or maybe the dea;s for Roddy Lopez?????

Anyway, props to bigibird for the inside scoop!

I dont worry about the stat guys going nuts on this deal. Could those guys have predicted Small to go 10-0 last year? Or Chacon to pitch so well?

Or even further while keeping it with the Yanks, could they have predicted Wang to pitch so well based on minor league stats?

Here is a guy that knows how to win and you never know

I don't mind this signing, and I don't mind if he takes Loewen's spot -- I think he's best served getting some more work done in the minors.

But Penn is coming back soon, hopefully to the big leagues for good, and I wouldn't want Ortiz taking Penn's time in the rotation.

Duquette said the Orioles told Ortiz he would start for them right away. But he said it wasn't clear if the veteran would displace struggling rookie Adam Loewen from the rotation.

Makes me wonder if there is a deal in place for Lopez that couldn't be made without a 5th starter to take his place.

Makes me wonder if there is a deal in place for Lopez that couldn't be made without a 5th starter to take his place.

Good thought. I like to believe that the FO is thinking a few steps ahead but given past history...

Sorry to hear the the Rockies deal is dead but I don't mind Ortiz (soft spot from fantasy a few years ago!).

I'm guessing that Loewen goes down for now and that hopefully when Penn comes back that Williams will be sent packing.

Penn would replace a starter, not Williams. I think they should really look to ship Rodrigo while he's going good. Of course that w/leave Loewen and Ortiz in the rotation together, and it w/b disasterous if they continue to pitch badly.

Penn would replace a starter, not Williams. I think they should really look to ship Rodrigo while he's going good. Of course that w/leave Loewen and Ortiz in the rotation together, and it w/b disasterous if they continue to pitch badly.

Makes sense...although it would be nice to have Penn to pitch innings 5-8 after Lowen inevitably had to be pulled in the 4th after 100 pitches!

Duquette said the Orioles told Ortiz he would start for them right away. But he said it wasn't clear if the veteran would displace struggling rookie Adam Loewen from the rotation.

The Washington Post says that Ortiz hasn't pitched in a while and quotes Duquette as saying. "A lot depends on what shape he is in."

So the two sources are out of sync quoting the same guy. Who knows where and when Ortiz will pitch.

This just became another 20 page thread...

Could the production out of Ortiz be worse than Lopez? They are basically a wash but in the minds of other teams Lopez has much more trade value. I hope this is the end for Rodrigo as long as he gets turned around for a LF.

To be announced soon.....

I can't believe how true your source is, cause it was announced by the Sun...you beat them to it though. Here's to you making your own information site.

Anyway, signing Ortiz probably means Loewen's audition is over and that we might trade one of our current starters, probably Lopez.

Why would we sign him and not include an option year????

I don't think we know that they didn't. We don't know what kind of agreement they have. For all we know, they did reach a deal, or at least an understanding, about what options the O's might have if Leo can help him revive his career.

Man, I hate when you post now...

I have no idea if this is "just BB talking", or if this is "BB with a little birdy in his ear talking"... :002_sbiggrin:

I've asked if there's any way to tell the difference between "BB's personal opinion" vs. "BB passing news along". That seems like an important difference to me (not because of BB in particular, it would be an important difference with anybody). But nobody seems to have an answer...

Yea, that is pretty dumb.

But, all in all, this is another cheap, low risk, high reward move from the Orioles and these are the types of moves we should be making.

May not be as dumb as you think if they only want Ortiz for the rest of the season, but not for next year. Going back a few days when it was said the O's wanted to make some trades but didn't want to give the impression they were giving up on the season. Sign Ortiz for the rotation, trade RLo for some kind of bat...doesn't give the appearance they are giving up this year.

May not be as dumb as you think if they only want Ortiz for the rest of the season, but not for next year. Going back a few days when it was said the O's wanted to make some trades but didn't want to give the impression they were giving up on the season. Sign Ortiz for the rotation, trade RLo for some kind of bat...doesn't give the appearance they are giving up this year.

The thing is, if you give him the option, you could trade him the offseason. Without it, he is just someone you are using to ride out the year.

If Mazzone fixes him, we will not reap any long term benefits from it unless he does it immediately and we can deal him July 31.

Archived