Dennis Sarfate DFA

NCSUFreak2006

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I guess David Hernandez replaces Sarfate as the flame-throwing reliever with a straight fastball and not much else.

That would be true except for the fact that David does have some movement on his fastball and his slider can be very good at times. Other than that, spot on assessment. :we really need a sarcasm emoticon:

I usually try to keep most of my more outlandish ideas to myself but this one I'm going to throw out there and see how long it takes to get laughed into oblivion. Or is that Bolivian? I gotta call up Iron Mike and ask for a clarification.... Here goes:

Is there any chance that Sarfate was designated because:

a) he's clearly a spare part that's expendable; and...

b) because he's a hard thrower someone might be willing to take a shot on him in exchange for some lower level prospect that might better fit an organizational need; and if not...

c) if he went unclaimed he could be outrighted to Norfolk and kept as "organizational depth".

So just how whacked out is that idea?

Count me in as someone who's not pleased with this move. I know we should trust management to make the right decision, but I really feel like Tatum and Gambino were better options to DFA. Sarfate was bouncing back in the Mexican league, and he deserved a chance to carry that over in to spring training.

If I recall correctly, Meredith still has an option remaining. I like Cla and hope he stays in the organization, but he could have started the year in the minors. Then, he, Lebron or Perrault could've been recalled to replace Sarfate if he struggled to start the season.

That would be true except for the fact that David does have some movement on his fastball and his slider can be very good at times. Other than that, spot on assessment. :we really need a sarcasm emoticon:

Tony, I thought I saw quite a few knee-buckling curve balls from Sarfate, when he could get them over the plate. And to me, the fact that his fastball was somewhat straight wasn't really his problem. After all, he allowed fewer hits than IP and his HR rate was respectable. In 2008, his problem was that he walked so many guys and got himself into a lot of unfavorable counts. Then in 2009 his velocity wasn't there. But if his velocity is back near 2008 levels, I'd want to give him a shot to see if he could harness his stuff a little better. He's shown he can miss bats if he can throw strikes.

Didn't his father post on here from time to time? I wonder if he can chime in and give us some details. We wish him the best, for sure, but I think it was clear his time with the Orioles was over.

I think he posted yesterday or today, saying he'd be surprised if Dennis was outright released, but if he was traded, so be it. He goes by the handle BBdad.

Archived