Clearest Indication Yet That Bedard Is a Goner

Frobby

I don't know how anybody can interpret Bedard's comments and suggest he'd sign an extension with the Orioles. Couple this interview with the insider information that Bedard has been screwed around previously in negotiations with the Orioles and he is unhappy about it, and other inside information that suggests he is not happy here, the handwriting seems to be on the wall. Bedard will not be an Oriole after 2009.

Bedard could have easily said something like, "I'll listen to any offers the Orioles make, but I am comfortable going the free agent route if things don't work out." What he said was very direct, he wants "to see what team wants me".

The Orioles need to trade Bedard for the best offer this offseason. There's too much risk of declining performance next spring, or a season ending injury. After the trading deadline next year, Bedard becomes just a rental player. Bedard's value is at its highest this offseason.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree completely Dave. I love watching Bedard pitch for the Orioles, but we need a lot of young talent and a complete change in the makeup of this team. If we can get a package similiar to the one the Rangers got for Tex, the Orioles will have to think long and hard about moving him this winter.

I'd be disappointed if that's all the O's would get for Bedard. Granted, Texas got the Braves' 3 highest rated prospects, but Salty was the only impressive one of them, imo. And frankly, Salty's overrated - he's a very good hitter, but an ordinary catcher. Elvis is a shot in the dark - he might not be any better hitter than Hernandez of the O's (only because the Braves had too many SS's). And the pitcher's upside is a #3 starter - he's got average stuff.

Look, suppose he does get hurt next year? Then what do you have? Not to many strike out pitchers with his frame.

Yea, you're right. Bedard is listed as 6' 1", 180. Here's the pathetic list of strikeout leaders from pitchers between 6' and 6' 2" and 170-200 lbs:

HEIGHT BETWEEN 71 AND 73WEIGHT BETWEEN 170 AND 200STRIKEOUTS                      SO     1    Tom Seaver                 3640   2    Don Sutton                 3574   3    Walter Johnson             3509   4    Phil Niekro                3342   5    Greg Maddux                3169   6    Bob Gibson                 3117   7    Mickey Lolich              2832   8    David Cone                 2668   9    Warren Spahn               2583   10   Bob Feller                 2581   11   Christy Mathewson          2502   12   Tom Glavine                2481   13   Luis Tiant                 2416   14   Robin Roberts              2357   15   Early Wynn                 2334   16   Rube Waddell               2316   17   Juan Marichal              2303   18   Eddie Plank                2246   19   Grover C Alexander         2198   20   Vida Blue                  2175   

:rolleyes:

Yea, you're right. Bedard is listed as 6' 1", 180. Here's the pathetic list of strikeout leaders from pitchers between 6' and 6' 2" and 170-200 lbs:
HEIGHT BETWEEN 71 AND 73WEIGHT BETWEEN 170 AND 200STRIKEOUTS                      SO     1    Tom Seaver                 3640   2    Don Sutton                 3574   3    Walter Johnson             3509   4    Phil Niekro                3342   5    Greg Maddux                3169   6    Bob Gibson                 3117   7    Mickey Lolich              2832   8    David Cone                 2668   9    Warren Spahn               2583   10   Bob Feller                 2581   11   Christy Mathewson          2502   12   Tom Glavine                2481   13   Luis Tiant                 2416   14   Robin Roberts              2357   15   Early Wynn                 2334   16   Rube Waddell               2316   17   Juan Marichal              2303   18   Eddie Plank                2246   19   Grover C Alexander         2198   20   Vida Blue                  2175   

:rolleyes:

Throw out any name on here prior to 1980. The average size of ball players has greatly increased over the last 30 years or so. How many 6'6'', 220 pound pitchers were there in the 40's and 50's?

Could Bedard's value be higher at next year's deadline or even after next season? Yes.

Is it that significant to outweight the risk of Bedard injuring himself next season. Suppose Bedard blows his arm out next April. Suppose he pulls his oblique on July 27, 4 days before the trade deadline. Are these scenarios long shots? Maybe, but I like the sure thing in this case. His value is sky high right now, IMO.

How many pitcher in MLB would you rate ahead of Bedard right now? How many would you rate below? Threre is very little room for him to move up, but pleanty for him to move down. My bet is his value in July will be about the same as it is right now, the only difference is he has a much higher risk of injury starting in February than he does between now and then.

His quote doesn't say he WILL leave. But, it certainly says he's not looking to an extension. In which case, I think he has to be dealt. Then, we can enter in the bidding to sign him in free agency. But, with the state of this franchise, they simply can NOT afford to lose him with no return. I'd look into dealing him this offseason. IMO, the more time left on his contract, the more value we can get back. And, the sooner we can assemble some pieces for the future, the sooner we can start trying to shape a team.

Maybe you're weighing too much into this interview.

Maybe its standard rhetoric for Bedard right now as a way to leverage his negotiating position.

Maybe Bedard just wants to get the interview over with and really isn't calcultaing his words or thoughts.

Maybe "year-by-year" is Bedard saying negotiating an extension is possible in any of those years.

Maybe Bedard wants out.

Whatever the case, let's hope McPhail, being the supposed new sheriff in town, makes this situation right for the O's.

Remember, McPhail wasn't here with Bedard until mid-summer. If Bedard has ill-will towards the O's maybe McPhail, being an outsider, can medn this.

Its too early to draw any conclusions and lots can happen between now and ST.

Throw out any name on here prior to 1980. The average size of ball players has greatly increased over the last 30 years or so. How many 6'6'', 220 pound pitchers were there in the 40's and 50's?

Four.

Same list, 1980-present:

HEIGHT BETWEEN 71 AND 73WEIGHT BETWEEN 170 AND 200STRIKEOUTS                      SO     1    Greg Maddux                3169   2    David Cone                 2668   3    Tom Glavine                2481   4    Fernando Valenzuela        2074   5    Jamie Moyer                1992   6    Kenny Rogers               1850   7    Jeff Fassero               1643   8    Dave Stieb                 1617   9    Jose Rijo                  1606   10   Doug Drabek                1594   11   Jimmy Key                  1538   12   Kevin Tapani               1482   13   Bartolo Colon              1466   14   Floyd Bannister            1402   15   Woody Williams             1379   16   Pete Harnisch              1368   17   Mario Soto                 1360   T18  Wilson Alvarez             1330   T18  Mike Boddicker             1330   20   Mark Gardner               1256   

The problem I have is that the person who made the comment has never had any interaction with Bedard to know if he is or is not a “prima donna” – that’s what I take offense to. People on here (and in all walks of life, admittedly) are real quick to place labels on people based on little more than perception (which is typically the result of comments from sports writers). This person is also well know for taking cheap shots and making assumptions about people he/she has never met.

As for what makes me so sure he isn’t a prima donna. I don’t know for sure that he is or isn’t one – but unlike some, I go to great pains to avoid passing such judgment on people I’ve never met.

I'm with you 100% here. It is very, very dangerous to judge someone based on a few quotes in the newspaper or based on facial expressions you see on TV during a game.

And in my experience, most people aren't 100% good or bad. Haven't we all had the experience of having two good friends, who for whatever reason don't like each other? Or a friend we really like who, for some reason, is disliked by a lot of other people?

So now take 25 men, in a difficult situation (i.e. a team that has been losing a lot, and in a lot of frustrating ways), keep them together for 7 months straight, and make them answer questions immediately after their failures. Have some reporter write down what they say, maybe inaccurately, maybe out of context, or maybe just not conveying the tone that went with the words. And that is going to be your basis to judge whether these are good or bad people? Like I said, it's very dangerous.

I don't think I read too much into his comments. "We'll see which team wants me", to me, sounds like someone who does NOT feel wanted in Baltimore. It sounds like someone who's eager to go to the highest bidder, and the only way to find the highest bidder is through free agency.

And if he hits FA, how many people actually think Bedard will be an Oriole? Show of hands? He'll hit the famed Angelos Catch-22: If he declines at all in the next two years, we will not extend him, because "2007 was a fluke"; if he holds steady or even improves over the next two years, he will become too expensive - after all, EVERYONE knows no pitcher is worth $15M per year! :rolleyes:

The only way he'll stay an Oriole at that point is if he REALLY loves Baltimore and will take a discount to stay here. And where in that quote does he indicate that to be the case? Nowhere.

I do think we should explore an extension this offseason, and I think there's an OK chance that he signs, and that'd be great. As my profile says, he's my favorite Oriole, maybe even of all-time.

But I care more about the team than the players. If he isn't trying to sign this offseason, then sell high. And 1970, I disagree that his value can get THAT MUCH higher than it is now. It could increase, but it's about as close to its peak as it will ever be - factoring in price, age, years until FA, achievement, etc.

Weither you want to give Bedard the benifit of the doubt and call him shy, aloof, nervous or something like that or just a little more strong and call him a prima donna is all the same thing. The guy is a little bit strange around people.

I think that personality trait favors trading him. A club house needs more characters to bring life. Happier guys who laugh and break the ice.

Remember when Miggi actually cared? He was great. Chattered all the time. Wasnt until Palmerio and the great B-12 wars that he grew sullen and forgot how to play tough defence. (actually I have seen Tejada play very hard defence the last two weeks)

Millar is worth more than his stats because he actually is fun to be around. You can see he is a cheerful guy.

The Orioles made an attempt to sign Bedard to a long-term extension last year, but it went nowhere. According to team sources, they offered Bedard a four-year deal at a little less than $5 million per season. Bedard and his agent, Mark Pieper, predictably said no thanks.

One team source said the club wanted to see whether Bedard, who had Tommy John surgery earlier in his career, could stay healthy over the course of another full season before they made a more lucrative offer. Ultimately, the Orioles avoided arbitration with the pitcher, agreeing to a $3.4 million deal after both sides entered arbitration figures that were $1.3 million apart.

Bedard declined to comment on past negotiations with the club, including whether he felt slighted by the contract offer. Asked what his reaction would be if he is approached this offseason with a more lucrative deal, Bedard said, "If it makes sense ... we'll have to have talks and see what happens."

But essentially, the ball is in the Orioles' court.

"There is no reason to make a statement that he wouldn't consider a multi-year deal. That's just silly," Pieper said. "But as a general statement, it's more difficult to sign players to multi-year deals the closer that they get to free agency."

Bedard said he enjoys being an Oriole. "I like it here," he said. "Right now, this is the most fun and best team that I've played on. Everyone gets along. Even when we lose, we still have fun."

Bedard said several factors will determine whether he signs long term, including the success of the team. He is well aware that most of the team's nucleus is signed only through the 2009 season, when he's eligible for free agency.

"It's never fun playing for a losing team," he said.

Source - The Sun, Aug 7,2007

Bedard needs to be traded. There is no way the Orioles can compete with the likes of Boston or another team when it comes to an open market on Bedard. It's pretty clear he won't sign an extension (its been said here by insiders, and now by himself). You gotta trade him this offseason while his value is at its highest. Wait until the deadline or next season and you risk him getting injured (a high possibility) or coming back down from the 2007 season.

Trade him ASAP.

Weither you want to give Bedard the benifit of the doubt and call him shy, aloof, nervous or something like that or just a little more strong and call him a prima donna is all the same thing. The guy is a little bit strange around people.

I think that personality trait favors trading him. A club house needs more characters to bring life. Happier guys who laugh and break the ice.

Remember when Miggi actually cared? He was great. Chattered all the time. Wasnt until Palmerio and the great B-12 wars that he grew sullen and forgot how to play tough defence. (actually I have seen Tejada play very hard defence the last two weeks)

Millar is worth more than his stats because he actually is fun to be around. You can see he is a cheerful guy.

I think winning teams have all kinds of personalities.

But they all have one thing in common: very good players.

Archived