Clearest Indication Yet That Bedard Is a Goner

Frobby

Found a nice interview of Erik Bedard from the Edmonton Sun. Buried in the Q & A is the following:
SUN MEDIA: You're on a one-year contract, worth $3.4 million and bonuses, and you've got two more years before you can file for unrestricted free agency. Would you like a long-term deal now, or are you willing to wait?

BEDARD: I'm comfortable going year by year ... then we'll see what team wants me.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/Sports/OtherSports/2007/09/18/4505308-sun.html

Uh oh. :(

I'm wondering what the "..." is. Is it Bedard pausing during the interview and the writer reflecting that, or was there something else he said and the writer left out that part?

Also, looking at the other side of the discussion; maybe it's Bedard, possibly at the recommendation of his agent, throwing out these types of quotes to use in negotiations with MacPhail and Co.?

Not saying that is what I think he's doing, it's not like any one of us knows whats going on in his head, but it's at least a possibility.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This answer was a little disconcerting in the interview.

I don't see anything wrong or disconcerting with his answer. I'm pretty sure lots of players like playing in cities other than their team.

And he's not lying, as Fenway is an awesome park and it must be awesome to play there...all that history! The city it self was a good time as well, at least the time I've spent there.

Bedard can't win. He gets chastised for rarely talking to the media and for once he actually opens up to the press and people starting reading too much into it.

Whether or not we ever find out publicly if Bedard is willing to sign an extension, the Orioles brass can easily find out for certain where his intentions lie. If he's open to an extension, give him one, a huge one. If he's not, you have to trade him. Its a very simple equation.

Whether or not we ever find out publicly if Bedard is willing to sign an extension, the Orioles brass can easily find out for certain where his intentions lie. If he's open to an extension, give him one, a huge one. If he's not, you have to trade him. Its a very simple equation.

Exactly.

The worst thing we could do is not sign him long-term, AND refuse to listen to trade offers.

In other words, that's exactly what we'll probably do.

Archived