Clearest Indication Yet That Bedard Is a Goner

Frobby

Found a nice interview of Erik Bedard from the Edmonton Sun. Buried in the Q & A is the following:

SUN MEDIA: You're on a one-year contract, worth $3.4 million and bonuses, and you've got two more years before you can file for unrestricted free agency. Would you like a long-term deal now, or are you willing to wait?

BEDARD: I'm comfortable going year by year ... then we'll see what team wants me.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/Sports/OtherSports/2007/09/18/4505308-sun.html

Uh oh. :(

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What would you have said if you were him after such a terrible year? The O's have to be better in 2008 if they want to keep him. That is McPhail's challenge for Bedard and Roberts.

MacPhail needs to be worried about building this organization for the long haul. Not getting better for '08.

If McPhail puts a good enough team on the field that it makes Roberts and Bedard want to stay and sign extensions, then he is improving for the future.

But how do you acquire good talent without trading value like Bedard and Roberts and don't give me the fantasy something for nothing trades. We're talking about the real world here.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• I don't know if he's "done" but I think the valleys are too long and the peaks aren't enough.  I agree he's a 4th outfielder, whether or not he's accepting of that role remains to be seen.   All I know is that I'd rather see Cowser getting the majority of starts in LF moving forward when Hays comes back.
    • Last year, Kimbrel gave up 5 total runs in 3 of his first 4 outings.  In the beginning of May (ironically) he gave up 6 runs in 1 IP spanning 2 outings. Over his next 30 appearances, he gave up 7 runs..good for a 2.1 ERA. Through the rest of August, he gave up 5 runs in 4 appearances. He then gave up 2 runs in the month of Sept. 2022 was similar. He just goes through some stretches of not being good and way longer stretches of being very good.
    • Wow you remembered!  How did you remember the exact mistake?  I just remember being gobsmacked and horrified and embarrassed for her at the time.  It being a special hyped all women telecast.  
    • Newman didn't know how far the runners could advance on a ground rule double. She thought the runner on 1B could score on one.
    • I don't think that the inverse is true. The issue for the hitters is the rapid increase of velo and the ability of the pitchers to command their stuff on the corners (even for your average middle reliever).  I saw Holliday for one, "eliminating" certain back door breaking balls when he arrived in the Show. Now while he had probably been able to take such an approach because most of the Minor League pitchers that he saw could not execute that pitch with any type of consistency. The average MLB pitcher can command that pitch on the corners (even in hitter's counts). They can back door you 2-0 Then front door you 2-1. Then gas you up in the zone when you are looking breaking ball with 95+ when it's 2-2.  And that is just the average middle reliever. IMO Major League pitching is more skilled than it's ever been. And what the article was pointing out is that you just don't see that kind of quality with any consistency in the Minors. Because with the rash of injuries (increased probability of almost all pitchers suffering arm injuries) if guys can execute at a high level, they are quickly brought to the Bigs. The way we slow play our position player prospects, you really can't afford to do that with pitchers because they will most likely be injured if you wait too long to call them up. The good pitchers are mostly all in the Majors.
    • I didn't listen to all of the game because I often mute it, but I did catch this.  When Kjerstad was pinch hitting they didn't once mention that a new pitcher was coming in.  But later when they saw something in the dugout Ben said something like "Suarez night.. probably done".  Uhm, yes, definitely done since he was pinch hit for haha.  
    • When Hays returns, it will be interesting to see who Hyde puts in LF at OPACY when he and Cowser both play.
  • Popular Contributors

• Popular Now