Another good game for Arrieta

Frobby

What value is in an extra 2 months of development time? Serious question, because dumping Millwood for less than his value doesn't sound too smart to me. He's one piece who might net us a legit answer at SS or 1B in the future. Alt, he might net us 2 draft picks after this year when he declines arb and signs with someone else.

I want Arrieta up too, but letting him work some things out until a spot opens up seems prudent, if frustrating.

I guess I didn't explain my take on Millwood last night when I wrote that. I agree, don't just dump him for below market value, but this is an entirely lost season, there really is no sense in having him hold down a rotation spot as long as another premium prospect like JA is ready. I guess we need to be shopping Millwood, but if you shop to heavily, you lose value with him. So, I can see AM will certainly wait until the time is right when he can get max value for Millwood.

Lets just go with a 6 man rotation...

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Last I saw, Millwood is projected as a Type B, with about five or six names ahead of him before he cracks Type A status. This means that he will have to pitch even better than he has been for the past 1.4 seasons, and/or several of the good pitchers ahead of him will have to slip significantly if he's going to bring back those two draft picks. It could happen, but the odds are against him, and I wouldn't factor it too heavily into the calculations.

Curious...when is the last time you checked? Does his poor record with the O's count? I ask because I know the Type A/B determination is based on some pretty empty stats, and I'm guessing W/L has a lot to do with it for pitchers. So even though a guy like Millwood is performing like a Type A (IMO), I can see how he wouldn't be one.

I like the fact that Arrieta is getting a lot of seasoning at AAA. Hopefully, he will be better prepared once he reaches Baltimore. Today is an interesting start for Arrieta in that he will be facing Rochester in back to back starts.

If Strasburg is still in AAA, I have no problem with Jake still being there.

What does one have to do with the other? Strawsburg is down there only because of service time/super 2. Frankly, this isn't at all a consideration in Arrieta's situation. Having said that, I'm okay with keeping him down for now. His control issues have me being skeptical that he'll be a real piece of our future rotation. At the same time, when he comes up he needs a fair crack at the rotation before he ends up in his likely position of a high impact back end BP guy.

I still hold some hope for him as being a successful starter. His control numbers aren't too different than A.J. Burnett. Someone who I've always looked at as bein effectively wild due to having electric stuff. What I don't know yet is if Arrieta knows how to pitch.

What does one have to do with the other? Strawsburg is down there only because of service time/super 2. Frankly, this isn't at all a consideration in Arrieta's situation. Having said that, I'm okay with keeping him down for now. His control issues have me being skeptical that he'll be a real piece of our future rotation. At the same time, when he comes up he needs a fair crack at the rotation before he ends up in his likely position of a high impact back end BP guy.

I still hold some hope for him as being a successful starter. His control numbers aren't too different than A.J. Burnett. Someone who I've always looked at as bein effectively wild due to having electric stuff. What I don't know yet is if Arrieta knows how to pitch.

Jake knows how to pitch, his problem is falling in love with the K, but I think he has begun to overcome that considering his ability this year to go deeper into the games. He apparently has better FB command than either DH or Tillman and a very good slider to go along with a pretty decent changeup. His BB rate will go down from where it right now is and personally I think he has what it takes to be a mid rotation arm with the ability on some nights to be dominant....

Very nice outing. That's 66 IP in his last 10 starts. In that stretch he's failed to go 6 IP only once, and he has gone 7+ in 6 of the 10 outings, including 4 of the last 5. To me, he is ready for the majors now for sure. It's just a matter of finding an opening for him.

Very nice outing. That's 66 IP in his last 10 starts. In that stretch he's failed to go 6 IP only once, and he has gone 7+ in 6 of the 10 outings, including 4 of the last 5. To me, he is ready for the majors now for sure. It's just a matter of finding an opening for him.

Send Bergesen down or to the pen, it's simple.

Archived