So who do we take with our 2nd pick (3 round 3rd pick

Since we don't have a second round pick because of the Mike Gonzales sigining our second pick will be the 3rd pick of the 3 round. Who would you like to see the O's target then?

My choice would be a college middle infielder since we lack depth there. I know we pick Givens last year, but someone like Josh Rutledge SS from Alabama looks good to me. Good player from a good conference looks interesting. Also someone like Tony Wolters a HS SS from CA looks good too. I just think we need some good young players in the system who project at SS/2B.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Since we don't have a second round pick because of the Mike Gonzales sigining our second pick will be the 3rd pick of the 3 round. Who would you like to see the O's target then?

My choice would be a college middle infielder since we lack depth there. I know we pick Givens last year, but someone like Josh Rutledge SS from Alabama looks good to me. Good player from a good conference looks interesting. Also someone like Tony Wolters a HS SS from CA looks good too. I just think we need some good young players in the system who project at SS/2B.

I like Matt Lipka or Josh Rutledge here. Andrelton Simmons not a bad target, either:

http://camdendepot.blogspot.com/2010/06/2010-orioles-shadow-draft-targets-at-33.html

Guys I'd love to see us pick up at 3:3...

Griffin Murphy, LHP, Redland East Valley HS (CA)

Garin Cecchini, IF, Barbe HS (LA)

Tony Wolters, SS, Rancho Buena Vista HS (CA)

Kyle Blair, RHP, San Diego

It's doubtful that Murphy drops that far, though possible. Blair could be a steal... somewhat reminiscent of Jake Arrieta's tumble.

Lipka is another solid choice.

This is a list of guys i have been researching. Some of the names should be around in the 3rd.

Matt Lipka-SS-HS (TX)

Christian Yelich, 1B, Westlake HS (CA)

Derek Dietrich, SS, Georgia Tech

DeAndre Smelter, RHP, Tattnall Square Academy (GA) (Big Fan)

Scott Frazier, RHP, Upland HS (CA)

Marcus Littlewood, SS, Pineview HS (UT) (BIG FAN of this kid)(Doubt he lasts)

Hunter Morris, 1B, Auburn

Ty Linton, OF, Charlotte Christian HS (NC)

Rob Segedin, 3B, Tulane

Zach Alvord, SS, South Forsyth HS (GA)

Rick Hague, SS, Rice

Niko Goodrum, SS, Fayette County HS (GA)

A.J. Vanegas, RHP, Redwood Christian School (CA) (Big Fan)

Kyle Blair, RHP, San Diego (would be a steal)

Drew Cisco, RHP, Wando HS (SC)

Andrelton Simmons-SS/RHP-West. Okla St JC (Fantastic glove)

Devin Lohman-SS-Long Beach St

Mel Rojas Jr-OF-Wabash Valley JC (Ill) (Big Fan)

Kellen Sweeney-SS-HS (Iowa)

Sam Dyson-RHP-South Carolina

This is a list of guys i have been researching. Some of the names should be around in the 3rd.

Matt Lipka-SS-HS (TX)

Christian Yelich, 1B, Westlake HS (CA)

Derek Dietrich, SS, Georgia Tech

DeAndre Smelter, RHP, Tattnall Square Academy (GA) (Big Fan)

Scott Frazier, RHP, Upland HS (CA)

Marcus Littlewood, SS, Pineview HS (UT) (BIG FAN of this kid)(Doubt he lasts)

Hunter Morris, 1B, Auburn

Ty Linton, OF, Charlotte Christian HS (NC)

Rob Segedin, 3B, Tulane

Zach Alvord, SS, South Forsyth HS (GA)

Rick Hague, SS, Rice

Niko Goodrum, SS, Fayette County HS (GA)

A.J. Vanegas, RHP, Redwood Christian School (CA) (Big Fan)

Kyle Blair, RHP, San Diego (would be a steal)

Drew Cisco, RHP, Wando HS (SC)

Andrelton Simmons-SS/RHP-West. Okla St JC (Fantastic glove)

Devin Lohman-SS-Long Beach St

Mel Rojas Jr-OF-Wabash Valley JC (Ill) (Big Fan)

Kellen Sweeney-SS-HS (Iowa)

Sam Dyson-RHP-South Carolina

If Smelter is around in the 3rd, its because of signability. He was a 1st rounder for me pre-season but haven't heard much since then. I like Zach Lee, Vincent Velasquez, Taijuan Walker, Peter Tago, Aaron Sanchez. Not sure if everyone is available at 3:3

Dietrich and Morris are two very good college players who don't seem to have a great fit in the field in the pro's. Both are real good hitters which we are lacking. I still like Rutlege, he could be everything that Milcat was suppossed to be.

Peter Tago, Aaron Sanchez, and Zach Lee were also on my list. From what I read Tago is shooting up some draft boards. If he were there I would be all over him. I thought I read that Sanchez as well is rising. I have not gotten a chance to check out Zach Lee. A couple more names I really like.

Victor Sanchez 3B San Diego 12 HR's a Frosh. Lots of Raw power.

Reggie Golden OF Wetumpka HS (AL) very raw but high upside

Dietrich and Morris are two very good college players who don't seem to have a great fit in the field in the pro's. Both are real good hitters which we are lacking. I still like Rutlege, he could be everything that Milcat was suppossed to be.

How does Rutledge profile v. Miclat? I still haven't given up on Miclat as he has rebounded somewhat this season after the horrible season at Delmarva.

Peter Tago, Aaron Sanchez, and Zach Lee were also on my list. From what I read Tago is shooting up some draft boards. If he were there I would be all over him. I thought I read that Sanchez as well is rising. I have not gotten a chance to check out Zach Lee. A couple more names I really like.

Victor Sanchez 3B San Diego 12 HR's a Frosh. Lots of Raw power.

Reggie Golden OF Wetumpka HS (AL) very raw but high upside

I can't see Sanchez getting draft interest outside of maybe a 21-50 pick. He has looked awful this year, and I say that as someone who had very high hopes even into April. I assume he'll be a summer follow but in all likelihood will be back at USD next year.

How does Rick Hague (Junior SS, Rice) profile to the bigs? Does his glove and/or bat translate well? He plays for a good team against good competition.

I've read that he doesn't have the glove to stick at SS but I'll deferr to those that know a little more about him.

Hague has really not played well this season. Does anyone know anything about Zach Alvord, SS, South Forsyth HS (GA) or Niko Goodrum, SS, Fayette County HS (GA)? I have'nt been able to find alot of info on them. But i have read both will probably move off SS. I would love to find a SS prospect that can stay at SS and has some power.

Andrelton Simmons-SS/RHP-West. Okla St JC is a good looking prospect. What HS SS prospects do the draft gurus around here like? Im a big fan of Marcus Littlewood but i dont see him staying at SS.

Hague has really not played well this season. Does anyone know anything about Zach Alvord, SS, South Forsyth HS (GA) or Niko Goodrum, SS, Fayette County HS (GA)? I have'nt been able to find alot of info on them. But i have read both will probably move off SS. I would love to find a SS prospect that can stay at SS and has some power.

Andrelton Simmons-SS/RHP-West. Okla St JC is a good looking prospect. What HS SS prospects do the draft gurus around here like? Im a big fan of Marcus Littlewood but i dont see him staying at SS.

I think Littlewood, Simmons, Lipka have good shots to stick at short. Alvord I see as a power-hitting second baseman when all is said and done (hands for up-the-middle, range shy for short and plenty of arm for third).Goodrum looks like an outfielder to me. Don't trust Simmons's bat, but the glove should definitely have value -- plus he has the arm for a pitching safety net.

EDIT - Forgot to note some think Wolters can stick at short (I think he is second base bound but will be solid there). Cito Culver has athletic actions and plus to plus-plus arm strength -- one of the better defensive prepsters in the class. We'll see about the bat (not a third rounder for me).

I think Littlewood, Simmons, Lipka have good shots to stick at short. Alvord I see as a power-hitting second baseman when all is said and done (hands for up-the-middle, range shy for short and plenty of arm for third).Goodrum looks like an outfielder to me. Don't trust Simmons's bat, but the glove should definitely have value -- plus he has the arm for a pitching safety net.

EDIT - Forgot to note some think Wolters can stick at short (I think he is second base bound but will be solid there). Cito Culver has athletic actions and plus to plus-plus arm strength -- one of the better defensive prepsters in the class. We'll see about the bat (not a third rounder for me).

Good stuff. Im a big big fan of Littlewood and would be exstatic if he was the pick. I also like Wolters alot as well. From everything i have read Simmons is touching 97 on the mound and was ranked as the #3 defensice college player. I guess for if we take a infielder i would go Littlewood, Wolters, or Alvord. Christian Yelich is another kid i really like. He has drawn comps to Mark Grace, John Olerud, and Shawn Green. I doubt he last until the 3rd but man his swing is sweet.

Here are names of guys that could fall BC of injuries, strong commitments, other sports, and just poor play. I hope we take a shot at all of them.

Kyle Blair

Victor Sanchez

Tyrell Jenkins

Zach Lee

Jake Eliopoulos

Bobby Wahl

Garin Cecchini

Archived