BREAKING NEWS- Duquette Resigns

bej6789

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Even though Flanny is just a lapdog, I'm hoping the find a role for him somewhere else where he isn't responsible for personnel moves. Maybe put him in public relations or something.

It wouldn't surprise me though if it becomes The Apprentice: Part Trois.

If Mazzone departs I wouldn't mind seeing him take over as pitching coach.

I'll be very surprised if Flanagan is still with the team in any meaningful position.

Flanny has been an Oriole for most of his playing career, as bullpen coach, pitching coach, TV announcer. Assistant Executive to whoever. I think he see himself as an Oriole. I would not be surprise if he gets some kind of project oriented position for McPhail. Maybe Special Assistant. Is that a meaningful way. I think it is more something to weather the storm until he can work his way into a more responsible position.

Too bad his 90 million dollar roster was a joke. If signing Steve Trachsel out of desperation is your best move when you have a 90 million dollar payroll, then that basically says it all and certainly says everything I need to know about the "makeup" of Duq and Flanny.

I don't disagree with your larger point, but using the Trachsel signing doesn't strenghten your argument.

That was a good move considering the lateness of the hour when Benson was lost for the year. Trachsel earned his money, and brought back two youngsters in trade to boot.

Hardly a "joke" move.

I don't see why the Orioles would need to act like their Mike's personal employment agency. He was given a job he clearly was not qualified for, and look what 90 million got us under his leadership. He should consider the fact that he was allowed to remain with the team until the end of the season a gift, he should have been fired.

I'm a little more positive about Jordan than you, Tony, although I admit to an utter lack of knowledge about the guy. I'd give him a couple of years yet.

Some key guys he's drafted have been held up by injuries as much as by a lack of talent. And that is the management/coaching/medical staff's area of responsibility, not Jordan's. Would you feel different if Reimold, Olson, Snyder and Rowell hadn't gone down with injuries? Reimold and Olson mite be knocking at the door now. Wouldn't things look better then?

As for Stocktill, I agree that he can go.He's been around a long time, and it's very possible that we now have an "old boys network" of buddies hanging around the farm and he won't fire anybody.I know I repeat myself, but people always blame the scouting when the farm system doesn't produce. I think it's the lack of management and coaching. I'd love to see MacPhail bring in a new farm director-carrying a broom.

Hold on Mike, I never said I was down on Jordan. I pointed out some facts and that MacPhail has indicated he wants guys who "know how (he) think(s)". I like Jordan and think he's extremely knowledgeable when it comes to the scouting business as a whole. I personally think he would do well overseeing all scouting, major and minor league, international, and amateur scouting.

As for Stockstill, he's as hard a worker as you'll find out there and he knows his players inside and out. Are the issues in the minors that could be addressed, sure. But I wouldn't put the blame solely on Stockstill. He's done a solid job with what has to work with. Now saying that, could he be on the block of MacPhail wants to really house clean? Sure.

I was just saying that it would not be out of the realm of possibility that MacPhail brought in his own guys.

I don't disagree with your larger point, but using the Trachsel signing doesn't strenghten your argument.

That was a good move considering the lateness of the hour when Benson was lost for the year. Trachsel earned his money, and brought back two youngsters in trade to boot.

Hardly a "joke" move.

I said his 90 million dollar roster was a joke, not the Trachsel signing. The Trachsel signing was a total desperation move. The O's were very, very, very lucky that he performed as well as he did. I said if Trachsel's signing was your best move when you've got a 90 million dollar payroll then that's pretty pathetic. And it is. Flanny and Duquette were failures, plain and simple. Angelos increased the budget for them and they didn't get it done. The injuries to the pitching staff definitely hurt, but the roster they put together was ridiculous given the financial resources at their disposal. I challenge anyone on here to provide anything approaching a convincing argument that they were successful in any meaningful way. The opening day roster was put together based on who was available at given dollar amounts/mediocre players who were still available who they could blow away with ridiculous offers. For example, the O's have had pathetic production at 1B and LF for years and they did basically nothing about it. Instead they signed mediocre or declining players to goofy contracts. These guys deserve to be fired.

I said his 90 million dollar roster was a joke, not the Trachsel signing. The Trachsel signing was a total desperation move. The O's were very, very, very lucky that he performed as well as he did. I said if Trachsel's signing was your best move when you've got a 90 million dollar payroll then that's pretty pathetic. And it is. Flanny and Duquette were failures, plain and simple. Angelos increased the budget for them and they didn't get it done. The injuries to the pitching staff definitely hurt, but the roster they put together was ridiculous given the financial resources at their disposal. I challenge anyone on here to provide anything approaching a convincing argument that they were successful in any meaningful way. The opening day roster was put together based on who was available at given dollar amounts/mediocre players who were still available who they could blow away with ridiculous offers. For example, the O's have had pathetic production at 1B and LF for years and they did basically nothing about it. Instead they signed mediocre or declining players to goofy contracts. These guys deserve to be fired.
The minor league system is better but it is still bad compared to other teams.

Otherwise, they were pretty bad.

I had never heard of him prior to your post, but Fleita looks like he could be a good one. Notice his connection to Latin scouting. You also have to like this quote: "is regarded as having one of the best eyes for talent in baseball."

He's also a former Orioles farmhand and MiLB manager.

You and I are on the same page with this one Ted.

He jumped out to me as well just because of that.

It still boggles my mind how we don't have our hands in that enough...There is no excuse for it.

Signing Guthrie was a far better move. They made some good signings. The problem I had with them was the bad signings they made and not making use of all of the good signings, i.e., if they didnt' sign guys like Huff and Payton, they would have had plenty of at bats for guys like House and Knott.

BChop makes good points.At least when they were being cheap and signing jokes like Jeff Conine, they weren't locking themselves in for 3 years. Now, we have jokes and also have to pay them till 2009.Worst of all worlds.

Traschel was fine for what he was here to do-be a relatively solid innings-eater.I have a lot of respect for him because he accomplished a lot w/his limited and declining ability, and he even gave the Club a nice dividend when he was traded.

Ruzious, they DID make some nice minor league free agent signings. (Hopefully, they'll keep doing that even w/Duquette gone.) But as you said, they didn't give themselves the full benefit of those signings because they were locked into expensive contracts w/veterans who they felt they had to play.Guthrie only got a chance because of injuries; he had no real role when the team came North.

Archived