I thought this deserved its own thread...

NewMarketSean

Tacos? Wait, are the Orioles preparing a WOW offer for Adrian Gonzalez? ;)

(Not intended to be offensive)

"Ricky Bobby, just because you say no offense doesn't mean you can say whatever you want to say."

"Yes it does, that's exactly what it means."

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"Ricky Bobby, just because you say no offense doesn't mean you can say whatever you want to say."

"Yes it does, that's exactly what it means."

Hmm... movie reference... hint of sarcasm... wait, are you saying that it's not what it means? :laughlol:

So wait a second. Tony had taco's, which usually make people go number two, which would lead to a flush. Garrett Atkins is flushing his career down the toilet. That's IT! Tony had tacos for dinner mean MacPhail is getting ready to flush Garrett Atkins from the roster! :clap3:

The contracts are usually agreed to pending a physical. Numerous contacts have benn scotched because someomne flunked a physical. That's why failure to have an MRI makes no sense. Once the contract was agreed to whats's the hurry?

Yes, they often get agreed to prior to the physical. But do they get actually signed before the physical? I agree with your general point about the physicals being a condition. The only way that the story of AM not getting an MRI first makes any sense is if he wanted to ink the guy before he changed his mind. Not that another team would sign him first, but that another team might express interest, which could cause Gonzo to back out of coming here. If the contracts are actually signed before the physical, with the physical being a condition, then no scenario makes any sense. But if the contract doesn't get actually signed until afterward, then my version of paranoia is possible... how likely, I don't know, but possible...

Yes, they often get agreed to prior to the physical. But do they get actually signed before the physical? I agree with your general point about the physicals being a condition. The only way that the story of AM not getting an MRI first makes any sense is if he wanted to ink the guy before he changed his mind. Not that another team would sign him first, but that another team might express interest, which could cause Gonzo to back out of coming here. If the contracts are actually signed before the physical, with the physical being a condition, then no scenario makes any sense. But if the contract doesn't get actually signed until afterward, then my version of paranoia is possible... how likely, I don't know, but possible...
Many teams announce trades/signings pending physicals. Just not the Birds because of PA. I wouldn't think they would make these announcements if there wasn't a signature. According to a Connolly article in the Sun Dec 17 and Roch the same date, the O's "have agreed in principle to signing Gonalez pending a physical". That would suggest he got one. Edit: Found an article stating that the O's announced that Gonzalez passed his physical. So if he passed a physical, why would it not include an MRI? How much longer would that have taken? I recently had a CAT scan and it took an hour.

Many teams announce trades/signings pending physicals. Just not the Birds because of PA. I wouldn't think they would make these announcements if there wasn't a signature. According to a Connolly article in the Sun Dec 17 and Roch the same date, the O's "have agreed in principle to signing Gonalez pending a physical". That would suggest he got one. Edit: Found an article stating that the O's announced that Gonzalez passed his physical. So if he passed a physical, why would it not include an MRI? How much longer would that have taken? I recently had a CAT scan and it took an hour.

The "agreed in principle" part doesn't sound like a signed contract to me... it sounds like a statement of mutual intent to sign one, once the physicals are done...

Just to keep Pappas's favorite thread going...this is from the Amateur Draft forum (context = Tony's draft report)...

I was not doing an expose on Joe Jordan and his drafts. I asked him about his current draft.

Unfortunately, bigger and more pressing issues have come up and I'm working on something, much, much bigger than this past draft. I still hope to get something out even if it's abbreviated.

Tony doesn't offer such comments without backing them up... it's about to get even more interesting.
I would like to know how you take a physical, but skip the MRI. Why would they do that. If the player is balking at an MRI, isn't that an enormous red flag? Makes no sense to me. Unless the situatioin is being mischaracterized in some way.

Tony doesn't offer such comments without backing them up... it's about to get even more interesting.

I sure hope/wish the O's were about to be sold. It's not out of the question, though I admit the odds seem low.

I would like to know how you take a physical, but skip the MRI. Why would they do that. If the player is balking at an MRI, isn't that an enormous red flag? Makes no sense to me. Unless the situatioin is being mischaracterized in some way.

Seems like there's some misinformation around, to me. Sort of like the Hobgood 310 rumor that seems not only technically VERY wrong, but actually indicating the exact opposite of what he's done with his weight since the end of last season.

I'm not sure how credible any of this stuff is right now.

Archived