Edwin Encarnacion designated for assignment by the Blue Jays.....

nate22

We need the power, even if its gonna cost us more money than it should to acquire someone so mediocre aside from the pop.

Unless you're telling me that we'd spend the $2.75M or so Encarnacion is still owed on one or many international FAs or overslot draft picks that we wouldn't otherwise be able to land, I'm spending the money. We're gonna save some cash later in the season by dealing some or all of Millwood, Tejada, Guthrie, Wigginton, and Scott, so we can afford to take on some extra right now.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

what about trading miguel for encarnacion plus a low level prospect?

The Jays still need a third baseman, miggy's salary and that of encarnacion pretty much offset each other. Solves two problems with one move.

My problem is that he immediately becomes a candidate to be on the 2011 Orioles, when he wouldn't be in the top 100 potential acquisitions otherwise.

Could EE not hold things down a bit better than Miggi? I love Miggi, always have, but he just hasn't done much, whereas with EE, there's some chance of increased production here. This all hinges, IMO, upon when it's thought Bell is ready to play in Baltimore. For this season--and perhaps 2011, too, if Bell's not going to make the club out of ST--why the hell not?

What's not clear to me is whether the Jays are planning to release him, or whether they are hoping to pass him through waivers and send him to the minors. If the former, then we could just wait until he goes through waivers, then offer him a major league contract for the league minimum. If the latter, then we'd have to take on his salary if we claim him on waivers. In terms of talent, I'd rather give him at bats than Jake Fox, but Jake Fox is much, much cheaper. Encarnacion at $2.7 million is a white elephant, frankly.

Here's another idea--let's offer a token prospect to the Jays for him if they agree to pay part of his salary. They should be willing to do that--if nobody claims him then they're stuck paying his full salary.

That's apparently their plan.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Baseball/MLB/Toronto/2010/06<br' rel="external nofollow">/22/14474496.html'>http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Baseball/MLB/Toronto/2010/06/22/14474496.html

"This is more of a procedural paperwork move to free up a 40-man spot, where the player gets put on outright waivers and clears," said Anthopoulos.

The key word is "clears." Given Encarnacion's salary ($4.75 million US ) and his modest production numbers (.200 batting average, .298 OBP, nine HR and 22 RBIs and an OPS of .765), it's unlikely he would be claimed by another team.

"That's why we're pretty confident he will clear," said Anthopoulos.

The Jays are not wavering from their hope that Encarnacion will go to Las Vegas and work his way back to Toronto.

"We want to continue to have him in the minor leagues and continue to do what we hope he is going to do, which is play well and get back to Toronto soon."

I have to think if no one else, the White Sox would claim him. I know the Viciedo era has begun, but Williams loves his reclamation projects. Maybe TB (DH). Maybe LAA. That's just the AL.

Isn't EE a bad defensive 3B? That goes against the Twins M.O.

I could see Tejada playing 3B before them before Encarnacion. Hmmmm...

Don't the Twins have this guy...Valencia

Especially if they want a guy that can hit for average but doesn't have a ton of power. Only 4 errors on the year for him. But interesting to see no homers with his past history. I'm inclined to think the Twins won't be giving much up for a 3b because of that.

Archived