Edwin Encarnacion designated for assignment by the Blue Jays.....

nate22

I will just point out that the knock on him, in addition to defense, is that he doesn't hustle. He also has a crappy OBP pretty consistently.

I would pick him up, but only because once again I'd claim pretty much anyone in an effort to get rid of Atkins.

Great!! Lets go claim him. He will fit right in with the rest of the lollygaggers. ;)

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's not clear to me is whether the Jays are planning to release him, or whether they are hoping to pass him through waivers and send him to the minors. If the former, then we could just wait until he goes through waivers, then offer him a major league contract for the league minimum. If the latter, then we'd have to take on his salary if we claim him on waivers. In terms of talent, I'd rather give him at bats than Jake Fox, but Jake Fox is much, much cheaper. Encarnacion at $2.7 million is a white elephant, frankly.

Here's another idea--let's offer a token prospect to the Jays for him if they agree to pay part of his salary. They should be willing to do that--if nobody claims him then they're stuck paying his full salary.

He was talking about adding both Fox AND Encarnacion...which is what I suggested. You'd have to make three roster moves...one when Pie is ready.

Oh, okay. Well, Pie replaces Patterson IMO. Patterson is a dime a dozen guy. No loss if someone wants to claim him.

With the way Izturis is hitting, I'd almost be tempted to put Encarnacion at third and Tejada at SS and make Izturis your backup SS/2B.

Yea, i was just about to say this.

Izzy can come in the late innings for defense.

Plus, with the deadline looming, this may change quickly..Maybe we acquire a SS? Maybe Miggy gets dealt?

But I would still go get the bats and sort everything else out later.

Yea, i was just about to say this.

Izzy can come in the late innings for defense.

Plus, with the deadline looming, this may change quickly..Maybe we acquire a SS? Maybe Miggy gets dealt?

But I would still go get the bats and sort everything else out later.

Agreed. Fox and Encarnacion would definitely add some juice to this lineup. Of course, that's like saying a man in the desert could use a cool glass of water.

Archived