Trent Mummey off to a great start

Frobby

Maybe it has nothing to do with anything, but maybe it was helpful that he was signed quickly and played immediately. So many of these guys don't even get to play their first summer, I wonder if it hampers their development at all.

He's definitely getting a leg up on the guys who don't play this summer. I really wish more of our guys were signed by now. Last year we signed 10 of our top 11 picks and 7 of them got some playing time in. The ones who didn't were Givens, Henry and Berry. So far this year we've signed 1 of our top 10 picks.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He's definitely getting a leg up on the guys who don't play this summer. I really wish more of our guys were signed by now. Last year we signed 10 of our top 11 picks and 7 of them got some playing time in. The ones who didn't were Givens, Henry and Berry. So far this year we've signed 1 of our top 10 picks.

As a fan, I'd love to see an unsigned player league. Obviously that would never work as agents would hate it because a player who didn't perform that well would lose leverage. Teams would hate it due to the injury risk and minimal control they have over potential signees.

I'm suprissed Klein has not signed yet, he is a guy that does not have as much leverage and could really benefit from having some time to adjust to a starting role, I wouldn't expect them to pitch him 7 innings a game. But 4-5 innings would be very helpful for him.

Klein's a red-shirt sophomore, no? Seems he has a good bit of leverage if true.

As a fan, I'd love to see an unsigned player league. Obviously that would never work as agents would hate it because a player who didn't perform that well would lose leverage. Teams would hate it due to the injury risk and minimal control they have over potential signees.

Some players join wood bat leagues to keep in shape and showcase their stuff. Players with no intention to sign even join some college wood bat leagues (Andrew Susac comes to mind from last summer).

I think your idea has merit -- particularly if you set it up as a voluntary workout league that focused on bullpen sessions, workouts, BP, infield/outfield, etc. You could have a NorCal, SoCal, Texas, Florida, Northeast, Midwest and a couple more sprinkled in the Southeast, Midwest, etc. Depending on how many players are reporting, you could have shorter three-inning scrimmages each day. You could also limit it to a "camp/showcase" atmosphere, where it's a set week, or two weeks.

I'd be interested to look at the MLB Rules and see if players are permitted to accept travel expenses, equipment, etc. from a drafting team. I could see it being worth an organizations while to run a "draft camp" for a week, or even just a weekend, where they bring-in drafted players and watch them play. Open up a scrimmage to the fans, too. I think BOS does something like this, but can't remember if it's for all drafted or just the kids that have signed.

Klein's a red-shirt sophomore, no? Seems he has a good bit of leverage if true.

You are correct on all counts (RS is a fact; leverage is my agreeing with your opinion).

I wouldn't be shocked if Klein was considering coming back to be a weekend starter in a rotation with two potential first rounders (Bauer and Cole). Could be a special team -- I'd say the best rotation around and a favorite to win the CWS -- and he'd get to line-up on Sundays.

I'd be interested to look at the MLB Rules and see if players are permitted to accept travel expenses, equipment, etc. from a drafting team. I could see it being worth an organizations while to run a "draft camp" for a week, or even just a weekend, where they bring-in drafted players and watch them play. Open up a scrimmage to the fans, too. I think BOS does something like this, but can't remember if it's for all drafted or just the kids that have signed.

I think the problem would really lie with the NCAA. If players start accepting travel/stipend money from teams, they would no longer be considered amateurs and then the players would lose all leverage since they couldn't return to college.

I think the problem would really lie with the NCAA. If players start accepting travel/stipend money from teams, they would no longer be considered amateurs and then the players would lose all leverage since they couldn't return to college.

Sorry, yes. You are right. Harder to nail down NCAA -- MLB would likely have to get a letter approving certain behaviors as "conforming to NCAA regulation for amateur athletes" or something like that.

Fair enough -- I disagree (based on past interactions) but I'll just delete. Thanks, MP.

You're not the first person who RZ has riled up and you won't be the last and I think he does take a bit of pleasure in getting you heated. However, if you can avoid taking it personally I think that RZ is more focused on the argument than the posters involved.

If you can separate yourself from who you think RZ to be and his intentions and look at this exchange from a clean slate I think you'll see that you were responding to things unrelated to his posts in the thread.

Thanks for being the bigger internet entity and pulling the fuel from the fire, you guys are both very intelligent and informed baseball fans and I learn a lot from your back and forths when it doesn't get personal. By the way it feels good to get your rshack on occasionally and post about meta-baseball stuff and the state of the OH community instead of the Orioles. With the state of our team it's just more interesting!

Hockey has something like this. It seems that the NCAA players who are invited have to pay for themselves.

You're not the first person who RZ has riled up and you won't be the last and I think he does take a bit of pleasure in getting you heated. However, if you can avoid taking it personally I think that RZ is more focused on the argument than the posters involved.

If you can separate yourself from who you think RZ to be and his intentions and look at this exchange from a clean slate I think you'll see that you were responding to things unrelated to his posts in the thread.

Thanks for being the bigger internet entity and pulling the fuel from the fire, you guys are both very intelligent and informed baseball fans and I learn a lot from your back and forths when it doesn't get personal. By the way it feels good to get your rshack on occasionally and post about meta-baseball stuff and the state of the OH community instead of the Orioles. With the state of our team it's just more interesting!

Yeah, I agree here. I've bumped heads with RZ a couple times too and after a few I figured out he just gets really focused on the argument itself, I don't think he's making it personal at all, you just have to push through them and eventually you just kinda get to this oh, yeah, i see what you are saying point. It's kinda like bumping heads with SG, he does the same thing too. It's funny, cause the two of them, Stotle and Lucky Jim are probably my favorite people to go back and forth with on here. I could probably throw QB in there too since he's in my favorite two sections all the time too.

Yeah, I agree here. I've bumped heads with RZ a couple times too and after a few I figured out he just gets really focused on the argument itself, I don't think he's making it personal at all, you just have to push through them and eventually you just kinda get to this oh, yeah, i see what you are saying point. It's kinda like bumping heads with SG, he does the same thing too. It's funny, cause the two of them, Stotle and Lucky Jim are probably my favorite people to go back and forth with on here. I could probably throw QB in there too since he's in my favorite two sections all the time too.

Well, I think you are off as to RZ's intent -- I have sat across the table from attorneys with the same approach to "debate". He is pretty cavalier about making his points in an offensive manner. But both you and MP are correct that I shouldn't flip out over it. No one needs to see me throw a fit over something as innocuous as a baseball message board.

Cheers!

Well, I think you are off as to RZ's intent -- I have sat across the table from attorneys with the same approach to "debate". He is pretty cavalier about making his points in an offensive manner. But both you and MP are correct that I shouldn't flip out over it. No one needs to see me throw a fit over something as innocuous as a baseball message board.

Cheers!

I could be wrong, I'm not IN it so maybe it's a different take, I feel like there is an internet context issue though. Either way, not a big deal, I get riled up on here all the time, that's the downside to having discussions over the internet ;)

Cheers!

Yea, there is no doubt about this.

OTOH, as you say, none of us should let this bother them...Whether you are the one doing it or having it done to you.

Archived