Yankees revenue

Sports Guy

Darren Rovell said today that the Yankees projected revenue for 2010 is going to be 600 million....and that does NOT include the yes network, which is valued at over 1 billion dollars.

That is just freaking insane.

They had 400 million in TICKET revenue last year!!!

Darren Rovell said today that the Yankees projected revenue for 2010 is going to be 600 million....and that does NOT include the yes network, which is valued at over 1 billion dollars.

That is just freaking insane.

They had 400 million in TICKET revenue last year!!!

Holy @#%^!!! That is insane. I'd venture to say that amount is twice what the O's bring in; the $400 million that is.

Holy @#%^!!! That is insane. I'd venture to say that amount is twice what the O's bring in; the $400 million that is.

They brought in over 70 million last year...IN PLAYOFF TICKET REVENUE!

Think about that...That is crazy.

I mean, when they sign a player to a 25 million dollar a year contract..that's like us signing a 10 million dollar player.

They brought in over 70 million last year...IN PLAYOFF TICKET REVENUE!

Think about that...That is crazy.

I mean, when they sign a player to a 25 million dollar a year contract..that's like us signing a 10 million dollar player.

Agreed. Thats why they can have 4 guys making $20 million and upwards of 10 guys on the roster making $10 million plus. Not to mention the simple fact that thier better than us at scouting, development, etc.

Yeah but an additional team in NY would never survive.:rolleyes:

I think multiple other teams could survive in New York, but they would have a long path to really cutting into the Yanks' revenues. I'm in favor of having at least six teams in the NY area, but realize this is a generational-type approach. The Yanks would retain most of their market advantages for 30, 50 or more years.

As much as I hate to say it, it's unlikely that any approach to limiting the Yanks' dominance would really take hold for decades. The only thing that might work would be bad for the game - a big decrease in popularity and revenues that forced radical restructuring, or led to other competing leagues.

We're stuck with a system like soccer, where Rangers and Celtic, Man U and Arsenal and Chelsea, and Real and Barcelona are at or near the top every single year. But without the inter-league (outside of the majors) competitions and relegation battles that give lesser teams something to fight for.

I think multiple other teams could survive in New York, but they would have a long path to really cutting into the Yanks' revenues. I'm in favor of having at least six teams in the NY area, but realize this is a generational-type approach. The Yanks would retain most of their market advantages for 30, 50 or more years.
Exactly.

Another team in New York could destroy the Mets. It wouldn't impact the Yankees at all.

Exactly.

Another team in New York could destroy the Mets. It wouldn't impact the Yankees at all.

Then the Yankees shouldn't care if another team is placed there. At least a low budget team would be able to take advantage of the larger market. That would mean more money for everyone.

The Mets do most of the destruction to themselves and all the while keeping a budget usually in the top 5. So what if they are now working with a budget far less than what they have now. Other teams do it and are more successful than they currently are. The Mets will just have to be more careful about the decisions they make. Like just about every other team that isn't spoiled by a large market.

Yet another argument for NFL-style revenue sharing that absolutely no one seems to be seeing. The deck is so absurdly stacked in the Yankee$ favor that they truyl should be embarassed any year they don't win...er, purchase the World Series.

Forbes had the Yankees' 2009 revenue at $441 mm. http://www.forbes.com/lists/2010/33/baseball-valuations-10_New-York-Yankees_334613.html I wonder why it would be so much higher in 2010.

Attendance this year is up about 400/game so far, and I assume the spread is projected to increase slightly by the end of the year. They have 7 home games each remaining against TB and Boston. That's not a huge attendance bump, but those additional ticket sales are almost certainly in the $1,000+ seats since those were the only seats that were empty last year. I believe they raised ticket prices, too.

Attendance this year is up about 400/game so far, and I assume the spread is projected to increase slightly by the end of the year. They have 7 home games each remaining against TB and Boston. That's not a huge attendance bump, but those additional ticket sales are almost certainly in the $1,000+ seats since those were the only seats that were empty last year. I believe they raised ticket prices, too.

Didn't they also discount a lot of the more expensive seats last season? If those are selling at full price now it would make a difference.

Archived