Hobgood doing well today

QBsILLEST1

Kyle Hudson, Kieron Pope - classic Jordan picks at that.

Hudson was one. Pope has been hurt constantly so I wasn't counting him, but granted, he wasn't exactly setting the world on fire before his injuries.

However, in the same draft where Hudson was taken, Jordan took Hoes in the third round, Caleb Joseph in the 7th, Moreau in the 11th, Beal in the 14th, and Welty in the 20th. None of those guys were overslots, or guys who there was a lot of hype around, and I'd say they've all turned out pretty well.

Compare that to, say, the 2000 draft, which netted a grand total of three major leaguers, only one of which actually signed with the Orioles after that draft, that being the almighty Kurt Birkins. The other two? Jeff Salazar and Brandon Fahey.

There is talent in the lower levels of the system now. This is something the Orioles haven't had before. Instead of criticizing Jordan for a few questionable picks (and, as I've said many times, the Hobgood pick wasn't all that bad because of what it allowed Jordan to do in the later rounds), look at the big picture, and how much better off the system is now than it was five years ago.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For those criticizing Jordan: please name one player, other than Hobgood, who was seen as an overdraft on draft day and who has not played well enough to justify his draft spot.
Jordan's job isn't picking who is "supposed to" be good. Jordan's job is to pick players who will help the franchise get better. No one except O's fans care if the O's miss again on a "solid ballplayer" with "upside".

Jordan has been picking for 6 years....we haven't traded any picks he's made in the first 5 rounds much less any of his picks in general(I might be mistaken, but they might have traded for a proverbial bag o balls for one of Jordan's picks).

AUTOPICK would have done better.

That's my point. At a time when we need all the help we can get, we use the number 5 pick on a "project".

Nice deflection.

This kind of exaggeration ("only throws 88", "weighs 310 lbs") succeeds in getting people's attention, but does nothing to contribute to a legitimate debate about a player's talent, weaknesses or future potential.

Hudson was one. Pope has been hurt constantly so I wasn't counting him, but granted, he wasn't exactly setting the world on fire before his injuries.

However, in the same draft where Hudson was taken, Jordan took Hoes in the third round, Caleb Joseph in the 7th, Moreau in the 11th, Beal in the 14th, and Welty in the 20th. None of those guys were overslots, or guys who there was a lot of hype around, and I'd say they've all turned out pretty well.

Beal got $300K I believe. He was definitely an overslot.

Jordan's job isn't picking who is "supposed to" be good. Jordan's job is to pick players who will help the franchise get better. No one except O's fans care if the O's miss again on a "solid ballplayer" with "upside".

Jordan has been picking for 6 years....we haven't traded any picks he's made in the first 5 rounds much less any of his picks in general(I might be mistaken, but they might have traded for a proverbial bag o balls for one of Jordan's picks).

AUTOPICK would have done better.

The Orioles traded Garrett Olson for Felix Pie.

Kyle Hudson, Kieron Pope - classic Jordan picks at that.

On the flip side to that, who are some picks who were considered overdrafts who turned out to be pretty good?

Aaron Wirsch(Seiler said this was a bad pick, he was supposed to go later)

Trent Mummey(small sample size of course, but he is certainly killing the ball)

Xavier Avery(Everyone was criticizing JJ for this pick and he is doing well now)

This kind of exaggeration ("only throws 88", "weighs 310 lbs") succeeds in getting people's attention, but does nothing to contribute to a legitimate debate about a player's talent, weaknesses or future potential.

Poley:

Talk about exaggeration:

3 Wins, 7 Losses with 4.68 ERA in low-A minors. 72 hits allowed and 34 walks in 75 IP.

How's that for the 5th overall pick in the 2009 MLB draft?

That's my point. At a time when we need all the help we can get, we use the number 5 pick on a "project".
Hogood's going to be a guy that Jordan either ends up hanging his hat on as a great example of why you can't always buy the conventional wisdom or as a shining example of a completely whiffed-on pick.

He's still very young and has lots of talent. He hasn't performed up to any expectations so far, but that doesn't mean he can't ever, just that he has had a rough start.

If he was pitching amazingly at A-, that wouldn't mean that he was destined for stardom, either.

Its certainly fair to be disappointed with how he's performed so far, and to question both the player and the decision-making that went in to Jordan making him the 5th selection. But its still far too early to call him a bust like Rowell.

This is how you admit a mistake.....

Okay. I kind of just assumed he wasn't because there was almost no discussion of him at draft time.

Not this...

Poley:

Talk about exaggeration:

3 Wins, 7 Losses with 4.68 ERA in low-A minors. 72 hits allowed and 34 walks in 75 IP.

It's not a big deal if you didn't realize he had recently been clocked in the low 90s. Just admit the error and move on. Deflecting like this is the kind of thing I hear at work, not on this site.

On the flip side to that, who are some picks who were considered overdrafts who turned out to be pretty good?

Aaron Wirsch(Seiler said this was a bad pick, he was supposed to go later)

Trent Mummey(small sample size of course, but he is certainly killing the ball)

Xavier Avery(Everyone was criticizing JJ for this pick and he is doing well now)

I dunno, I was just answering his question.

It's not a big deal if you didn't realize he had recently been clocked in the low 90s. Just admit the error and move on. Deflecting like this is the kind of thing I hear at work, not on this site.

Dude:

You're missing my point. Let me break it down for you: We used the fifth overall pick, in the 2009 MLB draft, to draft an out-of-shape 19 y.o. kid, with a sore shoulder, 4.68 ERA in low-A who consistently throws in the mid to high 80's. In my opinion, this was a mistake in view of the current state of the organization. Should I bulletize these points to make them easier to understand?

You know what I hear a lot at work? Insignificant statements.

Poley:

Talk about exaggeration:

At least the stats are based on facts, unlike your exaggerated claims about him only throwing 88. You have yet to back that up with anything factual.

Oh, that's right....you can't, so you just keep changing the topic to something else that feeds into your whine-fest.

At least the stats are based on facts, unlike your exaggerated claims about him only throwing 88. You have yet to back that up with anything factual.

Oh, that's right....you can't, so you just keep changing the topic to something else that feeds into your whine-fest.

Scouting report from Alex Eisenberg of Baseball Intellect:

"I’m not going to imply that Orioles pitching prospect Matt Hobgood was the best prospect in the world last season, but he was certainly better than what he’s shown so far in 2010."

"What struck me in this outing was how extraordinarily inconsistent his mechanics were. I’m sure this is where Hobgood’s inconsistent command is coming from. More concerning was that Hobgood’s velocity was down about 4 mph…"

http://www.baseball-intellect.com/scouting-orioles-prospect-matt-hobgood/

Now, dissect every word and start hair splitting, attorney. This is a freakin message board - not a G.D. court-of-law.

Archived