Hobgood doing well today

QBsILLEST1

Dude:

You're missing my point. Let me break it down for you: We used the fifth overall pick, in the 2009 MLB draft, to draft an out-of-shape 19 y.o. kid, with a sore shoulder, 4.68 ERA in low-A who consistently throws in the mid to high 80's.

Is his shoulder STILL sore?

Was it sore when he was drafted a year ago?

And now you're saying he "consistently" throws in the mid- to high-80's. Now, it's "mid- to high 80s?" lol

Dude, the more you say, the more ridiculous it gets. Do you even listen to the games?

Just admit that you are GUESSING what's going on and call it just that...."My guess is...."

No one is missing "your point," but that's not what started this. It was your attempt to pass off erroneous info as though it was factual.

And no one is splitting hairs. You're just being called out for your own words. If you can't stand by them, then I don't know what to tell ya....

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dude:

You're missing my point. Let me break it down for you: We used the fifth overall pick, in the 2009 MLB draft, to draft an out-of-shape 19 y.o. kid, with a sore shoulder, 4.68 ERA in low-A who consistently throws in the mid to high 80's.

Is his shoulder STILL sore?

Was it sore when he was drafted a year ago?

And now you're saying he "consistently" throws in the mid- to high-80's. Now, it's "mid- to high 80s?" lol

Dude, the more you say, the more ridiculous it gets. Do you even listen to the games?

Just admit that you are GUESSING what's going on and call it just that...."My guess is...."

No one is missing "your point," but that's not what started this. It was your attempt to pass off erroneous info as though it was factual.

And no one is splitting hairs. You're just being called out for your own words. If you can't stand by them, then I don't know what to tell ya....

Do the math. Per BA ST scouting report, Hobgood's FB sat at 91 to 93 MPH. Eisenberg scouted him recently and noted his velocity was down 4 MPH. Let's see . . . 91 to 93 - 4 = mid-to-high 80's. Is his shoulder still sore? It was sore when they shut him down couple weeks ago. His velocity is down 4 MPH. You do the math this time. Get busy boy, you got some hair-splitting to do.

Do the math. Per BA ST scouting report, Hobgood's FB sat at 91 to 93 MPH. Eisenberg scouted him recently and noted his velocity was down 4 MPH. Let's see . . . . 91 to 93 - 4 = mid-to-high 80's. Hey being able to subtract is a powerful thing. Start splitting.

Its kind of unfair to hold Hobgood to this one scouting report. This was the start right before he was on the disabled list. He was going to a dead arm phase very common in young pitchers. If you read more recent reports it says that Hobgood is back up to 91-93 (according to his July 11th start).

Its kind of unfair to hold Hobgood to this one scouting report. This was the start right before he was on the disabled list. He was going to a dead arm phase very common in young pitchers. If you read more recent reports it says that Hobgood is back up to 91-93 (according to his July 11th start).

OK, OK. You guys win. I was wrong. Hobgood reminds me of a young, svelte Roger Clemens. Scouting reports are all wrong. His FB actually sits at 97-to-99. This will be his breakthrough year and he'll lead the O's back to greatness in 3 years. Probably win the Cy Young at some point.

"Never argue with idiots. They have a lot more experience."

OK, OK. You guys win. I was wrong. Hobgood reminds me of a young, svelte Roger Clemens. Scouting reports are all wrong. His FB actually sits at 97-to-99. This will be his breakthrough year and he'll lead the O's back to greatness in 3 years. Probably win the Cy Young at some point.

"Never argue with idiots. They have a lot more experience."

Never argue with people who mangle famous quotes? Or who respond to reasonable points by bringing up arguments that no one has made?

Hobgood's velocity has been all over the place this season, which could plausibly be indicative of a first-year pitcher dealing with conditioning/dead arm/minor injury issues. Would it be more satisfying to have someone closer to the majors like Minor or Leake right now? Sure. Would we be better off with one of them four years from now? Way too early to tell. I have concerns about Hobgood, and it would gratifying to see more progress, but high school pitchers are usually multi-year projects. If Hobgood can turn into a Derek Lowe-style innings eater, then the pick will have been well worth it.

Dude:

Do the math. Per BA ST scouting report, Hobgood's FB sat at 91 to 93 MPH. Eisenberg scouted him recently and noted his velocity was down 4 MPH. Let's see . . . 91 to 93 - 4 = mid-to-high 80's. Is his shoulder still sore? It was sore when they shut him down couple weeks ago. His velocity is down 4 MPH. You do the math this time. Get busy boy, you got some hair-splitting to do.

Your rationale deteriorates with every post....Boy.

He has an ERA in the upper 4's. He has never thrown consistently in the 90's since he's been in the minors. He's not a power pitcher nor a control pitcher. If he wasn't picked 1-5 he'd be virtually ignored and live in obscurity.

He's getting paid a lot of money to produce and I for one am tired of excuses for his mediocrity. If he ain't a pitcher put a bat in his hands. Who knows? Maybe we have the next Babe Ruth.

Archived