Wynn Pelzer

section36

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
First of all, I've never ever said my reputation is impeccable. It isn't. I've called lots of things wrong over the years. Hell, it is a good day at work when I only make one mistake. You can keep painting me with this "I think my crap doesn't stink" brush, but it simply isn't true. My opinion on this guy's worth absolutely pales in comparison to what folks like NoVaO or RVAbird or Stotle think. They do this as a profession or semi-profession. They understand much more than I do about how minor leaguers develop than I probably ever will because they watch is happen day-after-day while I just read about it and see highlights. Heck, they've probably seen this guy pitch. I haven't. I'm clearly not the expert here, but I can tell you that "his 2010 WHIP" isn't nearly all of the story.

Second, do you understand the definition of upside? How about range? I'm not trying to be rude, but I'm seriously thinking you may not have heard of these terms or you're defining them differently than most do.

The fact that you even compare him now to guys that have pitched for years in the majors tells me a lot about the conversation I'm having. I wouldn't even begin to predict who he WILL become. Nobody knows. If you're asking me for a ML comp of what he COULD become based on the type of pitcher he is, Shields and Rodney would be pretty awful comps though IMO.

He's just looking for a fight, don't feed him.

I like the idea of a power arm who can get grounders coming out of the pen...So often, the power relievers are FB pitchers.

Especially, if like they say, his change is so far behind his FB and slider. If he has only two pitches that good it almost screams pen.

Ok, I see your reasoning then...but what does that say about the state of our farm system on the pitching side? I feel like the starting pitching prospects we tend to develop are potential Brian Burres or Mark Hendrickson types rather than guys we can immediately add as power arms to the bullpen. We need more David Hernandez types in the organization and I'm not sure I see many...Brandon Erbe maybe, or somebody else I'm forgetting?

Yeah, I just don't know. I agree McCrory isn't a great "quality" comp, due to age/ceiling. I agree it would be nice to grab more college power arms with starter upside but a nice bullpen fallback -- particularly outside of the top 5 rounds.

I realize I might be stating the obvious here, but Baysox manager Brad Komminsk just confirmed that Pelzer is scheduled to join Double-A Bowie on Friday.

Komminsk wasn't sure if Pelzer would be used as a starter or reliever. Pitching coach Kennie Steenstra still had yet to be officially briefed on Pelzer when I caught up with him following Thursday's game, but told me to check back with him on Friday.

I know everyone is looking to move him to the pen, but would it hurt to put him in the rotation at Bowie now?

I'm certainly no expert, but he's a little old for AA, to try to gain a third and fourth pitch now. If you get him in the pen now, get him used to it, he's not out of the running to be on the ML team next year.

Archived