When is the time right for Reimold?

Kevin Lomax

Please say more. How has he struggled? Fielding balls? snagging errant throws? Covering bases on throws from the outfield? etc...

I don't know how he's got them, but he's got 7 errors in 28 games. That projects to 40 errors over a 162 game season.

His range factor is 9.04, which would be mediocre to bad compared to MLB regulars.

His fielding % is off the charts bad at .973.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't know how he's got them, but he's got 7 errors in 28 games. That projects to 40 errors over a 162 game season.

His range factor is 9.04, which would be mediocre to bad compared to MLB regulars.

His fielding % is off the charts bad at .973.

But couldn't this be attributed to a lack of focus resulting from the personal problems he was dealing with? Just like I don't think Reimold is a .600 hitter, he probably isn't as bad in the field as his numbers indicate. Now that he's hitting better, and seems to have cleared his head somewhat, I wouldn't be surprised at all if his fielding improved significantly. That's not to say I think he's about to become some great fielder, only that, considering recent circumstances, the data is inconclusive at best.

But couldn't this be attributed to a lack of focus resulting from the personal problems he was dealing with? Just like I don't think Reimold is a .600 hitter, he probably isn't as bad in the field as his numbers indicate. Now that he's hitting better, and seems to have cleared his head somewhat, I wouldn't be surprised at all if his fielding improved significantly. That's not to say I think he's about to become some great fielder, only that, considering recent circumstances, the data is inconclusive at best.

To field 1B at a .973 clip is about the equivalent of hitting .050 with an OPS of .050.

I could see a Bell for Reimold swap if Bell does not start hitting in the next week. Wiggy to third and Scott to first.

I do not see this happening. I think Bell is there for good this year. If Reimold comes up it'll be from a trade or roster expansion....Bell is a key part of our future team, moreso at this point than Reimold is.

Pie has solidified his spot in LF, so the rest of the OF is pretty set. Nolan's only possible places on this team will be DH/1B or as the 4th OFer or a combination of some sorts.....Since it sounds like 1B isn't a good spot for him, he is somewhat stuck with being either a DH or 4th OF......Hopefully he regains his form fully so he can be an asset for us at DH....

Pie has solidified his spot in LF, so the rest of the OF is pretty set. Nolan's only possible places on this team will be DH/1B or as the 4th OFer or a combination of some sorts.

I would not say that Pie has solidified his spot in LF at this point. I think it will take a bit more then .746 OPS over 119 at bats. Of course the end result might be someone other then either one of them in LF next season.

Edit- Patterson is sporting a .737 OPS in left with much better stolen base numbers and no one is stating he has solidified even a job next season.

I would not say that Pie has solidified his spot in LF at this point. I think it will take a bit more then .746 OPS over 119 at bats. Of course the end result might be someone other then either one of them in LF next season.

Edit- Patterson is sporting a .737 OPS in left with much better stolen base numbers and no one is stating he has solidified even a job next season.

Corey is 30. Felix Pie is 25, and already his career numbers are higher than Patterson's.

Corey is 30. Felix Pie is 25, and already his career numbers are higher than Patterson's.

I wasn't arguing that the O's should keep Patterson over Pie at all. I was just comparing the numbers to illustrate that Pie has not "solidified" the left field position from an offensive standpoint. When Patterson is putting up better numbers then you, you still have work to do.

Pie is just starting to get hot again and is a very good defender and adds great speed. I would be pretty surprised if Pie had a .746 OPS by the end of the season. Patterson really isn't even part of the equation, he is a rental and will be gone next year if I remember right...

The end result will be either 1 of Pie or Reimold will be our LFer next year. I would expect Pie as long as he remains healthy. His numbers will improve as he gets more ABs and should be counted on as part of the future. You don't just count him out because he has not been on fire this first month back from the 60 day DL. You have to be able to recognize talent, even when the talent isn't necessarily performing as well as it should or can, but you don't just write someone off based on 100 ABs....

Pie is just starting to get hot again and is a very good defender and adds great speed. I would be pretty surprised if Pie had a .746 OPS by the end of the season. Patterson really isn't even part of the equation, he is a rental and will be gone next year if I remember right...

The end result will be either 1 of Pie or Reimold will be our LFer next year. I would expect Pie as long as he remains healthy. His numbers will improve as he gets more ABs and should be counted on as part of the future. You don't just count him out because he has not been on fire this first month back from the 60 day DL. You have to be able to recognize talent, even when the talent isn't necessarily performing as well as it should or can, but you don't just write someone off based on 100 ABs....

Please show me where I wrote him off? I am just saying you are premature in writing him on. His numbers, both last season and this season, are not what you would like from a left fielder. He could very well improve but at this point he has not "solidified" the position.

How about the fact he is no longer playing there and seems to be exclusively in LF now?

Reimold will be like an emergency option, just like how Scott Moore is an emergency SS option. I doubt there was ever an intent to put him at 1B full time.

The Orioles like having players that can fill multiple roles.

No need to be defensive. I was just wondering, not challenging.;)

It is a real shame reimold had this lost season this year. However he is still a big part of this teams future. He is a better hitter than any of our OF/1b/dh guys other than Nick. IMO he is better than Scott and Scott is pretty darn good. I think he just had a combination of things go bad for him this year. But I still think he will have several 900+ seasons in the majors. He has that combination of power and approach that is hard to find. If Pie proves to be able to hit he will be the fourth Of/dh for the next 4 years or more. The only reason I would not bring him up now is getting everyone ABs and I would be checking his service time to see if a hardy type extra year is possible.

It is a real shame reimold had this lost season this year. However he is still a big part of this teams future. He is a better hitter than any of our OF/1b/dh guys other than Nick. IMO he is better than Scott and Scott is pretty darn good.

Luke Scott is hitting around 290 in the major leagues with 20 HR's. Reimold is hitting 235 at Norfolk. How can you say he is a better? I hope Reimold is more like the player he was last year before his injury but he doesn't have this long track record of doing it in the major leagues. He also isn't that young anymore. He will be 27 this year. I think many people are putting a lot of hope and faith that just may not be justified.

Archived