Boise State -- can they possibly stand a chance?

SammyBirdland

Boise State just knocked off VT, but check out the rest of their schedule:

@ Wyoming

Oregon State

@ New Mexico State

Toledo

@ San Jose State

Louisiana Tech

Hawaii

@ Idaho

Fresno State

@ Nevada

Utah State

Even if they won out, how could they possibly contend for a national title with that schedule?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Boise State just knocked off VT, but check out the rest of their schedule:

@ Wyoming

Oregon State

@ New Mexico State

Toledo

@ San Jose State

Louisiana Tech

Hawaii

@ Idaho

Fresno State

@ Nevada

Utah State

Even if they won out, how could they possibly contend for a national title with that schedule?

Because they started number three. And no one will play them, which is already getting major play and will be pounded down the throats (validly) of every poll voter.

They are playing by the rules as offered by the weaklings-that-be in college football, and when they win out will make the championship game.

If they don't, it will completely destroy any arguments for fairness the BCS defenders can offer up. Specifically the BS about "every game being an elimination game" that seems to be the last bastion for those pitiful fellows.

Because they started number three. And no one will play them, which is already getting major play and will be pounded down the throats (validly) of every poll voter.

They are playing by the rules as offered by the weaklings-that-be in college football, and when they win out will make the championship game.

If they don't, it will completely destroy any arguments for fairness the BCS defenders can offer up. Specifically the BS about "every game being an elimination game" that seems to be the last bastion for those pitiful fellows.

Problem is, they're #3 in the AP poll, which no longer counts in the BCS standings. They were only #5 in the Coach's poll, and while neither Florida (3) or Texas (4) were particularly impressive in victory this week, I'm not sure the Broncos move up. And since this is the Coach's poll, many of the voters (i.e. SID honchos at BCS schools) probably won't be too inclined to move them up.

Absolutely...They have proven, year in and year out, that they can play with top teams from BCS conferences. They start high up in the rankings and now have a win vs a top 10 team and they play OSU, who was ranked #24...They are probably one of the best 30ish teams in the country.

If they beat them, that will be 2 OOC wins that most teams won't be able to match.

They also play Utah St at the end of the year who had a chance to beat Oklahoma the other day.

Problem is' date=' they're #3 in the AP poll, which no longer counts in the BCS standings. They were only #5 in the Coach's poll, [b']and while neither Florida (3) or Texas (4) were particularly impressive in victory this week, I'm not sure the Broncos move up.[/b] And since this is the Coach's poll, many of the voters (i.e. SID honchos at BCS schools) probably won't be too inclined to move them up.

I stand corrected. Of course now the question is can Boise stay that high if the teams below them are winning games against tougher opponents?

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/usatpoll.htm?loc=interstitialskip

Absolutely...They have proven, year in and year out, that they can play with top teams from BCS conferences. They start high up in the rankings and now have a win vs a top 10 team and they play OSU, who was ranked #24...They are probably one of the best 30ish teams in the country.

If they beat them, that will be 2 OOC wins that most teams won't be able to match.

They also play Utah St at the end of the year who had a chance to beat Oklahoma the other day.

That's true, but those teams they will be up against will still have played much tougher schedules. Obviously, Boise can only play the teams that will play them, but the computers won't care about that. I hope they make it, and a team like Texas, Alabama or someone else that carries alot of weight is bumped out. That is the best chance for a playoff in the future.

As far as their play on the field, Boise has consistently shown that they can play with and beat anybody in the country. People need to stop looking at them like a Cinderella story, b/c they are one of the best teams in the country every year.

That's true, but those teams they will be up against will still have played much tougher schedules. Obviously, Boise can only play the teams that will play them, but the computers won't care about that. I hope they make it, and a team like Texas, Alabama or someone else that carries alot of weight is bumped out. That is the best chance for a playoff in the future.

As far as their play on the field, Boise has consistently shown that they can play with and beat anybody in the country. People need to stop looking at them like a Cinderella story, b/c they are one of the best teams in the country every year.

Precisely. As soon as an undefeated non-AQ team gets to the championship game over a 1-loss Big 10/Big 12/SEC team, then that will finally be the impetus for college football's powers-that-be to start serious discussions of a playoff. I'm not sure if this will be the year that happens, but I'm hopeful enough that I'll be pulling for Boise St and TCU this season.

How can anyone not be impressed w/Boise State? They don't get the 5 star recruits yet they play tough and don't make many mistakes. They came across the country to play essentially what was a VaTech home game and were arguably the more physical team.

That's a very well coached team.

How can anyone not be impressed w/Boise State? They don't get the 5 star recruits yet they play tough and don't make many mistakes. They came across the country to play essentially what was a VaTech home game and were arguably the more physical team.

That's a very well coached team.

They're typically a disciplined team, but they made quite a few mistakes last night, a couple of them very costly. I think the fact they still won is actually a testament to the fact that they are simply one of the most talented teams in the country. That, and they are probably the most experienced team in college football too.

The last time a non BCS school won the National Title was Brigham Young in 1984. Some facts about that team....

1.) Played zero games against teams that finished in the Top #25. In fairness those, they did beat Pitt in the first game who was #3.

2.) Was awarded the National Championship before Christmas on 12/21/84.

3.) Defeated a 5-loss Michigan team in the Holiday Bowl to the win the BCS title.

While the BCS is inherently unfair, it's light years ahead of where we were.

The last time a non BCS school won the National Title was Brigham Young in 1984. Some facts about that team....

1.) Played zero games against teams that finished in the Top #25. In fairness those, they did beat Pitt in the first game who was #3.

2.) Was awarded the National Championship before Christmas on 12/21/84.

3.) Defeated a 5-loss Michigan team in the Holiday Bowl to the win the BCS title.

While the BCS is inherently unfair, it's light years ahead of where we were.

Which championship were they actually awarded that early? I thought that both the AP and UPI waited until after the New Year's Bowl games to make it official. I seem to recall there being some question of whether #2 Oklahoma, at 9-1-1 entering the Orange Bowl could jump them with an impressive win over Washington. But Washington won and the point was moot.

Heresy. Screw Boise State and their crappy conference, small stadium, and woe-is-me attitude. They played a good game against VT and have one more challenge with Oregon State, but after that they get to walk through the rest of the season without breaking a sweat. There's no way they should make it over a one loss SEC team.

Archived