Boise State -- can they possibly stand a chance?

SammyBirdland

Heresy. Screw Boise State and their crappy conference, small stadium, and woe-is-me attitude. They played a good game against VT and have one more challenge with Oregon State, but after that they get to walk through the rest of the season without breaking a sweat. There's no way they should make it over a one loss SEC team.

And why do they walk through the rest of their schedule? Because nobody else will play them.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And why do they walk through the rest of their schedule? Because nobody else will play them.

And why will no one else play them? Because they ask for too much. A home-and-home is ridiculous for almost any major BCS team because they are in the middle of nowhere and have a 33,000+ seat stadium. When they offer to play a road only matchup they ask for too much money. Then they go out and act like they're willing to play anyone and that the big boys are afraid to play them. Whatever.

And why will no one else play them? Because they ask for too much. A home-and-home is ridiculous for almost any major BCS team because they are in the middle of nowhere and have a 33,000+ seat stadium. When they offer to play a road only matchup they ask for too much money. Then they go out and act like they're willing to play anyone and that the big boys are afraid to play them. Whatever.

They are a perennial Top 10 team, why should they be subjected to playing only on the road to get a good game? The system is f'd up, and I would love to see one of the big boys get screwed so we could see some change.

Heresy. Screw Boise State and their crappy conference, small stadium, and woe-is-me attitude. They played a good game against VT and have one more challenge with Oregon State, but after that they get to walk through the rest of the season without breaking a sweat. There's no way they should make it over a one loss SEC team.

This is an excellent illustration of the attitude that maintains the good ol' boy hierarchy that college football has been and still is today. I personally can take-or-leave Boise St, but they are The Great Blue Hope right now for those of us who think it's long past time to end the beauty pageant that passes for a college football championship and implement something that truly determines a champion of the field. Trust me, it's going to happen....some day. One morning, CrimsonTribers everywhere will collectively choke on their breakfast grits when they read that their 1-loss Alabama team only gets to play in the Sugar Bowl while two undefeated non-AQs play for a mythical title. And when the SEC, Big 10, Big 12, teams are the ones left out while non-AQs get in, just watch and see how fast a playoff system is set up.....it'll make your head spin.

And when the SEC' date=' Big 10, Big 12, teams are the ones left out while non-AQs get in, just watch and see how fast a playoff system is set up.....it'll make your head spin.[/quote']

It's going to take more than it being just a team from a big conference. Auburn got screwed in 2004, but there wasn't anything said about it, b/c two darlings (USC and Oklahoma) got in. It's going to take a BIG name getting screwed (Bama, Texas, Michigan etc.) before something is done.

They are a perennial Top 10 team, why should they be subjected to playing only on the road to get a good game? The system is f'd up, and I would love to see one of the big boys get screwed so we could see some change.

Because of economics. There's no money in it. They play in too small of a stadium in a conference without a decent tv deal. Do you expect the major BCS teams to give up a surefire payday in order to help Boise State make a name for itself? I sure hope not.

It's going to take more than it being just a team from a big conference. Auburn got screwed in 2004, but there wasn't anything said about it, b/c two darlings (USC and Oklahoma) got in. It's going to take a BIG name getting screwed (Bama, Texas, Michigan etc.) before something is done.

You missed my point. It will happen when any BCS AQ team is left out in favor of a non-AQ team. I don't care if the team left out is Auburn, Ohio State or Vanderbilt. That's when it will happen.

Because of economics. There's no money in it. They play in too small of a stadium in a conference without a decent tv deal. Do you expect the major BCS teams to give up a surefire payday in order to help Boise State make a name for itself? I sure hope not.

And there is your problem with college football. The competition and determination of the true best team takes a backseat to money. The good ole boys club keeps out as many schools as they can so they don't have to share anything else. It's pathetic.

You missed my point. It will happen when any BCS AQ team is left out in favor of a non-AQ team. I don't care if the team left out is Auburn' date=' Ohio State or Vanderbilt. That's when it will happen.[/quote']

No, I get what you're saying, but there is going to need to be alot of media attention given to it. If, for example, Iowa is left out in favor of Boise St. there won't be much fuss about it. It's going to take a big name before some change is actually made, IMO.

No, I get what you're saying, but there is going to need to be alot of media attention given to it. If, for example, Iowa is left out in favor of Boise St. there won't be much fuss about it. It's going to take a big name before some change is actually made, IMO.

Oh yes there will be. Maybe not so much in the news media, Boise St will still get the Cinderella treatment from them. But for the people who actually run college football (presidents, conference commissioners and TV network execs), there will absolutely be a fuss. And those are the only people who can actually make a change happen.

Oh yes there will be. Maybe not so much in the news media' date=' Boise St will still get the Cinderella treatment from them. But for the people who actually run college football (presidents, conference commissioners and TV network execs), there will absolutely be a fuss. And those are the only people who can actually make a change happen.[/quote']

Agree to disagree, but I hope you're right.

This is an excellent illustration of the attitude that maintains the good ol' boy hierarchy that college football has been and still is today. I personally can take-or-leave Boise St' date=' but they are The Great Blue Hope right now for those of us who think it's long past time to end the beauty pageant that passes for a college football championship and implement something that truly determines a champion of the field. Trust me, it's going to happen....some day. One morning, CrimsonTribers everywhere will collectively choke on their breakfast grits when they read that their 1-loss Alabama team only gets to play in the Sugar Bowl while two undefeated non-AQs play for a mythical title. And when the SEC, Big 10, Big 12, teams are the ones left out while non-AQs get in, just watch and see how fast a playoff system is set up.....it'll make your head spin.[/quote']

You can act like my thinking is backward and make stupid southerner digs all you want, but the fact of the matter is that until Boise State plays a real schedule, they shouldn't get a shot at the NC over some (not all) one-loss BCS teams.

Why don't the play a real schedule? Boise State claims that it is because the big boys are afraid to play them, but this is a distortion. The big boys are not willing to play them at the price that Boise State is asking.

From most of the rumors out there (there aren't any good links on this), Boise either wants a home-and-home or a road only matchup where they get a guaranteed gate of ~$1M. The home-and-home scenario is just not economically feasible. In a home-and-home the teams typically split the gates, but Boise State plays in a 33,000 seat stadium in the middle of Idaho. Alabama, tOSU, Georgia, Texas, etc have ~100,000 seat stadiums that rake in $$. There is no way they are giving up a lucrative cupcake home game to go to Boise State and if they schedule a home-and-home with a tough OOC opponent, they are going to schedule one with an adequate stadium and tv deal.

As for the road only game for ~$1M, Boise State seems to think that is fair market value. Funny how no one else in the market seems to think so. And before you go and say that Auburn paid Arkansas State $1M this year or that Alabama paid San Jose State $1M, you have to realize that they are paying for wins. No team in its right mind is going to pay that kind of money AND put its national title hopes on the line. Further, it is Boise State that NEEDS to play the big boys. The big boys have no need to play Boise State, therefore Boise State has very little leverage to be demanding some ridiculous fee.

Frankly, I don't think that anyone is afraid to play Boise State per say, they're just not willing to play Boise State on Boise State's terms. And as far as I'm concerned, they shouldn't. No one owes Boise State a thing.

And there is your problem with college football. The competition and determination of the true best team takes a backseat to money. The good ole boys club keeps out as many schools as they can so they don't have to share anything else. It's pathetic.

I'm not a big fan of it either, but it is what it is. If Auburn somehow makes it through the SEC with only one loss, wins the SECCG, and is held out of the NCG for the likes of BSU, I bet you'll change your tune.

You can act like my thinking is backward and make stupid southerner digs all you want, but the fact of the matter is that until Boise State plays a real schedule, they shouldn't get a shot at the NC over some (not all) one-loss BCS teams.

Why don't the play a real schedule? Boise State claims that it is because the big boys are afraid to play them, but this is a distortion. The big boys are not willing to play them at the price that Boise State is asking.

From most of the rumors out there (there aren't any good links on this), Boise either wants a home-and-home or a road only matchup where they get a guaranteed gate of ~$1M. The home-and-home scenario is just not economically feasible. In a home-and-home the teams typically split the gates, but Boise State plays in a 33,000 seat stadium in the middle of Idaho. Alabama, tOSU, Georgia, Texas, etc have ~100,000 seat stadiums that rake in $$. There is no way they are giving up a lucrative cupcake home game to go to Boise State and if they schedule a home-and-home with a tough OOC opponent, they are going to schedule one with an adequate stadium and tv deal.

As for the road only game for ~$1M, Boise State seems to think that is fair market value. Funny how no one else in the market seems to think so. And before you go and say that Auburn paid Arkansas State $1M this year or that Alabama paid San Jose State $1M, you have to realize that they are paying for wins. No team in its right mind is going to pay that kind of money AND put its national title hopes on the line. Further, it is Boise State that NEEDS to play the big boys. The big boys have no need to play Boise State, therefore Boise State has very little leverage to be demanding some ridiculous fee.

Frankly, I don't think that anyone is afraid to play Boise State per say, they're just not willing to play Boise State on Boise State's terms. And as far as I'm concerned, they shouldn't. No one owes Boise State a thing.

I didn't take any digs. Your thinking is not backwards. It is exactly in line with the power-brokers of college football. And as long those people have the pie to themselves, things will stay as is. If someone like Boise State crashes the party, things will change...of that I am certain.

As for Boise State's schedule, I can agree with your point that no one should feel compelled to go out and play them at home just because. Not sure how old you are, but there was a time when schools like Miami and Florida State were the Boise's of college football. What did they do? They went on the road and played good teams.... and they won. They forced their way to the table. That's what Boise is doing. They do have some handicaps that Miami and FSU didn't....namely a small stadium and very few quality HS players in their backyard. But stadiums can be made bigger and plenty of good football players don't mind leaving home for the right school. I think it will happen. And when it does, teams will go play them just like they do any other OOC game, because at that point going to Boise and leaving with a win will be a huge boost to a team's rep and standing in the polls.

My main point is that the BCS was set up to ensure that the schools from the Big 6 reap all the financial rewards of college football and that two schools from among their group always get the opportunity to play for a championship. As soon as that is no longer the case, the BCS will be blown up. And if Boise St can go on the road and win OOC games against teams like VaTech, dominate their conference (which they will share with TCU starting next year) then then the people who cast votes that make up the BCS standings are going to give them a chance one of these days. Maybe even this year, we'll see.

I didn't take any digs. Your thinking is not backwards. It is exactly in line with the power-brokers of college football. And as long those people have the pie to themselves' date=' things will stay as is. If someone like Boise State crashes the party, things will change...of that I am certain.

As for Boise State's schedule, I can agree with your point that no one should feel compelled to go out and play them at home just because. Not sure how old you are, but there was a time when schools like Miami and Florida State were the Boise's of college football. What did they do? They went on the road and played good teams.... and they won. They forced their way to the table. That's what Boise is doing. They do have some handicaps that Miami and FSU didn't....namely a small stadium and very few quality HS players in their backyard. But stadiums can be made bigger and plenty of good football players don't mind leaving home for the right school. I think it will happen. And when it does, teams will go play them just like they do any other OOC game, because at that point going to Boise and leaving with a win will be a huge boost to a team's rep and standing in the polls.

My main point is that the BCS was set up to ensure that the schools from the Big 6 reap all the financial rewards of college football and that two schools from among their group always get the opportunity to play for a championship. As soon as that is no longer the case, the BCS will be blown up. And if Boise St can go on the road and win OOC games against teams like VaTech, dominate their conference (which they will share with TCU starting next year) then then the people who cast votes that make up the BCS standings are going to give them a chance one of these days. Maybe even this year, we'll see.[/quote']

I apologize, I took the grits comment as a dig. Here's the thing, I'd love to see someone bust the BCS, but not at the expense of a team that deserves to be there. As far as I'm concerned, BSU does not deserve to be there. They don't have the challenge of a week-in, week-out tough schedule. They get 1-2 big games to prepare for every year and that's it. The rest is cake. The thing that really annoys me about them is that they talk a lot about being willing to "play anyone, anywhere," but then they won't back it up unless it is on their terms. As far as I'm concerned, they need the BCS teams in order to bust the BCS, therefore they don't really have a leg to stand on. If you want to upset the system, take less to play the big games you need to play, but don't act like everyone is afraid of you when they're not.

Archived