Tejada deal up to Angelos

bigbird

From the Sun...

Because of their stocked farm system, the Angels have been the most-discussed landing spot for Tejada. In return, the Orioles reportedly want either shortstop prospect Brandon Wood or rookie second baseman Howie Kendrick and a major league pitcher - likely 23-year-old right-hander Ervin Santana - and possibly another player

Got to give the O's FO props no matter what happens, they are ON THE BALL. This is exactly what they should be asking for and should not settle for less.

Santana, Wood/Kendrick and another player.

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is what I would love for Tejada/Conine ...

Santana

Wood

Aybar

McPherson

I would move Wood to LF. Aybar is your SS. Wood is your LF and McPherson/Gibbons our your DH/1B.

Here is what I would take ...

Saunders

Wood

Aybar

Mosely

I pray that Angelos oks the deal.

I am not a PA fan by any stretch but I am sorry this is his team and yes you hire guys to do certain jobs. I am a manager myself and make big company decisions everyday without the owners approval but something like this you still get the final ok before you just pull the trigger.

That's the difference. The owners of your company (I'm assuming) know about your business. They can talk intelligently about the specifics and offer real insight. Angelos prolly doesn't know this Wood from Kerry Wood (or Tiger Woods) He just shouldn't have any input from a baseball side.

Got to give the O's FO props no matter what happens, they are ON THE BALL. This is exactly what they should be asking for and should not settle for less.

Exactly. We should be receiving at least three prospects for Tejada. If Wood/Kendrick or Santana aren't included, we should be getting 4 prospects back.

Aybar is a .750-.800 OPS SS max, which is good for a SS, but not really that good in general. His defense is "good" (not great), and his stealing bases skills are seriously lacking (51 steals:: 36 times caught)

Aybar could very well end up around that level, but he has better upside than a .750-.800 OPS. He is still very young, and his power is developing. He needs to be more disciplined at the plate, but he doesn't strike out much.

Not including Adenhart, if we could get any extra prospect in a deal for Tejada, I would want Aybar. I would then move Wood to third, and Mora to left (or trade him if I could). We could find a first baseman in another organization (like Shealy) for a pretty cheap price.

However, as long as Wood and Santana are included in any deal, it doesn't make too much of a difference what third prospect comes back to us.

FWIW- Baseball Prospectus projects Aybar to be a slightly better player if you look at both their 5-yr PECOTA projections.

They project Wood to be low avg/obp with 19-30 HR's. He does strike out an awful lot. Woods top five "similar players" from his PECOTA card : Corey Smith, Franklyn Gutierrez, Joe Crede, Dave Kelton, Edwin Encarnacion. Later on the list is Marte and Wright, though.

Aybar's top similar players (BP PECOTA Card) are: Jimmy Rollins, Jose Reyes, Gary Templeton, Paul Molitor, Jason Bourgeois.

Do you fear we are falling for the "sizzle" with Wood (HR's) rather than the better overall player in Aybar ?

Not that BP has a crystal ball or anything, but Aybar is not exactly chopped liver.

If they have already offered Aybar and Santana- I would just try to get Morales too, even if I had to throw in Conine or another.

When its said and done if we take Aybar instead of Wood I wouldn't be too disappointed since he's a top prospect in his own right, but it seems more common to find a high average type hitter then a serious power hitter. Wood is the top power prospect in all the minors. We have exactly one power prospect in our system and he's not near ready. He might be the bigger "risk" but if he fulfills his scouting reports he would mean a HUGE boost to our lineup. Nothing like power to make all of your lineup better. Plus the fact that BA feels so highly about him to rank him #3 overall, above serious players like Liriano, Verlander, Fielder, Zimmerman and more and the comaprisions people keep making to one Cal Ripken, Jr. just makes me think he's a special player who we should not pass up on.

We ALL like having a star on the team. Guys like Miggy are so few and far between they are hard to get rid of. If this trade is everything that it is supposed to be, and it happens - fine.

But I totally understand why if it doesnt, and I really wouldnt lose much sleep over it

I agree completely. The only way we lose is if we trade him for not very much (which I don't think is going to happen), or if we have fantastic deal that is agreed upon that Angelos turns down. I'm perfectly content with Miggy until the end of his contract if that's what happens.

Tejada possibly leaving, Mora wont be happy and protests coming up - this summer will be a PR nightmare for the Orioles.

baseball people will know its good - but the general public will light the Orioles up

Mora may understand on some level. Also, a good chunk of the people going to that protest are very knowledgable baseball fans.

The real interesting thing would be: if we find out Angelos shoots this down. Then that protest will be even more intense.

----------

As for the trade itself, I really like this. A great pitcher. A SS on the verge of special. And some solid other players. I'd like it just because we need a mop to tidy up the mess we have a bit and I think this could help.

From the Sun...

Because of their stocked farm system, the Angels have been the most-discussed landing spot for Tejada. In return, the Orioles reportedly want either shortstop prospect Brandon Wood or rookie second baseman Howie Kendrick and a major league pitcher - likely 23-year-old right-hander Ervin Santana - and possibly another player

Good! That's what we should be aiming for. Don't accept anything less than Santana + Wood/Kendrick. Anyone else is icing on the cake.

Signs sure do point to the O's doing this the right way, for once.

FWIW- Baseball Prospectus projects Aybar to be a slightly better player if you look at both their 5-yr PECOTA projections.

They project Wood to be low avg/obp with 19-30 HR's. He does strike out an awful lot. Woods top five "similar players" from his PECOTA card : Corey Smith, Franklyn Gutierrez, Joe Crede, Dave Kelton, Edwin Encarnacion. Later on the list is Marte and Wright, though.

Aybar's top similar players (BP PECOTA Card) are: Jimmy Rollins, Jose Reyes, Gary Templeton, Paul Molitor, Jason Bourgeois.

Do you fear we are falling for the "sizzle" with Wood (HR's) rather than the better overall player in Aybar ?

Not that BP has a crystal ball or anything, but Aybar is not exactly chopped liver.

If they have already offered Aybar and Santana- I would just try to get Morales too, even if I had to throw in Conine or another.

I'm curious if that takes into account his previous years, or if that is mainly using what he is doing this year as a comparison.

He is striking out about once every three at bats this year. However, he was striking out about once every 4.5 at bats the past couple of years, which isn't too bad for the type of hitter he is.

I'm thinking as he gets older, and the experience/age difference is evened out, his strikeouts will go down.

Mora may understand on some level. Also, a good chunk of the people going to that protest are very knowledgable baseball fans.

The real interesting thing would be: if we find out Angelos shoots this down. Then that protest will be even more intense.

----------

As for the trade itself, I really like this. A great pitcher. A SS on the verge of special. And some solid other players. I'd like it just because we need a mop to tidy up the mess we have a bit and I think this could help.

Exactly. How can you turn down an offer that sends you a top prospect or two, AND a guy who's almost surely in the top half of your rotation next year?

And the general public doesn't care about the O's much anymore as it is. We're what, 22nd in attendance? They're not that interested.

According to Wills Mill (Will Carrols rumor mill) today:

"The Astros and Angels have made their final offers on Miguel Tejada. The Orioles now have to decide if it's enough to give up their star shortstop."

Now it is just a waiting game.

Waiting for the Rangers offer ?

Waiting for PA to make a decision.

"Santana, Wood, Kotchman and Saunders for Tejada and Conine?! Can dreams come true?"

If that happens, I'll put my feet up, pour myself a gin & tonic large enough to do cannonballs in it, and go through an entire box of smokes with a huge smile on my face.

Who knows, I might even jump on-line and order some new Orioles gear (hear that, DEVILos?)

Archived