Tejada deal up to Angelos

bigbird

To feed this monster of a thread:

Add the Reds:

from mlbtraderumors.com

Another tasty nugget from Carroll on the Reds:

"They have one offer out on a player that would really signal a new era in Cincy, though it's unlikely to happen."

My own speculation? The offer is for Miguel Tejada. We know that they've kicked the tires. By the way, are you getting sick of the phrase "kicked the tires" yet?

So, who do the Reds have that you'd ask for? Doubtful they'd give up Dunn after trading Kearns and being in the middle of a race. Homer Baily (rhp) and Jay Bruce (Of) are their top prospects. For those who know this stuff, how do they compare to the Angels guys?

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He did not say the deal was to Angelos yet. Got to believe we'll milk them for all we can. Add to the fact Texas is also making a run for Tejada puts even more pressure on the Angels.

Good info BB! The reason I talked about Houston yesterday is because from my understanding they asked that we did not make any moves without giving them last call. My guy feels like they are willing to cave into our demands if it comes down to it. My guy said Houston almost has to get the big bat to have any hope of reaching the playoffs! With that being said I still look for them to be involved until the end.

Does Aybar really project out to be that good? He's tiny, we already have CPat, Brob, and Fahey. Seems to me that Wood is FAR superior than Aybar. We need power in our organization, I don't do this deal unless it includes Wood.

He's tiny ? Aybar is listed at 5'10" tall and 170 lbs. Tejada is listed at 5'9" 215 lbs, but when Tejada was Aybar's age he was listed at 170 lbs also.

(source is - http://www.baseball-almanac.com/teamstats/roster.php?y=1998&t=OAK)

Does Aybar project out to be that good ? According to BP he projects to be a slightly better pro than Wood. I posted this waaaaaaaaaayyyy back on page 19 of this thread. It is worth repeating:

FWIW- Baseball Prospectus projects Aybar to be a slightly better player if you look at both their 5-yr PECOTA projections.

They project Wood to be low avg/obp with 19-30 HR's. He does strike out an awful lot. Woods top five "similar players" from his PECOTA card : Corey Smith, Franklyn Gutierrez, Joe Crede, Dave Kelton, Edwin Encarnacion. Later on the list is Marte and Wright, though.

Aybar's top similar players (BP PECOTA Card) are: Jimmy Rollins, Jose Reyes, Gary Templeton, Paul Molitor, Jason Bourgeois.

Would I still rather have Wood ? Yes. He has tremendous power. But, those tremendous strikeouts and his comparables do scare me a tad.

But, the point is- Aybar (and perhaps Morales) would be a he!! of a consolation prize if they won't part with Wood.

Good info BB! The reason I talked about Houston yesterday is because from my understanding they asked that we did not make any moves without giving them last call. My guy feels like they are willing to cave into our demands if it comes down to it. My guy said Houston almost has to get the big bat to have any hope of reaching the playoffs! With that being said I still look for them to be involved until the end.

BELKAST! Buddy! How ya been? Sit down, make yourself at home. Would you like some coffee? :)

You can see we're stir crazy! This thread is up to like a million pages. We've spent most our weekend hitting a refresh button. Help us out, what direction are things going in? Does a deal look likely or is Tejada likely staying put? Are you saying the Angels are going to cave into our demands? Whats PA's attitude towards all this? This magical Houston offer, what exactly is it? Is it as good or better as Anaheim's?

Hey, look who's here! C'mon man, we're starved for info...one post every 3 days is no fair.

THAT nugget about the Astros is great info. If we let it be known that the Astros essentially have right of first refusal, you'd assume that the Angels would be more willing to deal since they'll know that we've got another very serious options. Sounds good to me.

On that note... ESPN Insider:

Astros shopping Lidge?

Jul 29 - The Astros appear to be close to sending RHP Brad Lidge to the Texas Rangers, according to ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney. This might be related to the Astros' efforts to land a hitter. Lidge makes $3.975 million.

Maybe the Rangers give the players/prospects needed to add to the Astros offer for Tejada...???

I'd tell Houston we want Hirsh and Pence and we'll take Ensberg and see what they counter with. They probably won't go that far, but they are deperate as they've put everything into this season and have apparently given up on Ensberg. He would be the real steal IMO. We can add on a mid-level prospect if need be.

I agree with everything you said but this. I just don't have much faith at all in PA... especially since he is allegedly putting all his time and effort into MASN.

But your'e right on about BigBird... he is the man, and makes this board soooo much more interesting. Gotta love it. We're privileged to have him.

Belkast's ears must have been ringing with all of this love going BB's way!

I'm certainly no fan of PA but I do remember what he did for the club after he bought it. Remember when the criticism of the O's was that they had a huge payroll and weren't any good? He's tried that route and is looking to go another way until MASN is done. I can deal with that as long as it doesn't take another 10 years.

BELKAST! Buddy! How ya been? Sit down, make yourself at home. Would you like some coffee? :)

You can see we're stir crazy! This thread is up to like a million pages. We've spent most our weekend hitting a refresh button. Help us out, what direction are things going in? Does a deal look likely or is Tejada likely staying put? Are you saying the Angels are going to cave into our demands? Whats PA's attitude towards all this? This magical Houston offer, what exactly is it? Is it as good or better as Anaheim's?

Boy you're asking me to answer a question that nobody but PGA can answer. I know for a fact that trading Tejada has more steam then it did a week ago!! I asked my guy what the chances of him being traded and he said 60/40 at this point. My gut says he'll go to Houston being they play in a different league then us. I don't know the exact players involved with the Stros or LAA but I was told we like both possibilities. As I said my guy thinks in the end we can squeeze alittle more out of Houston then LAA. We'll see!

Neat. Thanks again for the info. Don't be a stranger now, ya hear? :)

If Houston is that desperate I think Ensberg, Lane, Everett, Pence and Hirsch for Tejada and Conine could be doable and a very good deal for us.

Did Angelos reject an offer from the Astros late last evening???

Archived