Raul Mondesi (27.2)

Jon Olerud (56.8)

Rafael Palmeiro (66)

Kirk Rueter (12.10)

Benito Santiago (23.8)

B.J. Surhoff (34.4)

Larry Walker (67.3)

So...who, if any, would you vote for?

Like Bagwell and Palmeiro here. Gotta admit while I was disappointed with the steroids with Raffy, the fact of the matter is that nearly everyone did them in that era and Palmeiro was a solid hitter. Always thought it was too bad that Bagwell just missed the Astros' only WS apperance and that Biggio was way past his prime when that happened.Larry Walker was very good but I don't know if I'd call him a hall of famer. It really is amazing I must say to see all these names on the ballot for the first time since I grew up watching these guys as they all were in their primes in the mid 90's which is when I became a big baseball fan.

I shudder to think of anyone who would consider voting for Raffy the first time he is eligible, just to make the statement that anyone who did steroids is NOT a first ballot HOFer!

Down the road, I am all for voting based on statistics only, but first ballot HOFers should be special all around IMHO.

I voted for Bagwell only and even then...

Ok, and which question does that answer? :laughlol:

I think it does. If the player is believed to have achieved those statistics while using PEDs, then it definitely answers both questions.

It is where I (or someone else) draws the line. Some feel steroid users should never enter the Hall. Some want an asterisk by their name. I think voting them in down the road, with an asterisk, based on statistics is a good middle ground that allows the game of baseball to move on without letting the player get away with using PEDs.

I also happen to think that Pete Rose should have been voted in long ago, but should still be banned from baseball. That is a more clear cut issue to me.

This steroids thing is definitely complicated and I am only offering my personal opinion.

Bagwell and Raffy for me and that's it. Walker and Kevin Brown are close but not quite.

This ballot is starting to get logjammed with quality candidates thanks to voting in guys that are barely deserving like Rice and Dawson.

My ballot would look like this:

Blyleven

Alomar

Larkin

Raines

Bagwell

McGwire

Palmeiro

Edgar Martinez

MAYBE Alan Trammell, I'm about as on the fence on him as you can be, but I think if I had an actual ballot I would vote for him.

Bagwell and Raffy for me and that's it. Walker and Kevin Brown are close but not quite.

This ballot is starting to get logjammed with quality candidates thanks to voting in guys that are barely deserving like Rice and Dawson.

My ballot would look like this:

Blyleven

Alomar

Larkin

Raines

Bagwell

McGwire

Palmeiro

Edgar Martinez

MAYBE Alan Trammell, I'm about as on the fence on him as you can be, but I think if I had an actual ballot I would vote for him.

I think that's my list but I'd be on the fence like you about Trammel but also Harold Baines. Don't get me wrong. Baines was a favorite of mine on those mid 90's Orioles clubs and he always seemed to get big hits but I see him as very good but not a great. Of course, there are people who are lesser than him already in the HoF. And I certainly don't begrudge him or Edgar whose candidancy I do support for being DH's since after all it wasn't their choice and the DH has been around for nearly fotty years now. Voters don't have to like it but it's been part of the game for a while now and many fans such as myself it's all we've ever known.

I think that's my list but I'd be on the fence like you about Trammel but also Harold Baines. Don't get me wrong. Baines was a favorite of mine on those mid 90's Orioles clubs and he always seemed to get big hits but I see him as very good but not a great. Of course, there are people who are lesser than him already in the HoF. And I certainly don't begrudge him or Edgar whose candidancy I do support for being DH's since after all it wasn't their choice and the DH has been around for nearly fotty years now. Voters don't have to like it but it's been part of the game for a while now and many fans such as myself it's all we've ever known.

Loved Baines, one of my favorites as well, but he's not particularly close to the HOF for me. Like BJ Surhoff. Love him, but not in the HOF.

Edgar is in another world than Baines. That dude was one of the best RH hitters of all-time.

Loved Baines, one of my favorites as well, but he's not particularly close to the HOF for me. Like BJ Surhoff. Love him, but not in the HOF.

Edgar is in another world than Baines. That dude was one of the best RH hitters of all-time.

The amazing thing about Martinez I noticed was that he did not become a regular starter until he was 27 which to put things in perspective is how old Markakis will be this coming season. Just a great hitter as you said though. I recall hearing that it was Edgar not Griffey Jr that was the one that all the Mariners fans loved most. I hope he gets in. Holding the DH against guys is stupid in my opinion. Agree about Baines. He's in my hall of personal favorites and of very good too but he's just not a HoFer to me. Always liked him too as I said.

Alomar, Larkin and Raines, and that's it.

Sorry Bert.

5th all time in strikeouts and you don't want to vote for Blyleven?

Also, no Bagwell? Why? (I assume Raffy and McGwire were left off for steroid reasons, which I disagree with completely, but not worth arguing that.)

5th all time in strikeouts and you don't want to vote for Blyleven?

Also, no Bagwell? Why? (I assume Raffy and McGwire were left off for steroid reasons, which I disagree with completely, but not worth arguing that.)

Hall of Very Good for Bert. I'm in my mid-40's, so I say him pitch for several seasons, loved his intensity, and he is very borderline in my mind, but not HoF worthy. FWIW, he'll gmake the HoF this winter.

Bagwell and Raffy would get my vote (if I had one) over time---maybe in two or three years.

McGwire? Never. A one trick pony, and the juice defined his one trick.

Archived