Yankees reportedly increase offer to 7 years for Lee

Sports Guy

If Texas offered Lee something like 6/138, would that be similar money to what he would actually get when you take state taxes into account?

Assuming the NY offer is 7/150 I believe the state tax would be something like 1.5M/yr. So 10.5M. Pretty similar. You would also have to compare local income taxes and some other things, but you obviously can buy a lot more in Texas so I have to think Texas wins out in that event anyway.

If Texas gets up near 140 I think the only issue remaining is how much more the Yankees are willing to throw down and whether Lee cares where he ranks in the list of highest paid players. Not knowing the guy we have no way of knowing.

Lee's wife preferring Texas is a big deal obviously but NYY were able to woo CC and his wife and they were pretty resistant, too.

Assuming the NY offer is 7/150 I believe the state tax would be something like 1.5M/yr. So 10.5M. Pretty similar. You would also have to compare local income taxes and some other things, but you obviously can buy a lot more in Texas so I have to think Texas wins out in that event anyway.

If Texas gets up near 140 I think the only issue remaining is how much more the Yankees are willing to throw down and whether Lee cares where he ranks in the list of highest paid players. Not knowing the guy we have no way of knowing.

Lee's wife preferring Texas is a big deal obviously but NYY were able to woo CC and his wife and they were pretty resistant, too.

As someone who just moved from NYC to Wisconsin, I'll echo this and say that not only would the cash be equivalent, the cost of living differential is so great that Texas could be offering almost 35% more in value.

I honestly think they could hold at 5 or 6 years and have a great chance of signing him, unless he is dead set on going to the top pure dollar offer.

The Yanks can offset some of the state tax difference by giving him a BIG signing bonus, which I believe is an enticement to work somewhere and taxed by your home state.

So, if someone lives in Texas and instead of getting paid 20 mil. the first year of a contract, but instead gets paid 5 mil the first year but is paid a 15 mil. signing bonus, there are no taxes on that money.

But I think Lee lives in Arkansas, where there is state tax, but probably much lower than New York.

As someone who just moved from NYC to Wisconsin, I'll echo this and say that not only would the cash be equivalent, the cost of living differential is so great that Texas could be offering almost 35% more in value.

I honestly think they could hold at 5 or 6 years and have a great chance of signing him, unless he is dead set on going to the top pure dollar offer.

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but last night on MLB Network they were talking about how Mrs. Lee does not want to sign with NY. I honestly think that Lee is just holding out for more money/years from the Rangers and that he will take that. One can hope, anyway.

Archived