Brendan25

Want proof Gregg is a good signing?

BOOM:

Career ERA+: 109

Number of consecutive years w/23 or more saves: 4

SO/BB Rate in last two odd seasons (07, 09): 2.18 and 2.37, respectively

Number of HR allowed in 2010 as compared to 2009: -9

THAT'S HOW YOU DROP DATA, SON!

You didn't give that sentence nearly the amount of exclamation points it deserves. That was a four exclamation point sentence, minimum.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I completely agree. Will Ohman was one of them. Noone expected him to be as dominant as he was to start the year last year. But there are also scrap players that get picked up and play like Garrett Atkins.

Is Gregg as good as Rafael Soriano? No, but he is CONSISTANTLY a reliever that has an ERA around 3.50 - 4.00. I'll pay for that.

Fine..But instead of 12 million, you could have paid 2 million.

This is just dumb. To overpay 10 million for a 3.8 ERA reliever is idiotic.

Guest Hayden2004

danconnollysun Dan Connolly

#Orioles have not made a $12 million offer to Kevin Gregg. Club doesn't feel any deal is imminent. 2 year offer bw 8-10M still on table

Connolly via twitter:

@danconnollysun

Dan Connolly

#Orioles have not made a $12 million offer to Kevin Gregg. Club doesn't feel any deal is imminent. 2 year offer bw 8-10M still on table

Look, if you're going to go ahead and waste $4-5M a year on a meh reliever, you might as well just go ahead and waste the extra $1-2M a year on him.

Not very high. Rivera has been over 2.6 WAR only three times in his career. IMO, WAR doesn't do a good job in accounting for their value, but I don't really have much to back it up except pointing you to Rivera's worth.

Hmm...this is actually really interesting. Out of the 163 relief pitchers who threw 40 innings or more last year, 49 of them finished with a WAR of 1.0 or better. According to the measure, Mr. Gregg was precisely as valuable as Jason Berken :P

You're probably right...doesn't seem to be a great standard.

Regardless, good to hear the contract report is probably false/overblown.

Okay, I don't 100% agree. Every year, many of the best relievers are signed off the scrap heap, but this is more an artifact of reliever seasons being small sample sizes by definition than because reliever true talent is specifically more valuable than starter true talent. If you want consistent production, you have to pay for quality, if you can identify it. If you roll the dice on cheap acquisitions, sometimes you get what you need and sometimes you get a guy who's cut in Spring Training.

Then why are we signing Gregg? :wedge:

Connolly via twitter:

@danconnollysun

Dan Connolly

Whether it is 8 million, 10 million or 12 million, its still a stupid contract..Its just different degrees of stupidity.

I think our offer is still out there. . Probably since Boston is one of the main suitors,you send out a rumor and try to get them to up their bid.

I bet there's some truth to this. Maybe MacPhail's offer (2 years/8-10 million) is on the table because it's not so wildly expensive that if he accepted, we'd be in a tough spot, but it's also high enough to make Boston's bullpen reconstruction more difficult and expensive.

Archived