Source: Orioles Close To Signing Kevin Gregg To Two Year Deal

Brendan25

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't care about the contract as long as it doesn't impede us from signing anyone else.

This is really the key point in all this. I don't care at all if they spend 2/$12 mm on a Grade B reliever, so long as it doesn't stop us from going after Lee or Laroche now or a bigger name next offseason.

What I do care about, is actually getting some decent results for our money, for once. Is that so much to ask?

You are pretty sassy today, sir.

Want proof Gregg is a good signing?

BOOM:

Career ERA+: 109

Number of consecutive years w/23 or more saves: 4

SO/BB Rate in last two odd seasons (07, 09): 2.18 and 2.37, respectively

Number of HR allowed in 2010 as compared to 2009: -9

THAT'S HOW YOU DROP DATA, SON!

It's a poor use of resources. Granted, we probably needed a body, but he certainly is not a dominant reliever. I would have gone after the most ready competent looking Rule 5 guy. Let Johnson and Vandenhurk fight it out for 7th inning guy. Gonzo and Koji are the 8th and 9th inning guys. Use Berken and maybe Patton as the long guys. To commit 12 mil to a guy who gives you a 1.38 WHIP as the closer doesn't appeal to me.

Yep. How would $12M be put to better use for a team that won't contend this year.

1. In a bullpen guy with a career ERA over 4, and a WHIP over 1.3; OR

2. In the Rule 4 draft, and international FA?

So then you move onto another pitcher.

This is an idiotic contract with zero justification.

He isn't that good...You just paid 6 million a year for a guy who has saved a good amount of games and put him on a team that doesn't need a closer.

Pure stupidity.

Yeah I heard Koji was going to pitch every game this year and not get hurt. It's from a reliable source.

I can only get upset about this if the money impacts something else.

Otherwise this seems like the kind of thing that lots of major league teams take chances on. Or would you rather pick Matt Albers back up.

sox look at albers

He's an upgrade over Albers that's for damn sure. And if we're not doing well and Gregg is doing OK we can probably move him during the year. Yeah we don't get picks but the guy is solid enough to contribute here.

Not sure this move merits the pitchforks.

BOOM:

But how did he do against the AL East?

The past four years he has had an ERA under 4.00 in 3 years and an ERA+ of 119 or more in 3 years. How exactly is he below average?

An ERA in the 3.7-4 range, for a reliever, isn't that good.

You can get that production for 1 million bucks or less.

He isn't elite.

He does get a lot of K's but that's the only good thing you can say about him.

Just stupid...At least we didn't lose a pick but this is actually a dumber signing than Gonzo..if you just look at the signing in a vacuum and take out the draft pick part of it.

Gonzo is/was a better pitcher than Gregg.

BOOM:

This was the equivalent of a slow play in poker and I would have repped you but I must spread around first.

This is really the key point in all this. I don't care at all if they spend 2/$12 mm on a Grade B reliever, so long as it doesn't stop us from going after Lee or Laroche now or a bigger name next offseason.

What I do care about, is actually getting some decent results for our money, for once. Is that so much to ask?

This.

I'm meh on Gregg but we're not giving up a pick so as long as this doesn't prevent us from doing something else I don't really care.

An ERA in the 3.7-4 range, for a reliever, isn't that good.

You can get that production for 1 million bucks or less.

He isn't elite.

He does get a lot of K's but that's the only good thing you can say about him.

Just stupid...At least we didn't lose a pick but this is actually a dumber signing than Gonzo..if you just look at the signing in a vacuum and take out the draft pick part of it.

Gonzo is/was a better pitcher than Gregg.

The Orioles had four relief pitchers that had an ERA under 4.00 last year. Will Ohman was one of them. Jason Berken was another and noone knows how healthy he is.

So how else do you want to upgrade your bullpen? Resign Matt Albers? What other option do you have for our bullpen?

Archived